Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Late Night Talk Show Discussion

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Fallon has always been the least likable late night host imo. The Trump interview cemented that.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Fallon's too pathetic for me to truly hate anymore. Worst interviewer on television, most naturally unfunny host in the late night war era, and looks more and more like a roaring alchoholic every time I see him.

But it takes balls to not support the talent that taught you how to play a xylophone on a Rihanna song or some shit.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The last ever episode of Late Night with David Letterman aired 30 years ago today on NBC with guests Tom Hanks and Bruce Springsteen. Letterman would debut on CBS just 2 months later.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
Same Dave, Better Time, New Station.

They ran the fuck out of those ads that Summer.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Colbert is the greatest, going around taking down bullies. If you have never seen his segment in the Chevy Chase Roast I HIGHLY recommend it. Just a complete evisceration, you can practically see Chevy deflate.

Fallon being terrible to work for is not at all a surprise.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Kimmel is probably my favorite now. Never was a big fan until his Trump stuff. He also stopped the Stern-lite type stuff he used to do.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I heard he and Stern are on super weird terms these days, anyway.

Kimmel can be fine but the peaks and valleys feel huge. He's the middle.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Knowing Lorne he will probably ignore the Fallon stuff or respond in his typical passive aggressive way. Only way I see something going down is if NBC wants him gone

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That’s why I’m glad our man Carson Daly got out before they went after him.

Valeyard

Reaction score
They are both terrible people with no self-awareness. And Stern's wife and relationship is pretty weird.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Bill Maher will be back again this weekend and Seth Meyers returns next Monday.

Edit- I guess all the late night shows will be back next Sunday/Monday.

Last edited:

Epic for the Summer

Epic Reine
Reaction score
This is really due to him making up shit in his stand-up? Like most comics do?

EDIT: Apparently he was faking serious stories about racism for clout. Well ok then...

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah. It was the fact that they were presented as elaborate serious stories not “I was at Chili’s the other day and this lady is there and-“ type stand up bits.

Hasan is not particularly well liked in the stand up community. Marc Maron sniffed his ass (and his penchant for making stuff up) out a year or so back!

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Hasan Minhaj has lost the TDS gig reportedly.

Just give it to Roy Wood Jr dammit.
Felt like Roy's whole shtick was always race jokes. White midwestern dope (Brody) wasn't the target audience - even if I lean into the woke culture. I liked to bring up "C.P. Time" to my MAGA leaning buddies to rile them up.

I watched the Daily show every day up until I cut the cord a year ago but that was mostly for the headline news/Trump riffing. The bits always felt like a one note dragged out for 4 mins.

--
Maher really blew it by declaring he was coming back sans writers just before the strike was to be settled. Unforced error.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Drew Barrymore really hurt her image doing the same thing. I still like her for some reason though. Maybe because she was surprisingly good hosting TCM with Robert Osbourne around a decade ago, and was very knowledgeable about film.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Drew Barrymore fucked up badly.

I stopped watching Daily Show a bit before the COVID era maybe. Roy Wood Jr is very talented as a correspondent but I don't know how he'd do as the host. I thought Jessica Williams should have gotten the show over Trevor Noah back when they were doing the original replacement. Jordan Klepper also seemed like he carried himself well enough to host but I think they killed that by giving him a spinoff show in the "nothing can replace Colbert Report" slot.

Gary

If You're Into It, I'm Out of It
Reaction score
Drew Barrymore fucked up badly.

I stopped watching Daily Show a bit before the COVID era maybe. Roy Wood Jr is very talented as a correspondent but I don't know how he'd do as the host. I thought Jessica Williams should have gotten the show over Trevor Noah back when they were doing the original replacement. Jordan Klepper also seemed like he carried himself well enough to host but I think they killed that by giving him a spinoff show in the "nothing can replace Colbert Report" slot.
I quit watching during Jon Stewart's return from directing that movie nobody remembers. It was obvious he didn't want to be there anymore, and the writing started to get noticeably lazier. Felt no need to return during the Trevor Noah years since I never found him funny.

Last edited:

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Just let the South Park people do it then, would barely make a difference