Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Kamala's Random WCW Bullshit thread

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Was Wade Keller in the doc? Bischoff actually likes him now for some reason.

We have a separate thread for that docuseries btw. Let me discuss Disorderly Conduct in peace.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I feel like you could fit the stuff from that three month stretch that was actually good into a one hour compilation. Maybe.

What was worse; the Summer of Suck (1999) or January-March ‘00 WCW?

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Shit Jesse Hennig must have been the shits if Curt never got him any WCW dates, even as a jabroni.
There was a video on youtube of him working outside a bar with Curt and the Ax in his corner.

Fantasy booking.... Jesse comes in as Curt's derpy brother who wants to be "perfect" but is just Mike Von Erich '86 and constantly fucking up and losing.
Com'n Russo!

Jesse vs Lenny Lane in an almost literal dark match

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
WCW @ Alexandria, LA – Rapides Coliseum – June 23, 1999

Hugh Morrus defeated Lash Laroux

Kenny Kaos defeated Villano V

Chris Benoit & Dean Malenko defeated La Parka & El Dandy

Perry Saturn defeated Horace Hogan

Buff Bagwell defeated Disco Inferno

Konnan & Jim Duggan defeated Ciclope & Damian

Booker T defeated Diamond Dallas Page
--
Stinky line up from the Summer of suck.

You have 125 guys under contract and can't slam together a decent B show?

Is Konnan and Hacksaw a thing I've forgotten about?

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I’m assuming Hacksaw was a last minute fill in for Ray or Kidman. There was absolutely no on air affiliation for the two.

Hacksaw didn’t have any storylines in ‘99 WCW besides “Hey! We’re glad this guy didn’t die!” and that weird Saturday Night exclusivec four way feud between the First Family, The Blue Bloods, The Armstrong Brothers and Hacksaw and Erik Watts (HOOOOO! HIS DAD GAVE ME MY BIG BREAK!)

Big Papa Paegan

L. A. Z.
Reaction score
Yeah, but we're talking Q1 2000, not Russo's Summer Adventure. The Summer of Suck at least had the Jersey Triad, which wasn't too bad if not misguided.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Q1 still had a handful of fun (or at least interesting) bad stuff like Tank Abbott putting a knife to Big Al’s throat, Los Fabulousos, Spring Breakout Nitro with the Falls Count Anywhere match between The Brothers in Paint and Team Package and “IT’S THE WALL, BROTHER!”

I should have reversed the order of that. Pulling knives isn’t really fun (Laz: You haven’t spent enough time in Worcester, Kam).

Counter is there was still occasionally decent to good stuff in the cruiserweight and tag team division in the Summer of Suck. If you throw on a random Nitro or Thunder from period, there is a fairly high chance that there will be a match that will make you say “Hey that was actually pretty good.”

I doubt you could say the same about Q1 ‘00 WCW. I’d be shocked if there were any hidden gems outside of maybe something super random on a hospice era Saturday Night?

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
See I remember and am amused by things like Tank Abbott pulling a knife or Team Package or shit like that. I remember those ten times more vividly than anything the Jersey Triad ever did, and I really like the Triad. I'm more inclined to rewatch entertaining garbage than try and revisit or reevaluate things I know are better than I remember.

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
This is a great question and if you asked me 20 years ago I would say Summer of Suck, but after rewatching over the years, especially knowing WCW is dead and gone, the Summer of 99 is much more rewatchable and more entertaining in my opinion.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Any time I hear Lee Marshall’s voice or see his stupid fat Tony Orlando face, I immediately think “I don’t want to watch this.”

Unless it is a ‘00s Frosted Flakes commercial.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
What's considered to be Nash's best singles work in WCW?

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
See the two that come to mind are The Giant at Souled Out '98 and Goldberg at Starrcade '98 and both of those are overshadowed by horrible (in entirely different ways) finishes.

the Goldberg rematch at Spring Stampede '99 is also decent. Oh. His matches with Rey in '99 were good too but again...upsetting finishes!

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I like how Jericho always donates to these things. I saw Cody Rhodes gave, too.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Bret was so dejected in WCW that he probably didn’t even attempt to smash 19 year old Stacy Keibler.

I feel bad for her college boyfriend. He went from “Oh sweet. I got a hot girlfriend and she watches pro wrestling with me!?” to “Wow! My girlfriend is a Nitro Girl and Ravens cheerleader!” to “SHE LEFT ME FOR DAVID FLAIR!?!?”

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
David Flair always seemed like a normal person not trying way too hard and, believe it or not, some gorgeous women are into that.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
He also got headbutted unconscious by William Regal at DDP’s ‘96 Christmas party for going on a drunken, xenophobic rant. Eric Bischoff was there and said he would never hire Van Hammer again.