Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Late Night Talk Show Discussion

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Inside job because she knows she will promote the stereotype of women not being funny.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
No one here (self included) probably was a huge fan but Chelsea Lately probably was the last late night talk show to break new stand up comedians. Colbert, Fallon, and Kimmel have shuffled stand up to the side so much that it's hard for anyone to break out.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Twitterverse is speculating that Desus & Mero had a falling out and might be breaking up.

First PnP now this? Bad year for Outer Borough based duos :(

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Full Frontal with Samantha Bee has ended so, uh, now all of the late night hosts are white dudes except for Trevor Noah, right?

That Chelsea Handler comeback might happen and we'll start the cycle all over again!

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I didn't realize Full Frontal was still on. I watched a little bit when it started, then lost interest after the 2016 election. Her shtick was wearing a little thin as well.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, it seemed like a relic of the early Trump era. People are definitely not reacting like it was taken away in its prime like when Desus & Mero broke up last week.

I'm moderately surprised TBS didn't cancel it when Conan ended last year. It stuck out like a sore thumb amongst the reruns, AEW, and baseball.

RIP era of TBS trying to produce talk shows too, I guess.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
ABC has renewed Jimmy Kimmel Live for three more years.

If you want to feel old, JKL will celebrate its 20th anniversary in 4 months.

Jimmy Kimmel being the oldest kid on the block of late night will never fail to seem weird. Tbh, Idk if I see Colbert or Fallon matching his run. I feel like the days of multi decade runs in late night might be winding down.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Colbert has had a Late Night show since 2005 though. Comedy Central might not be Network but Colbert Report was very successful and arguably far more influential than any of the network shows.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Kimmel's still been on almost three years longer than Colbert even if you include the Comedy Central show.

I could see Colbert bowing out in 2025, when he hits 20 years of being a late night host and 10 years of hosting The Late Show. It's weird that he's that close to the 10 year anniversary since it seems like he just started.

I don't see Jimmy Fallon's liver being able to handle 12 more years of The Tonight Show lol.

I just have a hard time seeing any of the current generation hosting into their late 60s like Letterman and Carson.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I hope not because they're already really stale and boring. I'm a huge Colbert fan in general but I stopped watching the show during the start of the pandemic. He just isn't the same on Network. He can't really let loose. He occasionally shows sparks and I've seen some clips since then that show some good moments. He'd be much better off taking time off like Stewart did and finding a new role for himself.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think everybody wants some new blood in late night. Or just something entirely different. Seriously, no one under the age of 50 besides me and a few other weirdos gives af about the Tonight Show format. I think late night's in desperate need of new ideas.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Apparently, Trevor Noah leaving The Daily Show is related to Comedy Central wanting to remove all non South Park related original programming.

At one of his first all-hands meetings at Comedy Central, McCarthy allegedly was asked what his favorite show was, and, according to one employee present, he said he liked watching CNN. “He couldn’t think of one TV show,” offers the still incredulous source.
Seems like exactly the opposite of someone who should be running a comedy network!

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score
Apparently, Trevor Noah leaving The Daily Show is related to Comedy Central wanting to remove all non South Park related original programming.

Seems like exactly the opposite of someone who should be running a comedy network!
I think Paramount deciding to make most of their comedy material (the "South Park" specials, the new "Beavis and Butthead" movie and even a new season of "Reno 911") to streaming was already proof they stopped caring about Comedy Central. Even MTV gets more attention nowadays.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It's basically turned into MTV with SLIGHTLY more scripted original content.

I can't even remember the last time someone had a Comedy Central special. Probably Roy Wood Jr but even most Daily Show correspondents (or the host himself as that article mentioned) take their specials to Netflix or somewhere else.

Also I really hope Roy Wood Jr is the next TDS host. I think he has perfect sensibility for that job.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Best way forward is to go back.

Comedy specials from the beginning of the medium to last week
Mean-spirited Kilborn-era Daily Show*
South Park
Getting the rights to MST3K, SNL, and the British Whose Line.
Lure Attel back for another run of Insomniac
Pulp fuckin Comics
Any stupid game show because they rule

*they genuinely should throw money at Marc Maron or Conan for taped podcast content for late night.

Valeyard

Reaction score
They're the only channel that used them properly. Can't remember a time I've laughed harder unexpectedly than the first time I saw Eddie Murphy talkin' about killing his landlord at like ten in the morning when I was home sick from school.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
SNL reruns from Comedy Central to E! coincided with the most horrible period of adolescence. What made it even worse is it made current SNL episodes somehow decide to cater to the E! audience, which led to Jessica Simpson & Nick Lachey, Olsen Twins, and Paris Hilton hosting and those dumb paparazzi sketches. Ugh.

Only good thing about SNL on E! is that there was a weird 6 month to a year period where they only had the rights to the first five seasons so that was where I first got to see some of the original cast. By the time I really started getting into SNL reruns in the early '00s, Comedy Central mostly aired '90s stuff with the occasional Eddie Murphy marathon.

I remember E! airing a lot of Season 5, which is still one of low key weirder SNL seasons. "Harry Shearer? Paul Shaffer in sketches? PETER Aykroyd!?"

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
It's basically turned into MTV with SLIGHTLY more scripted original content.

I can't even remember the last time someone had a Comedy Central special. Probably Roy Wood Jr but even most Daily Show correspondents (or the host himself as that article mentioned) take their specials to Netflix or somewhere else.

Also I really hope Roy Wood Jr is the next TDS host. I think he has perfect sensibility for that job.
You should see the reaction when I tell my hillbilly brethren about them having a skit called "CP Time"

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
I may have made this post before, but since Web 3.0 doesn't allow you to search forums, I can't verify, so here goes: Does anyone else remember the late-Saturday/early-Sunday morning SNL rerun? Was this even a thing in markets outside of mine? In the early 2000s, at 2AM, an hour after that week's current SNL had concluded, my NBC affiliate (this was during a time when I was getting both WNBC and Wilkes-Barre's WBRE so I don't remember which one, but I think it was the latter) would air an old complete episode of SNL, usually from the late 80s or early 90s. It was the only chance to view the 90-minute version of the episodes I had seen butchered by Comedy Central. My favorite was when the Skid Row episode, which I had never seen on CC, came up in the rotation. It was right after the live episode where Bon Jovi was musical guest (2001) so it was a pretty big night for young SJK.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yep. I think they lasted until the mid-late '00s cause I definitely remember taping them when I was in high school. It's the only place I remember seeing Ebersol era episodes.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yep, Snl Classics I think it was called. I didn't get it in my market which pissed me off

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
According to the SNL Wiki, looks like it aired between 1998 and 2006 so my memory isn't off for once.

I thought the NBC News bulletin about Princess Di's car accident interrupted an SNL Classics broadcast but considering it happened in late summer (and that SNL Classic didn't start airing until a year after she died), it was probably just a normal SNL rerun!

There we go.