Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Kamala's Random WCW Bullshit thread

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
My issue with Bix is his arrogance and his self-righteousness. He doesn't call people out for the right reason, but for credit or clout. That he is visually repulsive with anecdotes about his repulsiveness doesn't help at all. He also quit the old board because people were mean to him and that's always funny.
Leave Kamala alone!

--
Snuffy, Autist is a popular internet insult. Next you'll call me out on sexualizing my coworker and demeaning my buddy for being a moron!

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
2nd episode of BTS’ podcast on the History of WCW has dropped. This one covers the Spring of 1989.
So Flair comes to the WWF after Mania 5....
Would they align him with Arn and Tully (and Heenan?)
Windham might get a massive deal to stay in WCW then, even if he wanted to leave with Dusty.
Flair knee caps Rude and Hennig in the push realm. It may even mess with the Warrior if Vince decides to hold off Flair/Hogan for WM 6 somehow. 'Maybe Flair gets to be Zeus' leader instead of Macho? Hogan vs Flair is at Summerslam, and the Mega Powers do their final blow off on a Fri Main Event special in November?

Hell, JJ Dillon is in the WWF already, they could even do a stand up interview segment where he brings Flair to Heenan.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
The crime is that no matter how you cut it, we don't get Savage/Flair at their peak.

Flair/Hogan and Savage/Warrior is how Wrestlemania shakes out, I think. Summerslam would probably still be what it is, but Flair eats up Dibiase's feud with Jake.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Tenta-Bubba silver dollar of doom match at Bash at the Beach is more fun than it had any right to be.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
The crime is that no matter how you cut it, we don't get Savage/Flair at their peak.

Flair/Hogan and Savage/Warrior is how Wrestlemania shakes out, I think. Summerslam would probably still be what it is, but Flair eats up Dibiase's feud with Jake.
I mean, the flair vs savage match was still pretty epic. They were close enough.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Oh their match is my favorite match of all time. But them a couple years earlier is even better.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Vader wasn't too washed, though. 1999 was arguably the best year he'd had and 2000 was a step down but he was still hanging with elite talent.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
Goldberg vs Vader would have been a sick match unless booked by Russo, and even then maybe it would have been good up until the finish. If that was the Starrcade main event it would have done a .13 buy rate instead of .11.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
2nd episode of BTS’ podcast on the History of WCW has dropped. This one covers the Spring of 1989.
Zellner says Flair was legit hurt by Funk's piledriver. The original plan was for Funk vs Flair at the June Clash in a non title match. Funk was going to win and earn the number 1 contender spot. Feels like the way it played out IRL was much better.

Valeyard

Reaction score
He was a Teddy Long guy for some reason. Groomed to be the next Joey Maggs

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Fun discussion on this week's "Center Stage Chronicles" pod about how Macho Man's deal with the WWF was set to expire around WM5 (which seems like a big oversight by the WWF).
It could have been Savage confronting Flair at Wrestle War instead. OR Savage showing up after Wrestle War and attacking Steamboat.

With Bossman making 20K a night vs Hogan in Feb. it would have been INSANE for Macho to decide to jump to WCW, money guarantee or not.

Hogan's deal was up around this time too and some preliminary talks did happen if I remember the WONs correctly, but I'm sure it was just Hogan getting his leverage secured. Piper was talking to WCW in early 89 as well. IIRC he even had dinner with Jim Crockett, who was still an office geek after his family sold the company. He and Piper were friendly though.

Hogan had flirted with WGN in 1987ish to sign a deal with them, and then WGN would air AWA and Hogan would be the top draw. How far that got along as a bargaining chip vs reality is fairly obvious. You would think there could have been a plan B where WGN would at least help fund the AWA signing Sgt Slaughter and other free agents and try to test the ratings waters. AWA did good numbers on ESPN despite ESPN airing them all over the place.

Big Papa Paegan

L. A. Z.
Reaction score
I watched a bit of the 1/13/97 Nitro a few days ago and it's amazing to me how memorable DDP rejecting the nWo was...and how much of a casual afterthought it was treated as while happening. They moved on right after as if it didn't even happen.

I know that was the style at the time, to get to the next thing so that audiences at home wouldn't want to change the channel over to Raw, but it stuck out after so many years of similar moments getting almost too much airtime to "enhance the drama."

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Didn't Bischoff lose before Heyman despite having so many more resources?

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Didn't Bischoff lose before Heyman despite having so many more resources?
depends how you look at it. ECW was a minor success that lost Heyman and his parents at least 4 million dollars (per Heyman's recent Bio). WCW made millions for a few years before crashing and it was corporate money, not Eric's.

Bischoff's severance package in 99 was worth more than Heyman ever made in ECW. Then WCW gave Eric even more money to come back and fail again.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
Has Bischoff talked about getting a severance package from WCW? He didn’t actually get fired in ‘99 so I had always assumed he was just getting his salary to sit at home. I know he had a bunch of stock options that he was forced to cash out (and luckily did so before the crash).

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
He did several bonus podcasts on the Death of WCW when Vice was airing it that included his WCW dealings as part of the talk.

He was a vice prez in 99 so yeah he had a pay package when he got the boot. Then when they called him back to work with Russo, he was given a fresh contract.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Dude left so much money on the table by never using, or wanting, that tape library. Even if he bought that, he could've cut a deal with someone to produce state-of-the-art DVDs for the time.