Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Kamala's Random WCW Bullshit thread

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Sherri and Flair did not click at all. I love them but dude Flair and Sherri should just do not belong together.

Sherri and Austin, though, would've ruled.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6

As much as Hogan coming back and making WCW tons of money with the nWo is historically significant, I always have to wonder how things would have gone had he decided to stay away (NJPW?) and let things play out at a time where WCW felt like a fun company week in and out.
The Giant had all sorts of entertaining matches smashing the beefy midcarders, the Luchas and Cruisers were pouring in, Savage and Flair had a good thing going on top and fresh blood in Hall and Nash were coming.

--
Good gravy, imagine if Warrior flaking out in the WWF lead to HOGAN being Ahmed and Shawn's replacement partner instead of SID.
Hogan competing with HBK's politics, and probably making Bret decide to sign with WCW that Fall. Where does that leave Austin?

alfdogg

Alfdogg
Reaction score
I watched Starrcade 92 yesterday for the first time, and the biggest impression it left on me was that it's not hard to see why Jesse didn't enjoy announcing with Jim Ross. It was very much like the Heenan/Schiavone partnership later; there were numerous occasions where Jesse would make a reference or crack a joke and JR would totally no-sell him.

Also, the Japanese wrestlers were treated a lot more respectfully than they were in the WWF, where more often than not they were just turned into stereotypes. I do hate that Muta's theme music was changed from his 1989 run though.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score

The Giant had all sorts of entertaining matches smashing the beefy midcarders, the Luchas and Cruisers were pouring in, Savage and Flair had a good thing going on top and fresh blood in Hall and Nash were coming.
Tbf to Hogan, he was the guy who brought The Giant into WCW and I doubt WCW is nearly as enticing to Savage and the Outsiders if they don’t already have Hogan.

I bet Bischoff and Turner were going to make a huge play eventually but if not Hogan then who? It’s interesting to imagine what their next move is if Hogan tells Bischoff “That doesn’t work for me, brother. Thanks for the offer but no thanks, dude.” in early ‘94.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Tbf to Hogan, he was the guy who brought The Giant into WCW and I doubt WCW is nearly as enticing to Savage and the Outsiders if they don’t already have Hogan.

I bet Bischoff and Turner were going to make a huge play eventually but if not Hogan then who? It’s interesting to imagine what their next move is if Hogan tells Bischoff “That doesn’t work for me, brother. Thanks for the offer but no thanks, dude.” in early ‘94.
My thesis was regarding Hogan not coming back from his post Uncensored hiatus.

Hall and Nash were coming over for the money, Nash has said that constantly on his pod. Macho might be a little more of a toss up, but his WWF role was no longer suiting him and Vince was starting to lose money so paying to keep Savage wasn't in the books if he wasn't working on top.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I've talked about it before but I was such a stupid kid with misplaced faith in both WWF and WCW making the nWo a proper invasion that I was almost positive Hogan was going to be announced as Shawn and Ahmed's partner. I mean I don't think Hogan was on Nitro that week, he just turned on WCW as part of a fake WWF invasion, and the WWF just had a top spot open up. Heel on one show, face on the other. Kinda wish it went down still.

But if Hogan left WCW, they still sucked at creating new talent so it'd be the same problems but without the biggest name in history. I could watch Savage and Flair all day but people would've gotten sick of it. But more weeks of Flair trolling Savage with the lavish dinners during Nitro would get all my money, anyway.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score

As much as Hogan coming back and making WCW tons of money with the nWo is historically significant, I always have to wonder how things would have gone had he decided to stay away (NJPW?) and let things play out at a time where WCW felt like a fun company week in and out.

--
Good gravy, imagine if Warrior flaking out in the WWF lead to HOGAN being Ahmed and Shawn's replacement partner instead of SID.
Hogan competing with HBK's politics, and probably making Bret decide to sign with WCW that Fall. Where does that leave Austin?

Great minds think alike!

Epic for the Summer

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Without Hogan, Nitro likely doesn't come to fruition. I'm more interested on how Hogan's legacy would be had he stuck with the Red & Yellow all throughout the 90s. The nWo basically saved his career.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah but hypothetical we are talking about is Hogan leaving in ‘96. I doubt Hogan leaving would cause them to cancel the show. Idk how it worked out ratings wise but creatively, Hogan hurt more than he helped those ‘95-early ‘96 Nitros.

I feel like the only reason Nash and Hall agreed to him being the third man was cause it’s better to have Hogan pissing outside of your tent than into it.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Outsiders jumped because of the money and contract structure. It would still pave the way for the jumps and changing tide, just wouldn't have hit the same peak. Might get different names for that matter without Hogan around.

Valeyard

Reaction score
It feels like Nash was a lot cooler with people than history said. He probably could talk some people you don't think about into jumping over the years, not just a Clique migration.

I don't see any way Hogan isn't back by 2000 though at latest.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah like I said, I don't think Hogan returning to WWF would've really worked before the '00s. Separation was so bitter that they needed some time to let the wound heal.

And if you thought Hogan's early nWo days were awkward, imagine Attitude Era Hogan. It just doesn't work. Who are his opponents in '96-'99 WWF? He'd just stomp all over Austin and The Rock and try to bury them. If Vince thought the backstage politics & posturing of '05 Hogan Vs HBK was bad, it would've been exponentially worse a decade earlier.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Hogan gets ruined like LOD. Vince wouldn't take shit at that point.

Hardcore Hogan with Snow, Holly, and Bossman might have been fun. A kennel from hell playing off the SNME cage match.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah but hypothetical we are talking about is Hogan leaving in ‘96. I doubt Hogan leaving would cause them to cancel the show. Idk how it worked out ratings wise but creatively, Hogan hurt more than he helped those ‘95-early ‘96 Nitros.

I feel like the only reason Nash and Hall agreed to him being the third man was cause it’s better to have Hogan pissing outside of your tent than into it.
Nash said on the pod recently he was all in with Hogan joining as that assured them a push and $$$ as Hogan isn't getting buried.

In 1996, I had fantasy booked Hogan vs Hall and Nash by Starrcade, so I clearly didn't see the LONG LONG term nWo storyline.

---
96 Hulk probably gets to stay face up until Mania, then he'd have to turn heel or leave.
Hogan throws the power balance off in the backstage. Bret goes to WCW instead. Austin would have to get over in a proxy feud while Pillman recovers. Maybe they boost him up with Shawn quickly so Shawn can have 7 1/2 matches as champ as Hogan works his 7 min special.
Hogan just feels weird in my head working HHH, Owen, Goldust. The beefy heels are tied to Ahmed, and Hogan doesn't really fit that dynamic unless Simmons does the "You held the black man down in the 80s!", which gives rookie Rocky an opening to rub shoulders as Hogan's buddy as he stands up for Hogan and Rocky Johnson/Atlas. (Maybe get Brutus back to cut that funky hair off Miavia!)

Valeyard

Reaction score
Hogan with HHH, Owen, or Goldust feels way more natural than it should. Maybe it's my images of HHH selling Hogan's offense like shotgun blasts with that hair flying all over, Owen's reaction to a hulk up, and Hogan mocking Goldust's taunt. I'm trying to think of a genuine way Hogan couldn't have Sid's run and I really can't do it. Push-wise, not over-wise, because I don't think straight face Hogan works as a top guy. Like a run between Warrior and Sid, maybe, where I could see him doing shit like the Lawler feud while transitioning to stuff with Shawn by the end of the year and losing to Taker at Wrestlemania. The idea of Hogan's shtick getting more serious during the Hart Foundation stuff sounds fun as fuck too. Austin gets over but probably won't get his due for another year, being in that spot RVD was in in 2002 where he was one of the biggest stars but had literally nothing to do but have good matches for the IC title.

A top of the card with Nash, Hall, Flair, Savage, Sting, Luger, and Giant floating around as they were in 1996 would be a hell of a show but again the pre-nWo months of 1996 are some of my favorite in WCW so I'm biased. Just gimme Savage being a badass without Hogan shackles and more Flair trolling. I don't think WCW hits number one but they become a GOAT number two.

Big Papa Paegan

L. A. Z.
Reaction score
That guy was so underrated and it's a shame he died so young. He could have been the go-to MONSTER HOSS outside WWE for years if he'd been able to get clean.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Opioid addiction sucks.

He seemed to lose a lot of steam through '00 even as the product nosedived. I thought his personal issues sprung up post WCW but Idk. Yeah, he was green as goose shit but so were NBTs. Did he just have the stink of getting his biggest push during the awful Sullivan era? Just seems odd that he went from a monster push and semi profile match with Hogan to dopey comedy hardcore guy in just a few months.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Damn. I assumed he was a rookie. He wasn’t even really an old rookie like DDP. He had been on the indies since the mid ‘90s so I guess WCW brass just thought he sucked.

Valeyard

Reaction score
He just never looked healthy even when he was. Awesome monster and all but he never looked well. Also it took me a while to get past the the name "The Wall" because that just sounds like something a dude covered in sheetrock calls himself on tiny indie shows.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I really wish the XWF worked out. Genuinely. Feels like so much could've gone right.