Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

No Hot Dogs, No Handshakes, No Point? 2022 Independent Wrestling Thread

cobainwasmurdered

Waiting for Kamala to honour bets since June 2020
Staff member
Reaction score
Lowki is having a complete fucking meltdown on the show and took like 6-10 minutes to start this match because a fan told him he'd been blackballed. they had to remove the fan for his safety before lowki let him come back

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
I'm catching up on Planet Death from late last night, and I'm on the third match and this is already the best show of Day 1 (I haven't watch the WrestleCon Supershow yet). 3 deathmatches, and all have been very different. If that's your thing, this is fucking great. Cole Radrick vs Akira is outstanding.

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
Highly recommend the wrestlecon show although it falls off a cliff once the ring intros for the PCO/Onita match end (the intros are worth it for the sheer wtf).

the multiman was insane. Bailey/Bandido was great. Ishii/Thatcher and Athena/Mia were both solid. Biff/MiSu got a little sidetracked because Biff's cut from Bloodsport broke up but they went with it and worked a mat match with MiSu just torturing him and I enjoyed it.

Taya/Morrison was super super fun. They laid out a lot of amusing stuff and got cut up pretty good as well.

The Onita/PCO match I don't know what happened but Onita seemed to piss everyone off and it just totally fall apart when he and PCO got together. Neither of them looked good. At the end Onita and Dango badly botched a spot and Dango and everyone looked really angry at Onita. Onita didnt seem to want to leave ringside (trying to get all the attention as always) which was pissing people off because they were trying to do a special moment for Dango as he's retiring.

The Lowki incident was both awful and hilarious. I can't see how he will ever get work anywhere.

They did several cool moments during the show. Had Bret and Liger come out to say hi to the fans and they had Summer Rae come out and reunite with Dango as a special farewell.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
WTH!? This is the first I've heard of Dango retiring and he lives 30 minutes away from me and we have mutual friends. He just debuted at the last Beyond show I saw! Good for him though for getting out while he's still healthy. Afaik he's saved his money and has a nice home in the burbs and IG model fiance.

Staff member
Reaction score
WTH!? This is the first I've heard of Dango retiring and he lives 30 minutes away from me and we have mutual friends. He just debuted at the last Beyond show I saw! Good for him though for getting out while he's still healthy. Afaik he's saved his money and has a nice home in the burbs and IG model fiance.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Now that it's announced, in retrospect, Dango's appearances in my (and his) local indie have a "one last run"/ending where I started feel to them. He's exclusively worked with younger dudes and/or in tag team matches. In last match he had here, he teamed with Scotty 2 Hotty (the other famous wrestler from Maine) for the first (and last?) time.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Wrestlecon show was fantastic. Everyone who wasn't Onita tried hard. Bandito/Bailey was awesome, the six-man was awesome (when you overcome a botched tower of doom without missing a beat, you're legit), and I got to watch Low Ki freak out like a bitch. All the stars.

I thought POC looked better than he had any right to. He kind of saves up for a sprint of moves at a time, like a final boss. Onita has no business being out there and no one has any business booking him anymore. The final exchange with Dango was horrible and pathetic, making the shit with Dango even more frustrating. Jimmy Yang deserves a spot somewhere, though. Looked good and took one for the team at the end.

Also in fairness I could never dump on a show that had Veda Scott, Summer Rae, or Taya on it so bias is real in a couple aspects.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I have no idea why The Collective's running a standard indie show in the same time slot as WrestleMania. If you're going to insist on running directly against WM (which is dumb in the first place. Only reason you're in that town is CAUSE Mania is there), it seems like it'd be basic common sense to throw up something niche like lucha or death matches.

JHawk

Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
Reaction score
Had they not cut the New Day match from Mania, I'd have thought they'd run long on purpose to fuck with the Black Label Pro midnight show.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
At this point so much talent congregates for the weekend that it’s worthwhile to travel to the area for wrestling without even bothering with the big show. Talent is there, you have lesser travel expenses to pay, your break even point is lower than normal. It doesn’t take much of a Mania spillover crowd to make it worthwhile.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Biff Busick Vs Mike Bailey announced for the 5/1 PWG show. Maybe @909 could ask Biff if he's QPilled or just a regular idiot!

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Lance Archer is the kind of talent that makes me instantly disregard a product. Hope you have fun.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
PPW is an odd promotion in a way that it carries itself like an old school indy promotion. They love to feature MLW wrestlers, they'll use talent from other promotions and they do a weekly television show. They're local though, it's rare to find a good indy show less than a two hour drive. I appreciate when there's good female talent on the shows because that draws my daughter. I'm honestly happier to see Rebecca Scott/Nikii Duke and the other womens match than Scarlett Bordeaux.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Allie Recks is a name I hadn't heard in a while. She was top star of ill fated promotion one of my comedian friend's owned and operated. It wasn't even notable to have a Cagematch profile. And naming your promotion Pro Wrestling Takeover is just an invitation for people to find NXT TakeOver stuff when they look you up.

Nevertheless, Allie Recks was definitely the standout from the 1-2 shows I saw (besides the time my friend let me guest ring announce and hit a heel manager with a cake for my birthday).

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6

Dory Funk Jr outlived his top protégé.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
WWE, AEW and Impact are the top three. ROH may have a case for 3 if their next few shows are successful and TV is announced. Same with NJ Strong.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
GCW's only argument is live attendance (give that GCW runs more live shows than Impact, ROH, and New Japan) and I think it's a matter of when the world fully reopens and NJPW and ROH will beat them in that aspect. I highly doubt Impact will ever resume touring again given how poorly in went for the most part in late '00s/early '10s but who knows.

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
AAA-TripleMania-XXX-Monterrey-e1651223468624.jpeg

tomorrow for @Valeyard

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
Thinking of the Canek match, how many people are still wrestling that were in the ring with Andre the Giant? I was trying to think about his final tour in AJPW, but I'm pretty sure everyone he faced during that is either retired or dead.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm surprised you forgot Jerry Lawler!

There's got to be some wrestlers from '80s WWF that are still (technically) somewhat active. @BruiserBrody ? Did Andre ever wrestle Tommy Rich or Manny Fernandez? I know they've done shows in the past year or two.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
Lol, it's easy to forget just how active Lawler still is.