Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Major League Baseball 2024

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I really thought the Cubs were going to follow up the Counsell hire with some bigger free agent splashes. I don't get Hoyer's thinking there at all.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Contrary to what fans say, they did spend a lot of money and are 8th in payroll I think. They just spend it really poorly. Giving big contracts to Suzuki, Swanson, Hoerner, and Happ were huge mistakes. Especially Happ/Suzuki since a few top prospects play their positions and are being blocked. Jameson Tailon has been good this year, but he got a pretty steep contract as well. They brought Hendricks back for 16.5 million for some reason. Yan Gomes got a 6 million contract. These players are mediocre to bad.

Jed Hoyer mentions wanting to be like the Tampa Bay Rays all the time where they can put together great cheap rosters. But, some of those contracts like giving Dansby Swanson almost the identical contract Jason Heyward had, contradicts that. I think Jed's time is ticking here anyway, and if he doesn't get fired this year, they'll just move on next year. Either way, the Cubs should at least be in the mix for top free agents.

I'll never forget when Bryce Harper was actively posting Chicago stuff on social media and wanted to be here, yet they barely gave him an offer and declined. 6 years later, Harper still rules and The Cubs are an embarrassment. Verlander was another that wanted to be here, and Kate Upton was looking up places to move in Chicago, but the Cubs picked Jose Quintana to trade for instead. I wanted both of those guys so bad.

Last edited:

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Harper and Verlander would've been great signings/trades. Quintana was effective for a year or two versus Milwaukee but not a whole lot else, and certainly not as impactful as Verlander continued to be. They'd probably have remained in the WS window from 2016 to the present.

And, true, they're spending a lot of money but not well. Not resigning Bryant turned out to be a good decision. But they're over paying just as much right now for guys that just haven't been effective or worth it. Hendricks is beloved there and had a great run but they've made those tough cuts before, not sure why this scenario was different to the tune of 16mil.

As a Brewers fan, I've gotten used to a team that will never spend the money to truly compete for a World Series. Being in the mix for a round of playoffs is better than the 1990s doldrums. But I empathize for Cubs fans who waited so long for a Series and then had to go right back to mediocrity and worse due to ineptitude despite often large payrolls.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
I think the real problem with the Cubs is outside of Hoerner and Happ there's very little on the team that's come up from the farm system. You can make all the right free agent moves but without homegrown depth you're just the Los Angeles Angels.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
They seem to have prospects but, for whatever reason, they don't want to bring them up and give them a steady chance.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, like this kid Moises Ballestros is like 20/21, but he's killing it. Bring him up. I've been hearing about how awesome Cade Horton is for three years, yet they don't bring him up. Owen Caissie is another one as is Matt Shaw.

That said, their number one prospect is Pete Crow Armstrong and he looks like he'll never be an average hitter. The defense is amazing though.

Last edited:

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
Last place teams and their most likely all stars.

Blue Jays: Vladimir Guerrero Jr. Elected and deservingly so. Leads AL first basement in bWAR, OBP and OPS.

White Sox: Garrett Crochet. Leads American League in strikeouts.

Athletics: Mason Miller. Brent Rooker has a higher WAR but there's more space for pitchers and Miller has a buzz about him.

Marlins: Tanner Scott. Left handed reliever, again easy to find space for these types. Jazz Chisholm is a dark horse because NL outfield is shallow this year.

Cubs: Shota Imanaga and Ian Happ. Imanaga has the early hype. Happ has a weak field to break through.

Rockies: Elias Diaz. He's a good catcher and even All Star teams need backup catchers. Ezequiel Tovar might get crowded out, I feel like you want Elly De La Cruz in the All Star game if you can. And Cal Quantrill is good but a Rockies pitcher? Perhaps Ryan McMahon to fill a manager's love of a utility infielder.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Was just watching a WWF show from Philly from 1988 and Eskin was name dropped on commentary

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Last place teams and their most likely all stars.

Cubs: Shota Imanaga and Ian Happ. Imanaga has the early hype. Happ has a weak field to break through.
I think Justin Steele might be in the mix as well. He's been fantastic lately, but hasn't got any wins because of the shitty bullpen. He pitched a complete game today, and I think another great start could help him get in.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I remember in 2020/2021, the conversation on Chicago Sports Radio was who was better between Javy Baez and Tim Anderson.

Now 3/4 years later and both are bums. Time hits fast.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Today, Ben Rice became the first Yankees rookie to hit three home runs in one game. Take that, Kevin Maas!

vince-vince-mcmahon.gif

Boomer sports writers when they find out Ben Rice went to an Ivy League college.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
After so many bad things happened in Anderson's life and the racism he faced on the baseball diamond, I wish the prime of his playing career would've lasted much longer.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Baez's hard hit % has fallen since joining Detroit and since he rarely walked as it was, he's no longer able to get away with just swinging at everything and seeing it pay off. Vlad Sr is considered a "free swinger" by many but had a better eye than most give him credit for and would draw walks/work the counts effectively. He also had a much higher pull rate for the majority of his career.

Tim Anderson's Hard Hit % fell off a cliff this year. His BABIP was also a career low .301 so I think he could bounce back better than Baez may.

Baez is hitting far better on the road the last 3 years. If I were a contending team, I'd risk pulling the trigger and seeing if he can acclimate to more of a hitter's park.

This was from 2023 before Detroit moved CF in at 412 Feet and lowered the CF & RF wall to 7 feet. "Since Statcast began tracking batted-ball distances in 2015, Comerica Park has had more outs of 410 or more feet (55) than any other Major League park; Coors Field (48) is the only other park with more than 18. Comerica Park also has 13 of the 38 outs of 420-plus feet hit in that time span. That includes Riley Greene’s long out to center against the Astros last Sept. 14 -- initially measured at 424 feet, later adjusted to 422."

I don't think it's a coincidence that both players moved from stadiums that were a bit more conducive to their playing styles to parks in Detroit & Miami that were much tougher. Comerica Park is 24th for RH Home Runs while Wrigley Field is 18th and LoanDepot Park is 25th for RH Home Runs while Guaranteed Rate Field is 16th using a 3 year rolling average. That impacts guys like Baez and Anderson and could be a difference of 3-8 HR a season.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Pete Alonso makes the All Star Team? Da hell?

I see not viewing it as a half season reward and more of a career thing but making it over Lindor or Nimmo as the Met representative?

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Pete Alonso is not old and has appeared in three All Star Games previous to this. Idk why they would feel the need to give him career reward. It might come down to his jersey being the best seller for the Mets as stupid as that sounds?

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
MLB announced Alonso for the Home Run Derby.
I think this is the key reason for Alonso's inclusion tbh. He's a draw for the HR Derby and seems to enjoy competing in it.

Other HR Derby competitors thus far = Gunnar Henderson, Alonso, Alec Bohm, Bobby Witt Jr, Marcell Ozuna, Jose Ramirez