Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Late Night Talk Show Discussion

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Forgot that Tom Snyder lasted all the way till 1999 on the Late Late Show. I have no recollection of watching him post 96 or so. And he was only 59 when he started on that show despite looking like he was in his mid 70s. He died relatively young at 71.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
I watched Kilborn a bunch in the summer of '99. I never preferred him to Conan but sometimes I made the wrong choice in that battle. I do recall that he spent weeks promising a surprise walk-on appearance by Joey Slotnick but I stopped staying up to watch the show once school started so I have no idea if it ever happened.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Janeane Garofalo was the best guest on Kilborn. Those two had amazing chemistry together. No joke

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Conan's last week of shows.

Surprise guest tomorrow (rumored to be Letterman)

Jack Black will be his last guest on Thursday's farewell

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
I was a huge Conan fan back in the 90s but I doubt I'll watch. The show has just seemed creatively bankrupt for so long that I don't even really have interest from a nostalgia perspective. I actually think Conan started losing the spark before he ever even went to LA for The Tonight Show.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Regardless of how anyone feels about current state of his show, today truly does feel like the end of the era and the final death rattle of late night's golden age. I highly highly doubt we're going to get this level of tributes when the Jimmys or Colbert take their final bows.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I didn't watch, but I am slightly bummed regardless of how the show has been the last decade. Conan was such a staple of my teenage years and I watched pretty much every night from 1999 to 2010. Sitting through god knows how many Tonight Shows to get through it.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It's crushing blow to the stand up comedy community since Conan was the last show to book comics with any sort of regularity. Other shows have a few stand up sets a month but it feels like "Eh we couldn't find a musical guest for this slot so here's one of these chucklefuckers."

A couple buddies made their late night debut in late 2019/early 2020 and a spot on Conan still means a little something.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
When Conan transitioned to the half hour format with the long form interview did he still have comics do sets?

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yep. Looking at the episode guide, before the pandemic, he would still have comedians perform 3-4 times a month in 2019-first three months of 2020. Less than he did when it was still an hour but he still made time for them even after eliminating half of his show.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yep. Looking at the episode guide, before the pandemic, he would still have comedians perform 3-4 times a month in 2019-first three months of 2020. Less than he did when it was still an hour but he still made time for them even after eliminating half of his show.
Looking at Fallon's guest list, he had about 1 to 3 stand ups a month before the pandemic but he also had approximately one magician a month perform in the performance spot at the end of the show so take good with the bad.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Look, stand up comedians need someone to pick on and I don't want to slutshame sex workers and I don't think anyone wants to hear me tee off on duelling piano acts so I got to target magicians.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Dana Carvey can be hit or miss these days but I thought he was pretty great last night (other than a cringey bad redneck character he did).

Surprise Sandler hasn't been on this last week to be honest.

And watching it last week I had completely forgotten Drew Barrymore was on Conan's first show in 93. She was 18. I had only remembered the Goodman interview from that show

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Colbert is (sort of) returning to Comedy Central by producing a new weekly talk show hosted by Charlamagne Tha God.

Erm. Colbert could probably platform someone better than a shock jock. And also has shock jock hosts a TV show EVER worked? Even the GOAT shock jock failed multiple times.

Eep. I remembered the transphobia but forgot the antisemitism.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Only thing Gutfeld! being the #1 late night talk show tells me is that strongest demographic watching television late at night in 2021 is 50+ year old dudes (and their adult kids who live with them). Big big surprise.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Kamala Columbo has just one more thing to ask CWMeltzer...why is the 18-49 demographic so important if they're the demographic that's cutting the cord en masse? Is it one of those "you want what you can't have" type deaLS?

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I genuinely have no idea who that guy is.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I've known since Redeye was just a weird over night show on FOX News in the early-middle part of last decade. I only knew of the show cause a lot of regular, non political comics showed up randomly as panelists and he guest starred on Louie. Then he added Brodus Clay as his sidekick after he got cut from WWE and the show has been in my periphery ever since.

Wow. Some Greg Gutfeld is the least problematic person mentioned in this post.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I mean, this guy having any measure of success in the conservative set has to make Dennis Miller seethe, so that's something.