Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

AEW in Fall 2022- Spreading lies and bullshit to the media.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The only times I've found him at all compelling was the one promo he cut in the recent Moxley feud and when he and Bryan were bleeding all over each other. Otherwise he's just another guy who can wrestle fine but doesn't connect with me at all.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I'm sure a huge part is that Punk and Bryan showed up and totally changed what I looked for in the shows, but the Hangman quest for the title didn't really resonate with me. New guys I liked more showed up, he was off TV for a long time, and there's still Dark Order stink.

Tino Standard

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I hate to say it, but taking the extended time off when his kid was born completely torpedoed Hangman’s momentum and he never regained it. That story with him vs the Elite was building to a perfectly timed payoff at All Out 2021, but then he disappeared for a couple months, Punk and Danielson showed up, and by the time Hangman returned, the moment had passed. His title win felt anti-climactic.

Valeyard

Reaction score
He goes through moments where he's all the West Texas Rednecks as they were in 1993. But if you go by the casual AEW fans that title chase is literally thought of as the best ever.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
fairly good episode. Even when mox is a little off he still is great. Not at all excited (big shock) to have the elite back but I'm accepting. Really looking forward to seeing Akiyama on Friday. I won't be watching the ppv live but I should catch it latter that night.

skullman80

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The closing segment fell flat to me last night. Not sure if it was cause the crowd sucked, but it was just meh. Overall a good show though. I am going to miss the PPV anyways cause I have a concert saturday night.

Valeyard

Reaction score
They need to stop signing people until they start cutting people. Like, for the good of the talent at this point.

I can't get behind a night where Bandido loses and the Elite are announced. It's beginning to feel like TK doesn't know how to open a save game in real life.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think AR Fox can fill the role that I think Tony Khan intended for Joey Janela (B/C show stalwart that can fill in on the main shows if they need a spot filled) but actually be good/impressive.

I'm not gonna complain about people having jobs but AEW has to be careful if they want to avoid ending up like '98/'99 WCW (CWM: STOP COMPARING AEW TO LATE '90s WCW, Kamala!)

Valeyard

Reaction score
But they have like 20 people to be stalwarts and honestly Fox deserves better. At least Janela seemed like the kinda guy who would do something stupid and die on a webshow.

I'm also gonna assume Miro is dead because how the fuck could he be anything else.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
I think AR Fox can fill the role that I think Tony Khan intended for Joey Janela (B/C show stalwart that can fill in on the main shows if they need a spot filled) but actually be good/impressive.

I'm not gonna complain about people having jobs but AEW has to be careful if they want to avoid ending up like '98/'99 WCW (CWM: STOP COMPARING AEW TO LATE '90s WCW, Kamala!)

If they want to pair him with Top Flight going forward, as a trios team they're going to be great.

Personally, I don't care who Tony signs. If he wants to sign every indie talent to contract, I'm all for it. It's not my money, and the talent have been busting their asses for our entertainment for so long, get that bag. Plus, many can still work indies, so if they want to continue wrestling while under contract, they're still good there. AR Fox is a guy who should have been on TV years ago, but some stuff in his past stopped that from happening.

Tino Standard

Integral Poster
Reaction score
My hope is that things begin to settle down after this weekend. The world title picture has been a mess since May, first with Punk’s injury and then the All Out debacle. Maybe this isn’t how Tony K envisioned getting there, but if they can put the title on MJF on Sunday, which seems like it has been the long-term plan all along, they can get back to some sense of stability that they haven’t had for 6 months.

Valeyard

Reaction score
When WWE did that they were hoarding talent though.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
The other thing about WWE hoarding, with AEW they are still able to do outside work, especially if they are lower on the totem, while WWE would just have them sitting around if they aren't on TV . But if that's where the talent wants to be, and they're making money and are happy, go for it.

Tino Standard

Integral Poster
Reaction score
My hope is that things begin to settle down after this weekend. The world title picture has been a mess since May, first with Punk’s injury and then the All Out debacle. Maybe this isn’t how Tony K envisioned getting there, but if they can put the title on MJF on Sunday, which seems like it has been the long-term plan all along, they can get back to some sense of stability that they haven’t had for 6 months.
And this extends to the trios titles too. They delayed those for months until Omega was cleared. When they finally held the tourney, the Bucks and Omega were suspended almost immediately after winning the belts.

I know the Elite are a polarizing entity, but for better or worse, there was a plan in place to build a division around them, and their suspension added another layer of chaos to an already turbulent time.

Again, maybe this is all wishful thinking on my part, but hopefully Tony can get out of scramble mode and back to some long-term storytelling.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I just want them to know what they're getting into. You bust your ass, get to the highest level pro wrestling allows, but you might barely be on TV and occasionally on the webshow. But money though. Say what you want about WWE but they used a lot of the big indie signings consistently.

It just feels like it's against what AEW should be doing if they're signing people just to sign them.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I go back to this often but man, if I'm Sonny Kiss I'm pissed.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd rather some of these guys sign with WWE so the talent is spread out a bit more evenly but I really don't care about AEW signing up as many people as they can. They're allowed to work anywhere outside of WWE (or maybe GCW?) they want. AEW has guys go down with injuries like any company and guys get pushes. I don't feel like AEW is just signing people to sign them. People get chances. They only have 3 hours of national tv.

Valeyard

Reaction score
You can't convince me people like Lethal or Cabana weren't signed just to sign them. As far as smaller guys, it's hard to say because I barely see them.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If Lethal was signed just to sign him he wouldn't be on every show, he'd be sitting at home. Cabana, you know I don't like him at all but before Punk came in he was working as a road agent or producer so he was someone they had a use for even if was questionable.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
And this extends to the trios titles too. They delayed those for months until Omega was cleared. When they finally held the tourney, the Bucks and Omega were suspended almost immediately after winning the belts.

I know the Elite are a polarizing entity, but for better or worse, there was a plan in place to build a division around them, and their suspension added another layer of chaos to an already turbulent time.

Again, maybe this is all wishful thinking on my part, but hopefully Tony can get out of scramble mode and back to some long-term storytelling.

One thing about Tony is he always seems to have a plan in place for stories. Punk getting hurt originally messed things up since word is he was going to drop the title to MJF in Chicago. MJF walking screwed that up. The suspensions screwed things up, too. I think with The Elite back, and if MJF wins, thing will calm down a bit and put them back in place to where Tony wanted them to go.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Sonny Kiss is lucky to have a job. There's so many better acts in the company, and wrestling at large. Sonny has been used appropriatly for their talent and appeal level, which is on the youtube and preshow.
Yeah, the positioning is 100% appropriate, but mostly I'm thinking about how important it was presented to have them on the roster. It was a huge move and Sonny was gonna be featured enough to take advantage of it and be a big deal only to get shunted down to Dark almost from the beginning. If they'd known that when they signed, they might not have.

I just want a union with Billy Gunn so Kiss Ass can happen tbh