Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Kamala's Random WCW Bullshit thread

Epic for the Summer

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I saw Wall at some local indie shows right before his death in the early 2000s. This was during his Impact run as Malice. I was pretty shocked to hear of his death at the time as I had just seen him wrestle Crowbar on front of 100 people.

Big Papa Paegan

L. A. Z.
Reaction score
As sloppy as it was, I have a major soft spot for the Malice/Sabu ladder match on one of the early TNA shows. I think it was either Week 5 or Week 6? Sabu doing his Sabu schtick and Malice just being a brute made it work.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
John Arezzi’s show this week is covering WCW’s debut in Manhattan in April of ‘93. I always thought that show was in late ‘93. Knowing it was right after WrestleMania IX when so many hardcore fans in the NYC area were alienated and desperate for something other than WWF makes how disastrous that show was even worse!

I feel like even TNA’s attempts to break into the NYC market were better than WCW’s and they weren’t very good at all for the most part.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
How far removed was that from the Quebec Province Rules match on Raw?

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It was five months before. Province of Quebec match was in September of ‘93 on one of the last RAWs from the Manhattan Center before they permanently moved the show to a touring schedule.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It only drew 2,900. The Paramount Theater/Felt Forum/Theater at MSG fits 5,600.

2,900 is actually sadly really really good attendance by ‘93 WCW house show standards. However, you got to imagine WCW had to be disappointed that they drew just slightly over a half full house for their big Manhattan debut. Or considering they were drawing a fraction of that in other major cities, maybe it wasn’t that big of a deal.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6

The mostly awful Clash 2 weeks before Starrcade would be the first major "WCW" show I guess since the Crocketts were out the door in Novemberish.

Apparently Dusty was pissed at being fired as booker and pouted in his car all day, partially why the card is full of LONG matches that do not have the merit to be given so much time.
Dusty finally did the match (after Animal stood in the ring for quite a while) and did this cheap DQ loss in under 3 mins,
--
Knowing this it is pretty surprising that he showed up for Starrcade and a few Jan shots before he quit/fired as a worker.
---

If Flair makes the rumored jump at Summerslam 88 and thus Turner pulls out of the buyout deal, does JCP just turn into the AWA and does no budget TV tapings as talent leaves after contract after contract goes unpaid?

Valeyard

Reaction score
I don't think Turner would ever really back out given how much he genuinely loved wrestling and the level of loyalty he felt. Lowball certainly but not bail. Turner's takeover without Flair or Dusty is a fun thought, though.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don't think Turner would ever really back out given how much he genuinely loved wrestling and the level of loyalty he felt. Lowball certainly but not bail. Turner's takeover without Flair or Dusty is a fun thought, though.
Jim Cornette, JR and Kevin Sullivan leading the booking committee sounds like we should have gotten some mash up of Memphis/Mid South and ECW.... but the budget....

Valeyard

Reaction score
If Eddie Gilbert doesn't wander through long enough to get blackballed by network executives, it's a shame. He'd no joke be the perfect booker for the time.

But in general I'm fascinated by the idea. Luger and Sting on top, Pillman and Cactus getting pushed earlier, stuff like that. Maybe all the AWA guys come in and we get NWA champ Larry.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Honestly? Dig up the 2001 roster and just do it. Do the Nash/Booker/DDP/Goldberg vs Magnificent Seven (well, Six...Five...fuck it put Andrade in there and go Six) wargames we need for closure. Sid can assist.

Can't be hard to find Skipper, Romeo, 3 Count, or the Jung Dragons.

Jason Jett and Kid Kash need another go around. Jason Jett, not EZ Money.

Shane Douglas and Shawn Stasiak probably have beef so give them a match. I dunno. Show would be better than every ECW rehash since 2006.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Honestly? Dig up the 2001 roster and just do it. Do the Nash/Booker/DDP/Goldberg vs Magnificent Seven (well, Six...Five...fuck it put Andrade in there and go Six) wargames we need for closure. Sid can assist.

Can't be hard to find Skipper, Romeo, 3 Count, or the Jung Dragons.

Jason Jett and Kid Kash need another go around. Jason Jett, not EZ Money.

Shane Douglas and Shawn Stasiak probably have beef so give them a match. I dunno. Show would be better than every ECW rehash since 2006.
Flair vs Jarrett in a rematch from last year and 2000?

Curtis Axel (w/Big Barry Windham) vs Chavo Jr (wearing a Rey mask to avenge Mysterio's tributes) in a West Texas Redneck vs Master P feud.

The Steiners reunite with Pastor Ted Dibiase to cut a heel promo. Instead of "Steiner Math" it's "Steiner Identity Politics".

Mongo is wheeled out in his bed. Sid appears to reclaim his stretcher gimmick but is run off by Lex Luger in his wheel chair wielding a baseball bat.

A memorial to all the dead workers is aired. This eats up the 3 hour run time of the PPV and the matches all wind up being off the air.

Valeyard

Reaction score
None of that death needs to be acknowledged on a non-WWE show for narrative purposes.

Chavo should seriously start doing shows as Rey Guerrero or some shit out of spite.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Weirdly, match I'd be most curious to see is Ric Flair pin balling for Scott "Flash" Norton and I doubt that happened since March '98 seems like it was right at the start of Flair's standoff with Bischoff.

(checks Cagematch)
I guess that the Flair standoff didn't happen until April '98. That is an unusually strong looking lineup for a WCW house show of this era. I bet Brian Adams-British Bulldog gave off the strongest "Pin me, pay me" energy though.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I've been sick and just rewatching Nitro. I gotta say the first year and change is some of the best, breeziest wrestling you can hope for, up there with (ironically) the first year and change of Raw.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I've been sick and just rewatching Nitro. I gotta say the first year and change is some of the best, breeziest wrestling you can hope for, up there with (ironically) the first year and change of Raw.
If only they had stuck the landing for the angle built from Nitro 1 and given us Sting/Luger vs Hogan/Macho at Starrcade.

Flair can win the belt back 24 hours later on Nitro.

They can even get really wild and book the Mega Powers vs Sting/Luger for Starcade, with a 4 way world title match later on in the same show to really ramp up the tag match drama.
--
New Japan can still have a strong presence if need be.
Eddy, Dean, Alex Wright in singles vs NJ Juniors Koji, Shinjo, Liger
US Champ Kensuke Sasaki vs either the One Man Gang (to do the title flip) or maybe vs the Giant (who can declare he wants the US title so he can be number 1 contender)
or Sasaki/Hawk/Norton vs Giant/Shark/Gang in a hoss fight. That sort of lowers the Giant too much, as he was still a real MONSTER. Is Bubba in the Dungeon at this point yet? I don't think so?
Flair, Arn, Pillman, Beniot all need something to do yet... maybe they work Sullivan/Meng/Giant/and whoever (Morrus, Zodiac, Gang etc)
That opens Sasaki/Hawk/Norton to face Kurasawa/Slater/Buck or Super Assassins' to blow off Hawk's broken arm angle
WCW Tag champs Harlem Heat vs Chono/Tenzan
Taped Fist champ Duggan vs Masa Saito
TV champ Badd vs DDP

Lots of mix and match possibilities.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I almost think they could've had Mega Powers/Sing-Luger at Superbrawl. Maybe Uncensored (although I would book anything to not have Doomsday Cage). I don't wanna fuck with Starrcade much because it's one of the best WCW shows and I can't think of a way to accomplish as much with Hogan hanging around.

Cut out the middleman in the main event and Flair beat Sting and Savage with Luger interfereing and Giant distactions and shit. Furthers everything in one fell swoop and the match will be better despite the triangle stip.

Hogan would need a Giant rematch. Maybe get Hogan to do some double duty for a quicky with Chono or Saito (whoever doesn't get Hogan gets in a kaiju murderfight with Meng). No matter what bullshit will happen and everything continues.

Luger beating Sasaki makes sense in hindsight, just because it isn't like it makes less sense than Gang.

Badd defends against either Pillman or Wright, and assuming he doesn't drop the title there winds up dropping it to Regal or Arn when Mero bails to ensure some status quo.

Hawk/Kurasawa should happen because it ticks all kinds of boxes.

Norton/Duggan because fuck yeah. Ditto Heat/American Males.