Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Kamala's Random WCW Bullshit thread

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Brad Armstrong was really born ten years too late. Everything about him except his ‘80s haircut screamed ‘70s. ‘70s are one of the least riz decades for pro wrestling. Which is weird cause it was a pretty riz decade for pop culture.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Buzzkill is slightly better than the Candyman. Gimme the sibling cosplay over man in underwear handing kids lollipops any and every day

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I’m glad No Limit Soldier BA hasn’t been mentioned for worst Brad Armstrong character. If anything I think they should have done more with it but Master P seems humorless enough that maybe he wouldn’t have down with a goofy middle aged white boy acting a fool around him.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Listening to the WCW Thunder podcast and they're up to September '99, right before Bischoff got fired.. According to WON, one of Bischoff's plans was to go back to being a heel authority figure with a black female bodybuilder (presumably Midnight?) and two little people as his bodyguards.

@BruiserBrody : Damn Russo ruined everything.

Poor Alex Wright got lost in the transition between Bischoff and Russo. Although having Buff Bagwell refuse to job to him in his return match then having Bagwell's replacement be Jim Duggan, a guy who really hasn't shown himself as someone willing to bend over backwards to put over new talent, also screwed the Berlyn character from the start.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I'm in favor of silly midgets and wacky bodyguards and shit but that only works if you're not someone who has an air of authority. Bischoff? Wrong guy. Mike Adamle? Gold.

Wright got lost before that, I think. He just became such a background character the bigger the nWo got, it feels like, and he was overshadowed by the rest of the cruiserweights despite being every bit as good if not as polished. I don't know what potential Berlyn even had, really, because that gimmick in that company at that time is never going to grow regardless. They should seriously have just gone for broke and let him work with Flair when Berlyn started, since Flair was a big fan of his anyway.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, that's another thing that they talked about in the podcast. At that point, in late summer of '99, they expected Flair would never work in WCW again. Of course, he returned again as soon as Bischoff was fired. Bischoff was fired on a Thursday and Flair was back on Nitro the next Monday.

Valeyard

Reaction score
He would've been better off leaving, which I guess is true about Flair every year after the nWo. Corporate Flair vs Austin is what we needed.

I wonder what Flair would've wanted to do, though. Like not what he says now, what he wanted to do then. Would he want to be on top or be lower on the card but prominent? Work matches or do angles? Put guys over? Bury guys? Spite the creative control guys by being a better person or being the exact same but without the same power?

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If Flair left in Fall of ‘99, he probably undercuts Jericho (and maybe the Radicalz). I can’t imagine Austin or Foley are thrilled with bringing him in at that point.

I like the idea of Heyman bringing in Flair to try and legitimize ECW as a national promotion but Flair hated Heyman more than Austin and Foley hated Flair. Plus who on the ‘99-‘00 ECW roster would Flair work with?

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It’s always been a historic curiosity about the dominos if he had appeared on WWE in 98 as he was feigning an attempt to do and was legitimately circling the arena in Greensboro during that PPV waiting for his lawyer to give him the all clear.

I assume Austin and Foley won’t play ball but a program with Flair and Rock doesn’t seem far fetched and maybe he does something with Hunter and Shamrock and eventually Taker but it would’ve been awkward seeing him there.

As for ECW? Flair and Dreamer with Funk being the intermediary for that is probably the move they’d do.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Foley would because he'd know he could do good promos on him and that Flair would be forced into a WWF style match, where Foley thrived doing what Flair said would have him in a wheelchair. His desire to put out good work and prove Flair wrong would beat out any animosity because that's how Foley works.

Austin could go either way. I think he'd see Flair's worth in the feud with Vince and we get a month or two before Flair goes down the card, at least. Flair would also have no issue putting anyone over at this point, especially if he wants to build enough goodwill to make money. If any spot is taken.

Rock and HHH would be in, though. The only spot he'd take is Taker's, and he's hurt so it doesn't matter.

I don't think he undercuts Jericho, however I do think he is the deathblow for Big Show for a while. He definitely doesn't undercut the Radicalz and if anything I think he helps the Radicalz because he would probably get paired with them.

Flair/Angle also happens and you know Flair wants to take credit for that, too.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don’t think Flair undercuts the Radicalz and Chris Jericho himself. I just think they’d be undercut by Vince McMahon being distracted by the big star that just rejoined the company.

Although Idk if Flair is any bigger star in ‘98-‘00 WWF than he was in ‘02-‘03 WWE. I don’t think Vince McMahon likes Ric Flair as much as most wrestling fans do. He might end up just being a wacky old man floating around in the mid card that occasionally gets bumped up to a semi main event match ala Big Bossman.

Now I am imagining Ric Flair selling a Stinkface.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Flair and Vince were always tight and if Ric Flair is jumping in 1999 he's being pushed. Probably doesn't win the title but is a key player. If he steals any spots it will be Regal and Jarrett. Regal probably has a very different second run of Flair is in the company.

Flair doing the Chyna feud instead of Jarrett is a goddamn goldmine though.

Valeyard

Reaction score
The pop for a built up nutshot would be insane.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I can't defend Lee Marshall in the face of Mark Madden. That's some "Welcome to the Boston Garden, I'm your host Lord Alfred Hayes along with the Duke Of Dorchester" energy.

The audio only shows always really fascinated me. It's a great idea and a potentially great way to train announcers while also being a super easy DVD bonus track for shows. They could do these now if they wanted to have Youtube-only versions or something for live shows for people who don't want to Fite the Cock.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I want to believe it could succeed with WWEized announcers, though. Cole and Foley calling Shea Stadium has always made me have hope the WWE guys, when allowed to cut loose, can be really engaging.

My first thought though was the sheer horror of a show from 2006 called by Mark Lloyd, Todd Grisham, and Bill DeMott though

Sex Machine Gun

Kotzenjunge
Reaction score
Come on, at least show TNA Mike Sanders. "HEY!" was so over for like, two whole weeks!

EDIT: And it was on PPV! That means people PAID for "HEY!"