Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Late Night Talk Show Discussion

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
They actually click well based on old stuff I've come across and it's sad that they're still clinging to Stern when they're interesting guys in their own right. I don't think I'd feel comfortable giving Artie Lange money in general, though.

Would see Jackie live because he is bar none the worst standup there ever was and because of the infamous shitty merch.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I actually listened to a recent episode of Artie's podcast with Gilbert Gottfried and Stern surprisingly didn't come up (or just barely came up). I can't imagine it'll be the same for Jackie The Joke Man cause unlike Gilbert, there's not a lot that they can talk about besides Stern. I guess they could stretch the history of dirty jokes into an hour episode.

Artie actually sounded pretty damn good and has supposedly been sober since before the pandemic. It's funny to search his name to see what thread we were talking about him and find "ARTIE LANGE IS STILL ALIVE!?" posts dating back for past 10-15 years.

Valeyard

Reaction score
79FFbiNt_400x400.jpg

You gotta sober when you have no nose.

Valeyard

Reaction score
One of the Stern reddit guys ran into him a few years ago and sold him pills during a period of sobriety. Saddest, most fucked up thing.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Being an Artie fan is the comedy equivalent of being a fan of a historically moribund sports team. You know you're going to be disappointed with the end result but you hope against hope that they pull off the big win.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I don't know if I'm an Artie fan so much as he's just one of those people who has been in my life in some capacity since I was a kid. Like I don't think he's that good a standup or a writer or actor, but I was at 100% the right age in the right time for me to like the majority of his Stern work. Guy made me the Eric The Midget mark I am today.

Hey remember when he was in full junkie mode and ruined Joe Buck's only chance at a talk show? It's so gross now but it had confused Paul Rudd and Jason Sudeikis plus angry Joe Buck, and for that there's at least a nugget of value.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Dave better offend a whole mess of people or otherwise it's just going to be a waste. Thankfully I think his mere presence will make twitter clutch pearls.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
I get why it won't happen, but it would've been really cool if he could've gotten Dave and Conan.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I could have swore Conan's done The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon and Seth Meyers before but his last NBC late night appearance was appearing on Late Night when Fallon hosted back in 2011. At this point, it's been 12 years since the Tonight Show controversy and Conan doesn't even have a late night show anymore. If there is any bad blood at this point, there shouldn't be.

Low key (but not really) douche move that I didn't notice until somebody pointed it out a while back. Jimmy Fallon had The Tonight Show changed back from The Tonight Show With which Leno and Conan adopted cause no one could ever be the star of the show after Carson retired back to The Tonight Show Starring. Although I'm guessing that was probably more of a Lorne call than a Fallon call.

Last edited:

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Kimmel and Fallon switched places and hosted each other's shows tonight as an April Fools prank.

The Thread Killer

Get off my damn lawn
Reaction score

Hektik

Integral Poster
Reaction score
When did Bill Maher become Dennis Miller? I haven't watched his show in years but he's certainly changed from his early to mid 2000s persona.

Staff member
Reaction score
When did Bill Maher become Dennis Miller? I haven't watched his show in years but he's certainly changed from his early to mid 2000s persona.

Like the last two years or so when his money didn't matter and he had to be treated the same as everyone else. He's a whiny fuckin bitch and he's way out of touch.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Maher became completely insufferable when the pandemic started. I think that's when people started to realize how dumb he is

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've found him insufferable since at least the mid 2010's but he has clearly gotten worse the last several years. I'd personally date it to when he got in shit for dropping the N bomb.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
See. I've thought Bill Maher was an annoying self-righteous blowhard since his mid-late '00s Michael Moore knockoff Religulous but no one really noticed cause he was attacking groups that the left doesn't like.

Garyfly

If You're Into It, I'm Out of It
Reaction score
Remember last year when he said only fat people needed to get vaccinated or something? He's an anti science goon as well.
He's always been anti-vaccinations. He went up against Bill Frist on them once and...he came off like a clueless idiot.

See. I've thought Bill Maher was an annoying self-righteous blowhard since his mid-late '00s Michael Moore knockoff Religulous but no one really noticed cause he was attacking groups that the left doesn't like.
I always found him dumb. Also, he's the least funny person imaginable. Even during the Bush years, I remember thinking "yeah, the administration is evil, but is it so hard for you to find a way to be funny?"

Last edited:

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
He combines the worst aspects of liberal condescension with proud conservative ignorance. I think he really did walk so the Ben Shapiros of the world could run.

I think Jim Downey put it best in one of the SNL books about Maher just seems more interested in applause than actual laughter.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
The moment when I knew Bill was officially full of shit was when he interviewed Charlie Sheen's "alternative" doctor, a discredited quack who claims he can cure HIV with goat's milk, and didn't mention that under his treatment Charlie's undetectable viral load became detectable. I've always had a soft spot for contrarions and blowhards (Jim Cornette, Stephen A. Smith, Bob Barron) but I always thought Bill believed the dumb shit he was saying. You can be an asshole and an idiot and I'm fine with it, but not a fraud.