Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

KISS Dorks

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
I prefer we are one or whatever it’s called and YOU WANTED THE BEST because they all sang on that one. Also psycho circus but how have you only heard that song now? A real Kiss fan would have already made themselves familiar with that one

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don’t revisit it that much because it mostly sucks but I listened to Holly Knight on the Shout It Out Loudcast and they discussed that song and it rules.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
How the off did I not know until this week that Vinnie Vincent InVasion did the theme song to Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master? I must disassociate when @Laz talks about horror movies.

This song is goofy (shitty) as hell. Only Vinnie Vincent would compare being dumped to Jesus Christ being crucified. We love ya, Ankh Warrior.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
Love Kills is a great song and it’s on the second Vinnie album. I had no idea it was used in a movie either, let alone a mainstream one like Freddie but they loved hair metal jams.

There are more deep cuts on that album you should check out btw.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Probably the most appropriate place for this. I make a lot of artist-specific playlists on Spotify and did my KISS playlist the other day. I kept it capped at 80 minutes (maximum length for an old-school blank CD. I also made material from the solo album(s) eligible:

1. Strutter
2. Deuce [live]
3. 100,000 Years
4. Black Diamond
5. Parasite
6. Goin' Blind
7. Rock and Roll All Nite [live]
8. Detroit Rock City
9. Shout It Out Loud [live]
10. I Want You
11. Hard Luck Woman
12. I Stole Your Love [live]
13. Love Gun [live]
14. Rip It Out (Ace solo)
15. New York Groove (Ace solo)
16. I Was Made for Lovin' You
17. Sure Know Something
18. Creatures of the Night
19. I Love It Loud
20. War Machine

Epic for the Summer

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Pretty sure New York Groove was the only (semi) hit from those first solo albums. I was in my 20s when I read that it was actually a cover. I personally prefer Speedin' Back To My Baby and Snowblind.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I mean I decided when I saw them in 2016 that that was last time I saw KISS unless they brought back some of the old members for the farewell (not even just Ace or Peter. You guys know I'd friggin love some Bruce Kulick action).

Realistically, anyone knows Ace and Peter can't pull off a full set at an arena rock show let alone a major tour of full sets but it is pretty childish that they can't let bygones be bygones enough for all of them to get together to perform 2 or 3 songs at the last MSG show.

I don't think anyone expects 1996 again. I just don't think the KISS Army (and I can't speak for everyone. It's a diverse army!) wants the legacy to end with backing tracks and Ace threatening blackmail on the Eddie Trunk Show!

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah. I have heard Nirvana’s version of “Do You Love Me?” I think that is why Gene wanted Nirvana on KISS My Ass but unfortunately just because you liked KISS as a kid doesn’t mean you want to talk/work with 1993 Gene Simmons.

I guess Kurt Cobain didn’t hear Revenge.

Epic for the Summer

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Trent Reznor and Maynard James Keenan are both, by their own admissions, huge KISS fans. Damned if they were ever gonna give Gene and Paul the time of day if their heyday (though Maynard did work on one of their tribute records).

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Gene thought that the tribute album was going to be massive given all of the people who grew up KISS fans but there was a huge disparity between people who grew up loving KISS and people who wanted to work with KISS in 1993-94.

Weirdly the only mega star that was willing to show up was Garth Brooks (who even performed with and was interviewed alongside the current lineup on Jay Leno).

Epic for the Summer

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I get it. That was likely on the advice of record exces. KISS were yesterday's news in 1994 (and arguably had been for years prior) so these people probably thought these hot news bands working with a couple of old geezers would have hurt their image.

There definitely has been a reversal on this notion, I wanna say sometimes in the last 15-20 years where worshipping old bands was considered "cool". Admitting you love KISS in 2023 may not seem so bad but admitting that you like them in 1995 probably would have gotten you laughed at.