Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Bad Movies 2020 (and beyond)

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The lack of sexiness in these movies is really dire. Why are they casting these really attractive actresses in their mid to late 20's like Sweeney, Kathryn Newton, and Hailee Steinfeld and have them play teens? Also, it's funny that they are around the same age or older than ScarJo and Elizabeth Olsen were when they joined the MCU and are playing teens. At least there's that Brie Larson tank top scene in The Marvels.

The hunk factor (Aside from nude Thor in Love And Thunder and Momoa in Aquaman) has gone down big time in these as well. Women used to have so many options especially in the MCU with Hemsworth, Evans, RDJ, Hiddleston, Holland, Chadwick, Sebastian Stan, Michael B Jordan, Ruffalo for the sensitive dad hotness, Cumberbatch for the ratman hotness, etc. Obviously there's bigger problems with the genre, but the eye candy for men and women is a nice little bonus in these movies.

Gary

If You're Into It, I'm Out of It
Reaction score
Wish is getting not so stellar reviews. I think I've said this before, but "Guardians 3" is the only thing Disney has released in theaters this year that got a mostly positive response and great box office at the same time. Everything else has underwhelmed in both accounts, and I doubt next year will be much better. A case could probably be made for "The Little Mermaid" remake, but I don't know if anyone remembers that one.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Are you ready for the “comedy stylings” of Ben Shapiro and Matt Walsh? Or are you “triggered”, you lib cuck???

I am just relieved that the guy who looks a bit like Ike Barinholtz is not the actual Ike Barinholtz.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I had an irrational dislike of Ike Barinholtz for some reason. Could of been his face or that his slacker character that he always plays is stale to me. But, he legit impressed me last season on Celebrity Jeopardy, and seems like a real down to earth and cool dude. Glad, he's not in Lady Ballers.

Could make for a great double feature with the Sean Hannity film with a special animated appearance from Mike Huckabee Jingle Smells. Which is out now!!!

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
While I wouldn't call this one overtly the worst film of the year, and probably not even in the bottom ten.....yikes sitting through the new film Silent Night was a goddamn chore. I was shocked to hear this was a John Woo film too...it certainly had the aesthetics...birds involved in scenes for no fucking reason, cars swooshing in slow motion, etc. But for some reason, Woo and the other producers felt like they needed to make this film without any fucking dialogue (barring a few whispers from one character). Yes, there was plenty of background noise and chatter (they used radio and TV news speaking parts at times) which helped the film move a bit narratively but this was a challenging thing to do and I don't think it worked very well. It made the action scenes more amped up a bit and those aspects were very well done, but the stuff in between was rough.

They had given the main character a reason not to be speaking (vocal cords damaged) but as far as the rest of the characters? It made it really awkward and strange that nobody else was speaking with anyone about anything. Creative attempt to make this work but it was largely something nobody needs to try again in this context.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Did it being set at Christmas add anything to the movie? I heard no and the trailer didn't even have much of a Christmas vibe to it. That's the other draw for me besides Woo.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
Did it being set at Christmas add anything to the movie? I heard no and the trailer didn't even have much of a Christmas vibe to it. That's the other draw for me besides Woo.
It really didn't have much of a Xmas vibe really unfortunately. The initial setup of the film occured on Xmas day, but that's really the long and short of it. To say its loosely a holiday themed film would be at best, a stretch.

It's too bad they took this no dialogue route as if the main character stayed silent and the rest of the cast didn't, I think this would have created a better direction. But there was too many scenes of needed dialogue that it really made it seem overtly unrealistic that zero discussion would be had between, as an example.....the main character and his wife. But to his credit, Woo was trying to be very creative with emotion expression and how to tell this story in body language and within other unorthodox methods. Like I said the action scenes really hit and brought the intensity so it's not a complete dud.

Gary

Reaction score

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
While I wouldn't call this one overtly the worst film of the year, and probably not even in the bottom ten.....yikes sitting through the new film Silent Night was a goddamn chore. I was shocked to hear this was a John Woo film too...it certainly had the aesthetics...birds involved in scenes for no fucking reason, cars swooshing in slow motion, etc. But for some reason, Woo and the other producers felt like they needed to make this film without any fucking dialogue (barring a few whispers from one character). Yes, there was plenty of background noise and chatter (they used radio and TV news speaking parts at times) which helped the film move a bit narratively but this was a challenging thing to do and I don't think it worked very well. It made the action scenes more amped up a bit and those aspects were very well done, but the stuff in between was rough.

They had given the main character a reason not to be speaking (vocal cords damaged) but as far as the rest of the characters? It made it really awkward and strange that nobody else was speaking with anyone about anything. Creative attempt to make this work but it was largely something nobody needs to try again in this context.
I liked it more than you, but it did feel like a slog at parts especially in the middle. I will say Joel Kinnaman was fantastic and carried the silent parts well. I agree that it made no sense to have everyone else not talk either. That said, my man John Woo still has it with the action scenes. I thought some of the action set pieces were among the best of the year. Great intensity to them. I'm glad the shakey camera stuff during action scenes has appeared to die off. The epilogue was kind of cheesy and weak, but you have to have some corny melodrama in your John Woo film.

And yes, there was about 3% of Christmas in the movie and it was just a marketing ploy.

I'd go 6/10

Last edited:

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, I was actually rooting for this to do a little better. I didn't even like the first Aquaman that much, but I really like James Wan and want him to succeed. Hope we get another original horror movie next from him. I still really enjoy Malignant.

Gary

Reaction score
I actually like the last one in that it's the goofiest thing ever, but it embraces it without having to wink at you. When you've got an octopus playing war drums, you are doing something right IMO.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
This review from this thread is probably more entertaining than the movie

FUCK Disney Star Wars niggas. FUCK star trek shills.

Rebel moon is an ORIGINAL FUCKING IP that doesn't suck off nostalgiabait from the 70s unlike LITERALLY EVERY FUCKING SCI FI MOVIE THAT COMES OUT NOWADAYS

Rise of Skywalker is GARBAGE and is only liked by paid shills from Disney who SUCK IT OFF TO RECEIVE THEIR FAT PAYCHECK FROM THE MOUSE. It is OBJECTIVELY one of the worst movies ever made and only DISNEY NIGGAS AND PAID SHILLS LIKE IT.

now unwind a bit and go back to the last jedi

better than Rise of SHITwars but still a DOGSHIT MOVIE THAT IS A TOTAL FUCKING MESS THAT GETS SUCKED OFF BY TWITTE RNIGGAS TRYING TO BE REVOLUTIONARY or whatever when they are sucking off a MID CORPORATE product that has no fucking soul to it.

return of the fucking something (whatever the fuck the 7th star wars movie was called the Disney Shitwars movies are too dogshit for me to bother remembering their fucking names holy fucking shit). The best of the fucking DOGSHIT disney triology. But still a fucking ripoff of a new hope (AKA an actual fucking good star wars movie). Okay movie but it is riding the coattails of its IP

now Dune. Really really good fucking movie. But it's also based on a book and not an original propert. It's based on a really really good book but it's still based on a book. So a good movie that they did a good job on but at the same time it's not really that original since it's based on shit that came before.

And now Rebel fucking Moon. An ACTUAL ORIGINAL MOVIE that isn;t sucking off some IP from the 60s/70s. ACTUAL ORIGINALITY IN A GENRE THAT HAS DEVOLVED INTO SUCKING OFF STAR WARS/STAR TREK /70S SCI FI NOVELS. Literally LITERALLY the greatest fucking thing teh genre could have had. FUCK disney shartwars shills giving thsi movie a low score on rotten tomatos just because it SHITS ON theit soulless corportate product.

FUCK DISNEY STAR WARS

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
i watched Rebel Moon. So fucking bad. And like @Brocklock warned me to expect not even fun bad
You're saying the person I know who unintentionally said it's a classic because "inclusivity and obvious references to fighting fascism are excellent substitutes for drawn out storytelling and much more important in today's world" is a liar?

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's literal Space Nazi's. The lack of subtlety is so amazing. You got a fucking proud boy running around goose stepping and when I checked twitter half of them thought he was the best villian evah and the other half wanted to fuck him.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
At least name it Close Encounters Of The Third Reich.

Gary

Reaction score
Mickey Mouse (well, the "Steamboat Willie" version) is now in the public domain, so you know what that means