Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

AEW in Fall 2022- Spreading lies and bullshit to the media.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Philosophy behind the structure of last night's show is interesting. Meltzer was saying that Tony Khan knew the rating would be lower than normal because of the World Series so he loaded it up with random surprises for the DVR crowd to fast forward to.

Now whether Double J and Shibata are great surprises is up for debate. Except at TSM. :cool:

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Shibata is absolutely a great surprise. Did you hear the crowd reaction? That's in random ass Baltimore. The overwhelming majority of people who watch AEW know who he is and want to see him. It also strengthens the relationship with NJPW even more. All the workers in the company worship the guy. It is nothing but a positive.

You can argue Jarrett but if he is working backstage that is a positive. His last run in WWE he was extremely successful. They need some more people who can actually get heat. As long as he's only going to be on screen for a brief run it isn't bad.

The return of House of Black is also a huge positive.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I mean, I think there are only a dozen or so wrestlers who are genuine needle movers for fairweather fans and none of them are gonna show up in Baltimore semi-last minute. So I think for Tony Khan to succeed in what he was trying to do; he needed to appeal to his base and/or have the appearances be genuinely surprising. I think he succeeded in all front with all debuts except for the NXT guy but even then you can say it fit in the latter category.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
There's no way that NJPW should let them do Danielson Vs Shibata on a AEW ppv unless they also get it on a njpw show.
This is pure speculation, but I wonder if New Japan isnt cool with having Shibata work any matches within their organization quite yet (and maybe is heated at him for going into business and working a full match at the last WK), so this is where its at? Maybe NJ is going to let him work a few matches in AEW this month before they are comfortable moving forward with him in the ring? Maybe we finally get that KENTA/Shibata match at the Dome or something.

Danielson vs Shibata would be a killer WK match this year, but given the Dynamite schedule in Seattle seems unlikely to happen.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
the nxt/factory debut felt like it was a deliberate letdown in order to make the jarrett debut a bigger SWERVE.

From everything I've read NJPW doesn't have any heat with Shibata over the Dome. He's been regularly featured on NJPW broadcasts and obviously on NJPW USA. They might be wary of having him work again I agree and would rather test it out on AEW.

Staff member
Reaction score
There's no way that NJPW should let them do Danielson Vs Shibata on a AEW ppv unless they also get it on a njpw show.
I think as I've said before that New Japan sees no value in Shibata getting in the ring and they just don't want to do it. It's like why WWE wouldn't let Paige work there. They just won't do it no matter what information they get, they don't want to. Btw I'm just guessing but I wouldn't be surprised if Shibata-Danielson was on that Seattle show. Even though that would mean Shibata wasn't at the Dome at all maybe they see this as a good way to promote New Japan to outsiders. I don't really get what their logic is. He did also get a really big reaction which in some ways makes it surprising to me how AEW draws crowds as big as they do. I don't think there's really any time that any building full of this many people would have been keyed into something like that.

Dynamite last night didn't have any great matches but I thought a lot of the segments had value and were entertaining.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
But in all seriousness I think Shibata is fucking awesome and he and Orange could give us a truly genuine MOTY. Only issue I have is that I'm honestly still trying to get comfortable watching Shibata again, but that's a me thing.

Jarrett is fucking hilarious and if this turns into him using TK for a pyramid scheme it's even funnier but there is no circumstance ever, not even ironically, that I want him on TV ahead of Miro. Perfect example of my problems with TK shining through, only much more exaggerrated than I ever expected.

skullman80

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Shibata thing doesn't really resonate with me, but I get why it's a big deal for others. If it leads to some banger matches though than all the better.

I still think there is plenty of talent within the AEW roster that could use more exposure though in general. I really want the ROH stuff to just die, or go be on it's own show. I really hope that is the end game at some point.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Seriously might be too charismatic for Lance.

Was watching some old World Class last night though and holy shit he is what Gino Hernandez should've been.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm surprised that there isn't more of a backlash for Ethan Page going over Eddie Kingston. I guess one of Stokely's charges needs enough juice to be a credible challenger for MJF and I guess he's a better option than Big Cass.

skullman80

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Thought the show was way better than last week. Nothing that made me shake my head other than the Lethal match that led into the JJ segment. That was almost a channel changer for me. Everything else though ranged from good to great.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Ethan is good and I like him finally getting a push, but Kingston is still Kingston and I can't get behind him losing this soon.

Staff member
Reaction score
It seems obvious Page is supposed to win this tournament but I think that's a really bad idea, I think MJF's first feud as champion should be with Ricky Starks, but that's not going to happen. They've done a lot of shit lately that I don't understand.