Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

MMA General Discussion 2020

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Francis also got a text while on the way to to the arena from somebody in Legal at Zuffa saying that if he continued to discuss boxing that he'd get sued.

I half expect the UFC to make Tuivasa/Lewis for another interim belt next month just to try and screw him over even more.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
Yo, shout out to Roxanne Modafferi, I didn't realize that this was her retirement fight. If there was a Hall of Fame for tomato cans, she'd be first ballot.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
This card was pretty predictable. I'm glad RDA showed his worth but I hope Moicano is not dead, that fight should have been stopped way sooner. MMA culture and stoppages are pretty fucked up, but I get why that's the way it is. This is a sport with roots in the 'fight to the death' mantra, gonna be hard to shake.

Reaction score
This card was pretty predictable. I'm glad RDA showed his worth but I hope Moicano is not dead, that fight should have been stopped way sooner. MMA culture and stoppages are pretty fucked up, but I get why that's the way it is. This is a sport with roots in the 'fight to the death' mantra, gonna be hard to shake.

it felt like everyone wanted to stop it but yeah, the culture and shit, and they wanted the doc to stop it and the doc is like “meh he could see.” The docs gotta be more assertive and stop fights like these

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score
Can someone who understands MMA better than I do explain how they handicapped this Mazo/Maverick fight? Both fighters have lost their two most recent fights, Mazo has more fights against UFC-level competition, has only been stopped once, and is 6-2 when her fights go the distance. Maverick is 5-4 when the fight goes past the first round, and only 4-4 when her fights go the distance. Yet, as of this second, ESPN has Maverick at -370, against Mazo's +290.

That seems like a lot. What am I not understanding about this matchup?

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
Well you saw why, but Mazo was 3-3 against UFC competition and Maverick’s decision loss to Barber was one of the worst robberies of the year.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
speaking of not understanding odds, I don't understand how Fletcher was a near 2-1 dog. I could end up wrong but so far he looks pretty dominant.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
well this guy is moving like he's in slow motion because his cardio looks pretty terrible, so I guess I can see why. Looking at those live odds is pretty funny though.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
he's clearly leagues above this guy but the lack of cardio is making this a much more competitive fight than the commentary has let on.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Can someone who understands MMA better than I do explain how they handicapped this Mazo/Maverick fight? Both fighters have lost their two most recent fights, Mazo has more fights against UFC-level competition, has only been stopped once, and is 6-2 when her fights go the distance. Maverick is 5-4 when the fight goes past the first round, and only 4-4 when her fights go the distance. Yet, as of this second, ESPN has Maverick at -370, against Mazo's +290.

That seems like a lot. What am I not understanding about this matchup?
Maverick was beaten like a drum in her previous fight. But the loss before was a total judging robbery. She’s a great upcoming fighter.

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Can’t imagine the UFC was thrilled by the performance by Ankalaev. I think I’d match him against Hill next.

I would have put him against a higher ranked fighter before this fight, but I think is a good fight to make because Hill will make him finish him and not just have a lopsided decision.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score
Maverick was beaten like a drum in her previous fight...
I remember that fight. I remember saying that her opponent made her look like she had never been in a cage before. That's why I didn't understand why she was so heavily favored yesterday.

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Just an unreal card tonight as far as great finishes and action. Incredible stuff!

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
About as good a view of the Glory riot as you'll get. The crazy shit starts around 7:30 (although it isn't that bad):

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Have any of you guys gone to a UFC event? Do you think it's something "you have to do one time" if you are a big fan?

I'm about one hour from Columbus and there are still tons of tickets being resold. I think the last time they were in Columbus was for Rampage v. Keith Jardine, so it's not like there will be lots of opportunities to go see a show close. I was pretty interested in it when Blachowicz-Rakic was the main event. I certainly have a lot less interesting spending money to see Curtis Blaydes fight for 25 minutes...

The one good thing is everyone bought tickets, so I think prices will drop pretty well in the next three days.

Zetterberg is God

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I’ve been to a few and I’d say it’s worth the experience once especially if you can get in for cheapish. My own experience though is that MMA live crowds can be super annoying but your mileage may vary on that.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Went to 123, and 218. The first was mostly forgettable. The second was a legendary show with the two FOTY candidates, and the knockout of the year.

Gotta go at least once.

As ZiG said; the crowd can suck. At 218 I was near someone that had to shout “grab her by the pussy” multiple times during every woman’s fight. There’s always fights in the crowd also. Just can’t be avoided for some reason.