Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

WWF New Generation Thread III

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Even when I didn't know who he was I just thought Corino was too punchable.

If his word is anything to go by, too, it's a total shame the Fake Razor and Diesel thing didn't get over because they were gonna make him fake 123 Kid.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
As I've said in many Rumble history threads- I thought Razor was taking the belt off Bret.
If that happens.... that Rumble finish has to alter.
Do they do the first double dip and have Bret come back and win the Rumble to set up WM 9?
Macho Man to set up the final Macho/Razor clash, but with heel Razor winning, and then the Hogan swerve?
Mr Perfect to bolster the hot new babyface to the big title?
The absolute worst option and give Backlund the time record and the win to set up the lowest PPV buyrate in history?

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Valeyard

Reaction score
I wish the full Coliseum Video recap of the charity softball game before Summerslam 94 was available. Dink running to first base is one of the funniest things they've ever recorded.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Listening to JR's KOTR 93 pod from last June this AM (Avoiding the Nash pod again...) and I was surprised to hear Bret came into the PPV with a legit knee issue and had 3 bangers anyway.

JR is hitting most of his usual talking points (Run the play the coach calls, Everyone should be able to do a job w/o an issue if you know how to work..., Vince fired me X2 this year - perhaps because he was sick of my southern voice even though he put me on RAW that summer. ) But since it's been a bit since I listened to JR, I'm enjoying it.

JR thought Mike Shaw should have gotten a better push. I'm not sure the 1987 Makah Singh was in the sloppy fat of 1993 Shaw.

He blamed Bryan Clarke's lack of charisma on why a guy who looked like that failed to get over in the WWF.

JR also takes zero credit for any of the recent WCW guys getting signed in 1993. JR was just doing what was asked and trying to survive the political BS in the WWF. Lord Al was mad at JR for taking Gorilla Monsoon's spot....as if Monsoon wouldn't have had the pull to call his own shots.

Valeyard

Reaction score
KOTR '93 is the best night of work Bret ever did. I can't think offhand of a time anyone had two ***1/2+ matches and one 5* in the same night. Maybe Liger.

Shaw deserved better pretty much everywhere. Even when in shitty shape, I think he had something to offer to the lower card beyond being fat and ugly. Smart enough worker to at least get a better shot.

Clarke was fine and I feel like part of any charisma complaint about the WWF run is that his name is fucking Adam Bomb in a cartoon promotion. When he was in WCW, he didn't have any of the percieved issues as before because he was from day one a cool looking guy who beat the shit outta people and not cutting scripted promos with bomb puns and shit.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I was thinking of that Razor shirt earlier this week, specifically how Walter Payton managed to split it down the middle, under the collar, at Summerslam 94 by not doing anything.

Tantanka's shirt looks like merch from a Wyoming gay bar.

I really don't miss the age of people's faces all over merch.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
WWE Shop sells a reprint of that Tatanka shirt. It pops up in my sponsored feed sometimes.

And shockingly, no. I have not bought it. Maybe if it was red Mohawk Tatanka.

Last edited:

Valeyard

Reaction score
tatanka_tee_2_grande.jpg

There was a really obnoxious old guy where I used to live to wore this all the time to the store. That specific version.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score

They went a little scorched earth on Hogan after his 93 run. The WWF magazine posted pics of Hogan looking "scared" as they covered Yoko's rise.
Maybe they should have gone all the way with Luger at Summerslam and washed the Hulkamania residue off once and for all.

It'd be kind of funny/sad if they ran 2 Manias in a row where Yoko won the belt and lost it the same night (Assuming they would go Yoko over Luger - then Bret over Yoko)

I wonder if Vince thought he was getting more Hogan dates than he ended up with after handing him the title or if the NJPW promo chaffed Vince's britches. (Plus Vince had given Linda control of the company in the summer of 93 to help protect it from whatever was to come from the law chasing down Vinnie Mac. )

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score

They went a little scorched earth on Hogan after his 93 run. The WWF magazine posted pics of Hogan looking "scared" as they covered Yoko's rise.
That was one of the first issues of WWF Magazine I ever bought. That article also mentioned Hogan being so shattered by that Yokozuna defeat that he could only wrestle in some old timers circuit* down South.

*Meanwhile WWF was about to put the title back on 45 year old Bob Backlund (and the current World Champion Bret Hart was only four years younger than Hulk Hogan)

Sex Machine Gun

Kotzenjunge
Reaction score
That Raw clip with Savage going off is surreal. Guess nine year old me didn't hear a lot of post-Hogan commentary on school nights. Even then, that's the WWF going way out of their lane of not mentioning something that isn't theirs three years before Billionaire Ted.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Valeyard

Reaction score
That Savage rant was also when heat was highest with he and Hogan, if I remember correctly. Like I think Liz was staying with the Hogans then during the separation or something and Savage was extra surly.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I'm sure he made up for it with a nine minute rest hold

Valeyard

Reaction score
For $14 it's kinda awesome though. Kid me would've loved it.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Perfect, Bigelow, and Diesel were what's up. My visceral hatred of Well Dunn would make Mabel crashing on them fun in itself

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Looks like a good card to me, especially for a fundraiser. I assumed they'd have several unrecognizable names on those.