Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

KISS Dorks

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Wrestling References in Unexpected Places thread crosspost.

Tbh, I'm surprised that there hasn't been more KISS crossover with wrestling besides the KISS Demon (and Memphis had a KISS-esque character during KISS' original heyday in the late '70s, didn't they @BruiserBrody ?) given how much of hams and shills they all are. I know Vince turned down KISS showing up as guest GMs on RAW during the Sonic Boom era cause he felt that they weren't culturally relevant enough.

I'm gonna be pissed on my deathbed thinking about how we missed out on Paul Stanley selling a Randy Orton punt.

Epic for the Summer

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I could have sworn Gene showed up in the crowd on Raw or Smackdown during the Family Jewels era but maybe I'm wrong.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Wrestling References in Unexpected Places thread crosspost.

Tbh, I'm surprised that there hasn't been more KISS crossover with wrestling besides the KISS Demon (and Memphis had a KISS-esque character during KISS' original heyday in the late '70s, didn't they @BruiserBrody ?) given how much of hams and shills they all are. I know Vince turned down KISS showing up as guest GMs on RAW during the Sonic Boom era cause he felt that they weren't culturally relevant enough.

I'm gonna be pissed on my deathbed thinking about how we missed out on Paul Stanley selling a Randy Orton punt.
Honky TM played "The Kisser"

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don't want to derail Adam Sandler getting his proper respect anymore and I apologize to Vale for dragging him into the KISS thread but---

Gene Simmons said that depressed people should just kill themselves. I can't even joke about his character.
I genuinely think that was Gene passively aggressively lashing out at Paul Stanley. It was a few months after Paul's book came out. Paul's book is mostly centered around overcoming his mental health & body image issues and repudiating the notion that Gene is the face of KISS (and how annoyed he is that Gene appointed himself spokesman of the band). Gene would rather piss off an entire group of people than address criticism from his work wife

And looking further into it, Gene's comments about how people who are depressed are stupid came up during a fluff interview about the A&E show about KISS' Arena Football team. And it was an answer to an innocuous question about whether or not he still stays in touch with his former bandmates (neither of whom really have any issues with depression but I guess to an aggressively neurotypical person like Gene, mental illness and substance abuse are the same thing). He really is quite the heel.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
First off, that song is awesome. Secondly, I didn’t even know “All Hell’s Breakin’ Loose” was considered proto rap rock until 5-10 years ago. I always assumed Paul was going for a talking blues vocal more than trying to rap.

He was pretty in tune to NYC nightlife in the late ‘70s/early ‘80s so I suppose it wouldn’t be impossible he was an early fan of hip hop.

Epic for the Summer

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I forgot which book I read it but it did mention that song was indeed inspired by early hip hop. From the same book: apparently KISS prefer Dinosaur Jr.'s cover of Going Blind over the Melvins'.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score