Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Kamala's Random WCW Bullshit thread

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Wiki says the Power Plant had a business deal with the USWA which is a little surprising w/ Lawler working for Vince.
It makes since since the Gambler, Scotty Riggs and others were pulled from there, but Wiki says Ron Studd was also sent to USWA to work, which I didn't recall at all. Wrestlingdata has nothing on that either.

Studd's only 53, let's get him a Rumble spot.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
He was in the running for Flair's last match, though. They're cool and the idea of the best ever vs the worst ever crossed their minds. Really, if that happened, how much worse could it be compared to what really happened?

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It would’ve been better because they wouldn’t have felt the need to go 27 friggin minutes.

I feel like two or three minutes of Flair chopping and punching down that big old oak tree The Yet-Tay might have been a lot better and more dignifying than what we got.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
It would’ve been better because they wouldn’t have felt the need to go 27 friggin minutes.

I feel like two or three minutes of Flair chopping and punching down that big old oak tree The Yet-Tay might have been a lot better and more dignifying than what we got.
Seriously. Ever watch old man Sheik? Get in, do your shit, go home. It sucked but he wasn't going to waste forty minutes of your life doing it.

JN News

Pizzamaniac
Reaction score
Speaking of WCW and how it went under, is it true that Vince Russo has been blackballed from the entire wrestling business?

Epic for the Summer

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I think it's less blackballed and more people realize how awful his ideas are and are keeping as far away from him as possible. He still has hos fair share of followers though, unfortunately.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Yeah it's just no one but Dixie Carter ever wanted him. That said I'm surprised Corgan hasn't given him a chance

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Russo is old and doesn't need the stress of writing this crap. He can grift whatever he can via the podcasts and hopefully look at proper investments from his reign of terror money.
According to Brian Soloman's last podcast, Russo lives in the shadows of WWE headquarters yet near some mall there. IIRC.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Russo claims he did consulting work for USA Network on RAW from 2020 to 2022. Idk if I'd believe him if he told me the Pope was Catholic but take that FWIW.

World of TV and film writing can be so nebulous that I can believe he would make enough from odd ghostwriting or consulting gigs and grifting his fans.

Valeyard

Reaction score
If he wanted to work, he'd be working. None of the big companies would touch him but if, say, Janela was interested, he'd have a gig.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I saw this the other day and forgot to bring it up because Christmas/New Year’s. Before Tony Rumble died in 1999, WCW was set to make NWA New England their developmental territory.

Maybe there is an alternate universe where me and @Laz are reminiscing about Tony Atlas Vs Sean O’Haire and Vertaebreaker has AJ Styles’ career.

JN News

Pizzamaniac
Reaction score
I saw this the other day and forgot to bring it up because Christmas/New Year’s. Before Tony Rumble died in 1999, WCW was set to make NWA New England their developmental territory.

Maybe there is an alternate universe where me and @Laz are reminiscing about Tony Atlas Vs Sean O’Haire and Vertaebreaker has AJ Styles’ career.
Who is Tony Rumble?

Valeyard

Reaction score
Does New England work as a better territory than Wildside? I know nothing about either for the time, just that a lotta GOATs came through Wildside.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Orndorff could've made Bob Sapp into a Benoit-level worker. Maybe that's overshooting it and he could've been a Malenko, but still.

Big Papa Paegan

L. A. Z.
Reaction score
Does New England work as a better territory than Wildside? I know nothing about either for the time, just that a lotta GOATs came through Wildside.
Ehhhhh...nah. Wildside was something really special. The only other indie doing anything near as good between 1999 and ROH forming in 2002 were JAPW.

However, the New England indie scene has been constant since the late 80s, and Tony Rumble was just as big a deal to it as Sheldon Goldberg.

Valeyard

Reaction score
ECWA always was talked up as a big deal as far as indies, though. That one I remember always being in the Apters when I checked them out. The Super 8 was serious business, even though I never took it seriously because of the shitty hotel chain.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Wildside, though, I just associate with both bad production (Turner could've sent them some money for that, too) and the fact Wildside guys pretty much were the backbone of ROH and TNA and thus directly gave us the DNA to where we are now.

It's just funny that the two names I associate with Wildside have always been Styles and Rave, though. Like they made Rave feel on the level of the Styles/Joe/Punk/Daniels/Ki class even though, god bless him, he wasn't there.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
ECWA was/is based in Delaware/the Philly suburbs (Cagematch says Morganville, NJ though)

NWA Wildside was honestly the much better choice for WCW at the time, in terms of logistics and they did produce some great talent (albeit by the time they were stars, WCW was dead they were stars for TNA).

I can see appeal of NWA New England as it was a different audience than WCW’s base and they were a much bigger territory. They ran all over New England and you could teach developmental guys how to work different styles as a crowd in Hartford, CT is vastly different than a crowd in Jay, ME.

Big Papa Paegan

L. A. Z.
Reaction score
But theoretically couldn't they send people from one to the other since Wildside was an NWA affiliate?
Theoretically, sure, but Wildside and New England were different companies that both fell under the NWA banner. The deal was with Wildside, meaning that it would be dictated that any talent under a WCW deal sent there would, presumably, only be able to work there and not another NWA affiliate.

Valeyard

Reaction score
It just feels WCW enough to not clarify something like that and the NWA at the time not paying attention.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
More of the blame there is placed on NWA being a cluster. WCW just wanted a cheap place to send there Power Plant guys.

It is a miracle that the NWA managed to survive the ‘90s, ‘00s and most of the 2010s before Corgan bought it. Not that Corgan saved it but he sunk enough money to keep the zombie promotion on its feet.