Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Major League Baseball 2024

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
And after a dreadful start and looking like one of the worst teams in the game the .Cardinals are back around .500. Unfortunately Cardinal Magic still exists.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Lol the Mets are so bad Jorge Lopez just threw his glove into the stands after being shelled by the Dodgers.

They are losing 100 games this season

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Pete Alonso broke his hand today after a HBP. It's the 3rd time in 4 years he's broken his hand.

Post game Mets did not allow the press in for a good while. Jorge Lopez called them the worst team in the game and said he's not sure if he will pitch anymore. This is good shit, pal. This team is bad why not bring in the early 90s melodrama. Keep it coming.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
Mets will DFA Lopez today. I assumed he was a scrub and found that 1. he's had a ten year career, 2. he generally hasn't been very good and 3. he was somehow an All Star. Seriously, this is why you don't make a reliever an All Star because he had a good first half.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
He split the season between the Orioles and Twins that year, who were middling but not horrible so you can’t even use the “Well they had to pick someone to represent the franchise!” excuse for him making an ASG.

(Actually checking Baseball Reference, Jorge Lopez WAS the 2022 Orioles’ sole representative at the ASG. Go figure!)

alkeiper

Reaction score
Lopez had a 1.62 ERA in the first half, 4.05 in the second half. Their best player was Adley Rutschman but he was only 46 games into his career. TBH I really don't see a first half stand out on that roster.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Just caught this . The Rays have a -53 run differential and are only 2 games under .500. How the hell is that even possible? Have to think they are about to be regressed to the means big time

alkeiper

Reaction score
The 2021 Mariners had a -54 run differential at 30-31, though they had a +90 fun differential. They missed the playoffs. It's not like the Rays couldn't maintain by improving some aspects of their team, but it's difficult to see them surging from this position.

alkeiper

Reaction score
The White Sox had a decent three weeks at one point, enjoying an 11-8 stretch. Those halcyon days are gone as they've now lost 14 consecutive games. They're last in runs scored, first in runs allowed. Luis Robert Jr. is back. Erick Fedde and Garrett Crochet are competent. Michael Kopech strikes out batters (and gives up home runs). But otherwise what a slog this team must be for their home fans.

15-48 is the worst start for a team since...last year. But before that it's the worst since the '82 Twins and before that you have to go back to the '32 Red Sox I probably talked about last season.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Pedro Grifol has the worst winning percentage of any manager who has coached more than 200 games since 1941.

If I were a betting man, I’d say they lose more than Oakland (112) last year. Idk if they can top the ‘03 Tigers but maybe. Oakland at least had/has a handful of guys trying to prove themselves as MLB players. ChiSox are a collections of head cases, has beens and never weres.

If any sports owner deserves to lose 120 games, it’s Jerry Reinsdorf.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah after I made that post, the Red Sox need extra innings to split the series with the ChiSox. It feels less bad considering the Red Sox are basically a Quadruple A Team (hello again Bobby Dalbec!) rn with all of the injuries.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Three months into the season and the Yankees still have not been swept in a series. The Dodgers were on the verge of doing so tonight but the Yankees came back to win

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Judge currently has a 216 OPS+ and is on pace to have a better season than 2022 when he slugged 62 HR (his OPS+ was 210 that year).

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Astros DFA'd Jose Abreu
Damn. He was awful last year too... simply an issue of age finally catching up with him? Houston's ballpark is pretty league average but that's a steep fall off.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Cubs have played like a bottom 5 team in baseball since May 1st. I have barely watched any games for the last two weeks. Everything besides Starting Pitching is godawful. Offense is just brutally bad. Everyone regressed at the same time. If you told me Mike Tauchman would be a top 3 offensive player before the season started, I'd tell you it's a nightmare season. There are so many albatross contracts on the Cubs right now. Dansby, Suzuki, Happ, Hoerner are not worth what they are being paid. They overpaid Jameson Tailon as well. And shit like giving Hendricks 16.5 million or Yan Gomes 6 million to come back doesn't make any sense.

Jed Hoyer needs to be fired after this season if the Cubs miss the playoffs completely. He has proven nothing in 4 years or so. All he did this season was swap in Shota Imanaga for Marcus Strowman and trade for Michael Busch.