Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Kamala's Random WCW Bullshit thread

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Feels like something is missing to make that totally true, much like Nash's claim that he and Hall got raises in 1996 when JR started talking about Razor and Diesel being brought back, supposedly causing WCW to panic and give them more money despite having a binding multi year deal in place.

Zetterberg is God

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Now I'm curious. What are five clean jobs Hogan could have made that would have helped the company the most? From 1994-2000. Sting for sure, and the Goldberg loss was great, but what are good examples of others? I feel like I associate him with never jobbing to where thinking up alternate scenarios for a lot of things is difficult.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
For ones he should’ve done or did do?

Lex Luger on the 100th Nitro was really great.

If Hogan put over people as often as he did in ‘02-‘03 WWE in ‘99-‘00 WCW, idk how much it would’ve done to prevent the company’s demise but I feel like it would have been best for the product.

Then again, it would undercut his WWE comeback if he was putting over the Billy Kidmans of the world.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Was the Luger loss clean? I can't remember the match itself so much as the finish.

I think if he were to put someone over clean, it would do a lot in the short term. Sting goes without saying, but I think he could've put DDP over clean in the Leno or Malone matches and it would've helped out of a lot.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
He did beat Hogan clean and fought off Outsiders and Macho Man in the process.

Speaking of which, WCW should have let Macho Man beat Hogan, at least once. He is like the Washington Generals in their rivalry.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Nash blaming the WWF for not pushing his messed up buddy and causing him to drink was pretty lame. Hall came in as damaged goods and pretty much proved he wasn't worth keeping around with his behavior.

Nash also comes across poorly with his comment on no wanting to go to the last Nitro because it would be like riding the Titanic.
Well, Fucker, you steered it toward the ice burg so fuck your life boat.

Valeyard

Reaction score
That whole series sounds like a colossal waste of time.

Big Papa Paegan

L. A. Z.
Reaction score
I'd argue it's the most well-produced doc on WCW to date, but the bulk of the story being told by the guys who everyone else have deemed completely full of shit by their peers wasn't a great move.

Valeyard

Reaction score
It didn't say anything new and just compiled unreliable narrators who somehow looked worse than they have in at least 20 years.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That whole series sounds like a colossal waste of time.
Getting the Turner brass was a good twist on the WWE docs. I liked every episode except the Russo one, which really felt like nothing new was said.

Finding out Stu Snyder possibly blocked a Bischoff led WCW buyout, only to then get a WWE exec job from the horse's mouth instead of 3rd hand was interesting.

Not one mention of how HHH invading CNN Towers with DX won the war though.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That moment didn't win the war, but DX getting as (maybe more) over as the NWO was a contributing factor.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Listening to the Bischoff post game on episode 4.
- He's still dying on the hill that Hogan being world champ in mid 2000 was the right play (Re Bash at the Beach) Why did Russo even book the damn match if he didn't want to deal with Hulk's creative control?
- Bischoff says the plan for Fusient WCW was to wait out most of the WCW contracts, which pretty much meant his new WCW would have been barren of main eventers. You'd have to hope DDP and Booker still take Turner buyouts and choose your deal instead of whatever McMahon would offer. So more than likely Vince would out bid everyone for the fun of watching the wreckage burn.
- A viewer suggests some fantasy booking that pops Eric: The final Nitro ends with Shane and Eric shaking hands in the ring.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Fusient WCW would've had, ideally, RVD and Corino and Eddie Guerrero and a bunch of people who could in theory carry them on top of Booker and DDP and whoever else. Is it a giant dip in name value? Totally. I love the ECW guys but they aren't the nWo. But they could carry it sufficiently to a new era.

Shane and Bischoff shaking hands was my ideal ending. Shane needs a business partner, and Bischoff already had that bit the week before talking about buying the company out. Immediately makes anything else bigger, and Vince/Bisch should've happened at Invasion anyway. The only other choice is President Flair. It adds so much, even if they end up written out by Summerslam.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It is amazing we never got Vince Vs Bischoff is ‘02-‘03 WWE. After the initial shock of them embracing and doing a nuts to nuts bearhug, Bischoff being an underboss for Vince is just about the most boring thing they could have done with him.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Eric also mentioned doing a live WCW Sat Night w/ Dusty at the Charlotte Motor Speedway to promote a NASCAR event. The wrestling was at the event too, but it was pouring rain out and the show was live, so the guys just had to work in the puddles.

This feels like something that would be getting shared on Twitter/youtube as a crazy WCW moment. I'm confused why I don't recall hearing of this at all.

JHawk

Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
Reaction score
I actually do remember that. They went back and forth between the live stuff and taped footage from Center Stage. IIRC Austin's last televised WCW match was on the taped portion

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The show's Wikipedia actually mentions it:
The second aired from downtown Charlotte, North Carolina, on May 27, 1995.[14] It started raining halfway through the outdoor show, causing the ring mat to become slippery at times.
WCW @ Charlotte, NC – Intersection of Trade and Tryon streets – May 27, 1995
WCW Saturday Night – shown live; featured Eric Bischoff & Dusty Rhodes on commentary; included Tony Schiavone & Bobby Heenan on commentary for the pre-taped portion from Center Stage Theatre; featured a segment highlighting Slamboree 95 and the countdown show held immediately prior to the pay-per-view; included a Great American Bash Control Center where it was announced Randy Savage would face Ric Flair in the main event and Brian Pillman would wrestle Alex Wright; during the segment, Okerlund said a number of teams were vying for a tag team title shot at the show and also discussed the growing issue between Dave Sullivan and the Diamond Doll; featured a Randy Savage vignette in which he promoted the new Slim Jim NASCAR as well as the upcoming 4-man tournament to be held later in the show; included the Arn Anderson vs. Tim Horner and Ric Flair vs. Alex Wright matches taped 5/10/95 and the Randy Savage vs. Steve Austin match taped 5/11/95 at Center Stage:
WCW Tag Team Champions the Nasty Boys defeated George South & Mike McKeefer at 2:20 when Jerry Saggs pinned McKeefer following the running powerslam / elbowsmash combo; after the bout, Bischoff interviewed the champions at ringside, with the Nasty Boys saying they wanted a match against the Blue Bloods at the Great American Bash
Slim Jim Challenge Semi-Finals: Paul Orndorff pinned Jim Duggan at 3:31 with a roll up and grabbing the tights for leverage after Duggan missed a charge into the corner
Meng (w/ Col. Rob Parker) pinned Mark Starr at the 53-second mark following a side kick to the face; after the bout, Bischoff interviewed Meng & Parker at ringside about Meng�s match against Road Warrior Hawk at Slamboree as well as his upcoming match against Sting in the WCW US Championship Tournament
Slim Jim Challenge Semi-Finals: Brian Pillman pinned Big Bubba at 2:02 with a roll over after kicking Bubba in the face with Bubba then tripping backwards over the referee
Diamond Dallas Page (w/ the Diamond Doll) pinned Kip Abee at 1:46 with the Diamond Cutter; prior to the bout, Bischoff said he recently learned the Doll�s name was Kimberly; after the match, Bischoff interviewed DDP at ringside about his winning $13 million, with DDP not letting Kimberly answer Bischoff�s questions
Slim Jim Challenge Finals: Paul Orndorff pinned Brian Pillman at 5:56 by pulling Pillman down by the tights as he punched Orndorff in the corner and then grabbing the tights for leverage during the cover; due to pre-match stipulations, Orndorff earned a WCW TV Title shot at Bash at the Beach

Tino Standard

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Because I am a complete nerd, I looked up the baseball game that Eric was hyping up during this match. The Smoltz-Drabek pitching matchup was as good as advertised! Astros beat the Braves on a James Mouton walk-off HR off Mike Stanton in the bottom of the 10th.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
- Bischoff says the plan for Fusient WCW was to wait out most of the WCW contracts, which pretty much meant his new WCW would have been barren of main eventers. You'd have to hope DDP and Booker still take Turner buyouts and choose your deal instead of whatever McMahon would offer. So more than likely Vince would out bid everyone for the fun of watching the wreckage burn.
If Fusient wouldn't (or couldn't) pick up the contracts then I don't see what value WCW would have had for them. And TBS wouldn't have wanted to air a WCW program without any star power. Maybe there was no chicanery and it's just that Vince was the only one who had any use for the WCW IP without its stars. And this idea of Fusient WCW waiting out the contracts was never talked about at the time. It was always reported that The Big Bang PPV in May would feature the return of all the main event stars who had been removed from TV in the final months of the promotion, and that it was going to be a full buyout of the company and not the cherrypicked deal that Vince got. So I'm not sure if Eric is remembering that correctly.

Actually a Bischoff-booked WCW with no star power and a bunch of ECW castoffs as main eventers sounds more interesting than the hypothetical Hogan-led roster we expected. What would he even do if he couldn't rely on Brand Names?