Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

AEW in Fall 2022- Spreading lies and bullshit to the media.

Staff member
Reaction score

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
SeatGeek had tickets last night (and for Mohegan Sun two weeks ago) available for $1 the night of the show. Ouch.

Maybe running the Boston market three times in seven months (not to mention shows within a few hours like Mohegan and all of the NYC stuff) was excessive.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ethan Page will just get shuffled back down fast after losing. Kingston losing is part of a longer storyline but these losing storylines almost never work. Generally AEW has been successful with their longterm booking so I'm willing to see how it plays out at the ppv but most of the booking hasn't been super inspirational. Also (obviously) not looking forward to the triumphant return of the Elite at the ppv.

I'm hoping Regal slides MJF the knux to beat Mox and we start the collapse of the BCC (as much as I like them), Sammy turns or at least starts to turn on Jericho leading to Jericho going face and Sammy taking over the douche comedy heel unit, Hobbs beats Wardlow and Joe.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Saraya is just sort of unlikable when it comes down to it and Britt is one of AEW's icons whether people like it or not. That whole story is booked weird to me.

Jade should be killing both of them right now.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Ethan Page will just get shuffled back down fast after losing. Kingston losing is part of a longer storyline but these losing storylines almost never work. Generally AEW has been successful with their longterm booking so I'm willing to see how it plays out at the ppv but most of the booking hasn't been super inspirational. Also (obviously) not looking forward to the triumphant return of the Elite at the ppv.

I'm hoping Regal slides MJF the knux to beat Mox and we start the collapse of the BCC (as much as I like them), Sammy turns or at least starts to turn on Jericho leading to Jericho going face and Sammy taking over the douche comedy heel unit, Hobbs beats Wardlow and Joe.

I'm thinking it's Stoke that does this. His promo, right after MJF's, ended with him saying he was going to drag MJF to Hell. With MJF calling himself the Devil, that couldn't just be a coincidence. And the knucks is totally the pay off. He said he wouldn't use the ring on Moxley, but never said anything about the knucks.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
MJF being associated with The Firm kills his reign before it starts. So I seriously hope that isn't it.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Keep him away from the Firm on that scale. I like Stoke alright but the group would be a total handicap to MJF. I don't think it would kill him necessarily but it would be a total stumble unless it leads to something much bigger. Ethan Page being in the Lance Archer Death Slot makes sense but that's as far as it goes. But MJF nor AEW need another stable if you ask me.

MJF being too awesome to boo is such a weird curse to be blessed with. Dude can go in any direction without changing anything but I don't know if a lot of people can keep up.

If they don't just unify the belts with Joe and Wardlow then TK is an idiot. That better be the endgame.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Has Akiyama worked in the states before?

Akiyama is one of my all time favorite Japanese workers so this is pretty great. He's a Pillar to me. Takeshita should get a belt hotshotted to him, I don't care which.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

that's what came up when i looked

Valeyard

Reaction score
Ah shit. That's so cool.

AEW's got a unique chance for a real HOF if they so chose. Given the respect TK has for the business on a global level it would be great to have guys like the Pillars recognized because ain't no way WWE inducts them.

Slayer

I have no lies or truth in what I say
Reaction score
The discussion piqued my curiousity to look up the Four Pillars in North America (via Cagematch), and they did not cross the pond often if at all
  • Misawa was only here for a few matches in 2004 and again in 2007, latter most notably including his GHC defense against KENTA at ROH Glory By Honor. EDIT: Only under his real name. As pointed out by @alkeiper, as Tiger Mask 2 he was over here for a couple days at both Crockett Cup 86 and Wrestlerock 86
  • Kobashi was only here for the one week that included the Samoa Joe match
  • Kawada had the most unique history with a couple weeks in Texas late 1985 (including two tag matches against Paul Diamond and some guy named Shawn Michaels), then a month in Quebec over the following summer, never returned after
  • Taue, like Akiyama before this week, never made it over here

Last edited:

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
Kawada learned how to take steroids from Rick Martel and Tom Zenk during his time in Canada.

Kobashi mentions in his book that AJPW stopped sending young guys outside of the country around that time because Baba didn't feel like they had anything to learn from the US/Canada.

Super Leather

Integral Poster
Reaction score

that's what came up when i looked
I saw Jun Akiyama wrestle at a high school gymnasium for Pro Wrestling Revolution during this appearance. Good times. Ultimo Dragon, Tajiri, and Super Crazy were on the card too. Got a front row seat for general admission price and got to throw streamers at Akiyama.

Slayer

I have no lies or truth in what I say
Reaction score
Misawa also worked the ‘86 Crockett Cup as Tiger Mask alongside Baba.
oh good catch, after missing this I went back to Cagematch to figure why, because Tiger Mask is a separate search term; the oldest match listed for Misawa as himself was debut post-unmasking in May 1990. Knowing this I then re-searched NA under Tiger Mask for his time under the mask, and after a little parsing* found just that and his match the next night at the WrestleRock Rumble

*the rabbit hole one finds themselves down, in searching Tiger Mask in NA from 1984 to 1990, I found not only those two matches but also apparently Ken Wayne wrestled under the name of Tiger Mask in Central States Wrestling and Continental in 1984. Alas, GIS indicates he did not borrow any look from Sayama or the actual character when he probably should have. I would not have thought much of this otherwise though were there not an odd one-off match listed for Central States again in Feb 1989 where CM's link oddly goes to Misawa's name instead. Originally seeing that, the combo of the earlier association between CSW and Wayne plus the idea of Baba sending Misawa over for such a match had me hitting the "doubt" button hard... then I saw @tekcop's very relevant remark above and had a good laugh

Valeyard

Reaction score
Ken Wayne had the pedo energy any of the Japanese Tiger Masks just didn't have. Besides everyone knows you can't use the Tiger Mask gimmick properly unless you're first and last name start with the same letter.

I remember hearing once Kawada hated working in the states so much he doesn't like to ever talk about it.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
I remember hearing once Kawada hated working in the states so much he doesn't like to ever talk about it.
It's been like a decade since I read his book, but what I remember is he mostly worked in rural Canada, stayed in a motel that the other wrestlers dropped him off at, he walked the 3 miles or so to the local gas station to get junk food for his meals, and the fans yelled racial slurs at him during his matches.

He might have actually been one of the last AJPW guys to get sent over like that. Kobashi and Kikuchi were only a few years behind him and they never went on excursion.