Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

AEW in November 2023: Another day, another Tony Khan announcement.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Besides MJF, I'm having a hard time thinking of guys whose first World Title run caused their stock to drop except for dudes who only had one World Title run. Now obviously no one thinks MJF is going to end up like Jack Swagger but this run has kind of showed how much work he still has left to do.

And I mean he's only 27. He hasn't even entered his prime (ages 28 to 32, do you accept?)
I guess it depends on how you feel about Sting in 1990

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I was only 2 in 1990 so Idk what fan assessment was at the time but I think fans felt bad for Sting cause he got his break in an era when no one would have worked as a top guy.

I compare AEW to pre Hogan WCW but AEW at its worst still feels more alive than a lot of early ‘90s WCW.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
AEW is a much more unique phenomenon imo because it doesn't have a built in legacy like WCW did and it doesn't have a feeling of lameness. There's an element of WCW but also of ECW. I think using examples from so long ago almost don't work anymore. Internet and streaming being so prevalent have just changed the game. And then COVID and the state of the economy has made it much harder for what is still to most fans a new company.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Watching Raw tonight for the first time in ages (and actually paying some attention for the first time in YEARS) has only made me more appreciative of AEW. Yeah it has lots of problems and weird quirks but in some ways that is part of its charm. Everything WWE does is so fake and soulless.

Staff member
Reaction score
About QT Marshall, we don't have enough details to say whether or not it's good or bad. It could be about them putting Hobbs with him and deciding that was a bad idea and taking him off TV. It could be because they only push one or two of his trainees. It could also be because he's tired of writing and wants to be a wrestler and AEW doesn't value him as a wrestler. I can't say anything other than that if he wanted to be Cody's Brutus Beefcake I would find it very funny. That's another possibility too you know.

Valeyard

Reaction score
QT is going to embrace his career in Mexico, and if he doesn't he should.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
I know Cody probably has the stroke to get him "a" job in WWE. But, he as a VP in AEW. I can't imagine WWE would hand out anything close to that level just because Cody is your boy.

Maybe TK just thought he needed a change and he was only going to be able to stay on with a lower level position?

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
Watching Raw tonight for the first time in ages (and actually paying some attention for the first time in YEARS) has only made me more appreciative of AEW. Yeah it has lots of problems and weird quirks but in some ways that is part of its charm. Everything WWE does is so fake and soulless.
I appreciate AEW much more after watching Raw for 3 fucking hours tonight.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I hope they can build it effectively. If Drew doesn't come in, that's definitely 1b.

Staff member
Reaction score
I have heard from many, many people, some of whom did not know that this was happening, and most of whom did, so it was not a secret. Some have known for weeks, some have known for months. People have talked to him. He’s expressed his frustrations. There have been things that have happened. QT had a very well-paying job, he was a Vice President of creative and talent. He’s no longer doing the formats, but he did those for years. I think there’s a lot of things that have been said. One thing with QT, and it’s a big one – QT wants to be a wrestling star. And it wasn’t gonna happen in AEW. I know he expressed frustration to a lot of people about that – feeling he’s had good matches but he’s not been positioned to be a wrestling star there.
Of everyone that I heard from, not one had anything bad to say about QT. And most were sympathetic towards him. A lot of talent tweeted it, but a lot of talent privately, very supportive of QT and understanding his position

Yeah see as far as reasons for him leaving goes, this is pretty delusional but ok.

With Chris Jericho?
I dunno I think starting a company with a parking lot press conference in buttfuck Florida is p risky

Fall of Epic

Epic Reine
Reaction score
It's not like they didn't give him a chance to be a star. They paired him with Cody for months and when they eventually feuded, it stunk and got zero reaction. I can't hate him for betting on himself but they did give him that chance.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It appears that QT and TK had a falling out when Punk (that pesky rascal again) strongly urged TK to get QTV off Collision and to get Hobbs away from QT as it was ruining Hobbs presentation and Tony agreed.

This was a critical element to their relationship fracture between Tony and his former number 2.

Staff member
Reaction score
Team wait and see what happened before judging wins again. People leave great jobs for stupid reasons and that’s what happened here. Frankly if QT Marshall is all over someone’s tv show I do not want to watch it.

Valeyard

Reaction score
That sounds like something a butthurt guy who isn't a great worker but had his biggest storyline scaled back would say, too.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't hate QT as a worker, but he's not, like, someone you're excited to see. I always felt he dragged down Dustin, too. And that combover... man.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I refuse to invest on any positive level on a grown man calling himself QT.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
Tbh he's probably a bigger star than almost everyone in TNA right now. Definitely more than Josh Alexander, whoever that is. If he went there they would probably make him champ and if he wants to prove he can be a wrestling star he needs to go to a small pond.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Definitely more than Josh Alexander, whoever that is.
You know whenever I talk about TNA’s growth potential and possibility of them becoming a strong third option, I am going to remember this post. Everyone at CXF except me and three other people probanly the same feelings about TNA as the BUTTMAN.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I mean QT is a bulky dude with facial expressions while Alexander is a beady eyed goof in earmuffs. Objectively I can see people more interested in one than the other.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
im so done with wardlow honestly. I was never as into him as some were. I think he was very protected by his booking and now that he isn't he's pretty exposed.

Tino Standard

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Britt Baker is trending this afternoon after tweeting this last night:

…and also for liking this tweet (which was also liked by Jack Perry and Sammy Guevara):

If this is laying groundwork for a worked-shoot ahead of her being revealed as the devil, I think it’s a bad idea, but I see what they’re going for. If she’s just airing dirty laundry, that’s a really, really bad idea.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Apparently on Rampage tomorrow, Flair cut a really stupid promo about 18 year olds being sent to his hotel room.

Something tells me that there’s gonna be a truckload of Wooooo energy being offloaded at Jaguars tailgates in the future.