Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Bad Movies 2020 (and beyond)

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I read that Universal spent 400 million dollars to acquire the rights to The Exorcist. So, even if this does a 25 million opening, it still won't be profitable. I wonder if they'll just scrap the third one and just have it be a dualogy.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
So it sounds like the deal with these new Exorcist films is just re-doing the Halloween deal. No shock that the next two will be doing straight to Peacock (and assuming wide release similar) and I expect it to do the same business as those films. I guess Universal, despite the critical negativity esp on the last two Halloween films.....still makes huge off these with the deal they have.

Going back a bit, and I will probably dig on this more in the horror thread as I binged all the Exorcists films last week, and then went to the new one....I will say this much without getting too much in the weeds on it. I had never seen Exorcist 2 before last week and goddamn, this WAS to me one of the absolute worst sequels in horror history. It was so off the grain of the first, and had some really off the wall choices in many directions. Yes, it had laughably bad moments for sure but this was such a fucking mess of grand proportions. I think it was even worse than the two Exorcist prequels quite honestly. Like jaw dropping wtf bad.

Now onto this one.....I gotta say....this wasn't as offensively bad as I feared. There was some good nods to the original (not much but some) and some extensions of what I would call the core of the franchise tropes. Now did I think this was a great film? Fuck no. It has that same DGG formula of a frentic pace, montages of almost music video moments, etc. I'd put it around the middle of quality of these films in the franchise. I'll post a bit more on it all in the horror thread.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/five_nights_at_freddys

Well I guess it makes sense why Universal was trying to bury Five Nights At Freddy's. Originally they wanted to release it in less than 2,000 theaters. I've been reading up on the behind the scenes of the movie and it sounds really troubled. Two directors left including Chris Columbus and game creator Scott Cawthon spent years rewriting to try to "perfect" it and basically imprinted himself on everything involved in the movie. Reviewers are comparing it to George Lucas micromanaging the prequels.

Gary

If You're Into It, I'm Out of It
Reaction score
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/five_nights_at_freddys

Well I guess it makes sense why Universal was trying to bury Five Nights At Freddy's. Originally they wanted to release it in less than 2,000 theaters. I've been reading up on the behind the scenes of the movie and it sounds really troubled. Two directors left including Chris Columbus and game creator Scott Cawthon spent years rewriting to try to "perfect" it and basically imprinted himself on everything involved in the movie. Reviewers are comparing it to George Lucas micromanaging the prequels.
Outside of a few things, I know nothing about the games, and I everything about it looks like it's not my thing. Also, I know the core audience is kids (and furries), but something with a premise like this feels like it should be rated R.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'll probably watch it on Peacock to see what the hype is about, but there's already two similar recent movies in Willy's Wonderland and The Banana Splits Movie. I didn't really care for Willy's Wonderland, but that seems like it is more what I want in a wacky animatronic animals kill humans movie.

From looking at reviews online, even the FNAF fans think this is really watered down and weak.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Movie is cheap enough and market its catering to is big enough that I think it could be even worse than it allegedly is and still make back its money a few times over.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Oh yeah it's gonna be financially successful, but I wonder how big the drop will be for week 2. Especially since Halloween will be over.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Okay, so I watched FNAF and it might be the dullest movie I've seen this year. I've never played the games, but the premise seems to have a lot of camp and fun factor to it. I don't know if the games take itself as seriously as this movie does, but this was such a slog. No sense of fun at all and the characters are so bland. Matthew Lillard is good for the 8 minutes he's on screen, but the rest is so boring. I did like the look of the Animatronics and one scene was really gnarly for PG-13, but this is a waste of time and I'm probably not going to check out anymore movies in the franchise.

Last edited:

Gary

Reaction score
While FNAF is getting all the attention, There's a new movie called Freelance staring John Cena and Alison Brie. Anyway, reviews are horrible and I didn't know it even existed until yesterday. It's also from the guy who directed "Taken", and I think it's worth pointing out every movie he's done since then have been bad.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
While FNAF is getting all the attention, There's a new movie called Freelance staring John Cena and Alison Brie. Anyway, reviews are horrible and I didn't know it even existed until yesterday. It's also from the guy who directed "Taken", and I think it's worth pointing out every movie he's done since then have been bad.
I saw it over the weekend and its pretty fucking bad. Currently still holds a 0% on Rotten Tomatoes as well.

While I don't think its the year's worst, it is certainly in the top 5.

Fool's Paradise, Expendables 4, and Children of the Corn remake are all up there in terms of the lowest hanging fruit of the bunch of bad.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/upcoming-christmas-comedy-executive-producers-213300848.html

Jingle Smells features an all-star cast, including John Schneider, Eric Roberts, Ben Davies, Jim Breuer, Victoria Jackson, Dylan Postl, James Storm, Brad Stine and Sean Hannity.

NO NOT ERIC ROBERTS GOD DAMMIT. I knew he had issues when he was younger, but NOOOOO.

Lmao Hornswoggle and James Storm

" and a special voice appearance by Governor Mike Huckabee"

oh god

"The film features war veteran Nick Gutman (Ben Davies) who is forced to take a job with his dad's (John Schneider) quirky garbage men buddies, who are hired to conduct a wild secret mission — destroying perfectly good toys by Christmas Eve. These popular toys were pulled from the shelf after the film star on which they are based (James Storm) is “cancelled" for his patriotic views."

Last edited:

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Update: I did some sleuthing and Eric Roberts is a democrat and has criticized Trump a lot. He just accepts any role regardless of what it is. I could probably book him in a film about Fred Ottman that costs $900 to make.

So, thank god and Eric Roberts is still cool. I know he did some fucked up stuff when he was younger, but he seems so genuinely happy, sober, and game for anything in interviews and seems to have gotten his shit together as he's aged.

Last edited:

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
“Jingle Smells also stars Jim Breuer (Saturday Night Live), Victoria Jackson (Saturday Night Live), Dylan Postl (WWE), Brad Stine, Jaclyn Stapp, and Sean Hannity and features a special appearance by the Jay Sekulow Band and a special voice appearance by Governor Mike Huckabee.“

Sean Hannity: hey. I’m producing a movie called “Jingle Smells” about garbage men who deliver canceled toys to kids. Do you want to be in it?
Scott Stapp: I’m busy trying to get the Creed reunion together but can you put my wife in it?
Sean Hannity: Sure!

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Update: I did some sleuthing and Eric Roberts is a democrat and has criticized Trump a lot.
You’d be surprised how many people who oppose Trump are also wound up against cancel culture. I could easily see Eric being a Bill Maher type.

But also he is probably just cashing a check. He’d probably make a snuff film if the offer was right. He was in Human Centipede 3, which is only slightly more dignified and less terrifying than Jingle Smells

Gary

Reaction score
Jim Breuer being a dorky conservative is one thing, but the fact he’s employed by and is buddies with Steven Crowder is even sadder.

Gary

Reaction score
He’s not just a dorky conservative now though. He is veering closer to Owen Benjamin than Tim Allen.
QW4Jmag.gif

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I guess to paraphrase it’s more the “Let’s murder Democrats because they are lizard pedophiles” conservative than “You can’t wish anyone ‘Merry Christmas’ anymore conservative.”

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Jim Breuer is a blemish on Half Baked. Even as a kid, his performance got grating at times. At least everyone else is still hilarious in it.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score

I was excited for Eddie coming off of Dolemite Is My Name and his awesome SNL hosting performance, but he's let me down big time with Coming 2 America and You People. And this looks just like all the trash he was making in the 00's.

Hopefully, that biopic where he's playing George Clinton gets made because that could be really good.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Looks kind of like a stinker. I really like Dakota Johnson as an actress, but was that wooden "He was in the amazon with my mom while she was researching spiders right before she died" voiceover the best delivery she could come up with? It does have a good cast, but I'm not trusting these non Spidey Sony movies after Morbius. Oof the writers of this also did Morbius as well as Dracula Untold, The Last Witch Hunter, Gods Of Egypt, and the story for Power Rangers 2017.

Also, i thought Sydney Sweeney was playing Madame Web based on the hype I was seeing for this movie. So, it was a surprise that she's just a 26 year old high schooler in the supporting cast instead of the star.

Last edited:

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well based on the trailer and wikipedia Sweeney is supposed to be Julia Carpenter/Spider-Woman. All of the "high-schoolers" are more spin-off characters so buckle up.