Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

MMA General Discussion 2020

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
I feel like that's harsh. But then I find myself asking, "Well, how many two-time champions with zero successful title defenses have there been?"

Conor never defended, don’t think he ever intended to. Just allowed himself to be stripped so he could claim he never lost a title fight… also what he did in Cage Warriors.

Obviously he’s better at this than she is though.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
Hardcore mma fans, how common is it for a fighter to be awarded fewer than 8 points in a round, without a penalty being involved? Has that even happened in the UFC?

Perhaps I should add for clarification, in a match that did not result in a stoppage?

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
Forrest Petz vs Sam Morgan is the only one I can think of off the top of my head. There have definitely been rounds that should have been scored that way but weren’t because judges are too conservative. Case in point, one judge had the Morgan fight 30-23 while another had it 30-27. I don’t remember the number but there were a shifload of knockdowns in that one.

Zetterberg is God

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Only other I can think of was Kalib Starnes-Nate Quarry where Starnes refused to engage and that was scored 30-24 on one card but 30-27 and 30-26 on the others.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score
Presuming that, for whatever reason, a fighter refused to follow up on a knockdown, and the other fighter kept getting back up, how many times do you reckon a referee would allow a fighter to get knocked down in the modern UFC without stopping the fight?

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
depends on how slow they were to get up, and how they looked once they did but three seems to be the magic number. Forrest/anderson comes to mind.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score
Well, that was the opposite of the result I wanted, but it's probably the result that the PFL had to have. I don't know where they could have gone from their only draw beating her only competition for a third straight time.

Apropos of nothing, why does it suddenly seem like Twitter is full of people who've had Kayla Harrison hot takes sitting in Drafts for three years, just waiting to click on "Send"?

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Ehh. It was obnoxious with her being sold as god’s gift to WMMA while just smashing nobodies.

No shame to her for staying with PFL, and getting their money. But I’m totally fine with this train going off the tracks.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Is it her fault that no credible association, federation or league has a viable Lightweight division?

Not putting fault on her. Hate the way she’s been promoted. I get that you want to promote your fighter like they’re the best, but I just didn’t care for the way it was handled.

The UFC can’t even do a 145 division that makes any kind of sense. Kayla just seems to be on an island to herself here.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score
Not putting fault on her. Hate the way she’s been promoted. I get that you want to promote your fighter like they’re the best, but I just didn’t care for the way it was handled.

The UFC can’t even do a 145 division that makes any kind of sense. Kayla just seems to be on an island to herself here.
I mean, she competed in Judo at 78kg; she probably walks around at 180. I sure as hell wouldn't drop forty-five pounds, just to prove that I wasn't overrated. Shit, I wouldn't drop twenty-five pounds: I would have made them invent a Welterweight division for me to fight in.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Wow, the PFL Finals was a $50 PPV? Man, that buyrate is gonna be painful...