Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Oh. Canada. part 2

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Libs shoot themselves in the foot constantly and are terrible. The Conservatives are a fucking cancer and there is no way I'd ever vote for them. The NDP is the best of the bunch although they can be frustrating like any political party. The Greens are...lol. As long as the leftwing parties are willing to coalition together it will be pretty hard for the Tories to take back power since so much of their support is in the prairies.

Zetterberg is God

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Alberta lived up to its reputation tonight. Re-elected a leader who compared vaccinated people to Nazis. Claimed if you get cancer it’s your fault. Called our justice minister to see if she could help a hateful “pastor” who was part of the convoy. Wants to bring in two tier healthcare. I could go on.

This province also resoundingly elected a candidate who compared trans children to literal feces.

Fucking embarrassing.

Zetterberg is God

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I can't think of any other province that will blindly vote for people who openly hate trans people and support the Russian invasion. Ok, maybe Saskatchewan.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
I can't think of any other province that will blindly vote for people who openly hate trans people and support the Russian invasion. Ok, maybe Saskatchewan.
I mean, Doug Ford refused to update sex ed past the 1998 curriculum. That’s much worse in terms of impact than something someone says.

Zetterberg is God

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Was pretty bad out here for a bit (10+ air quality). Thankfully back to relatively normal but badly need some rain.

Staff member
Reaction score
Kinda glad the East Coast gets to see what this is like tbh you people complain about our heat not being that bad and act like we're whining, imagine it being like this outside when it's 105 degrees.

Reaction score

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score

People that spend too much time online don’t understand just how much the liberals are hated right now, and how much regular life is a struggle for so many people. They make jokes about how the anti-Trudeau sentiment is just those weirdos with the “fuck Trudeau” stickers all over their car, but lots of regular people are sick of this guy. Honestly, I don’t blame them, he is so disingenuous and so detached from the reality of everyday Canadians and he never addresses it.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think the CPC will win a minority government. No one is fixing the problems with housing and inflation though so It feels like we'll just end up in a cycle of elections for the next 5 years or so until the next Justin or Harper comes along. Polliviere doesn't have the IT factor IMO. He can take power because things are so bad and people are so tired of Justin.

All of that said, unless the NDP decide to pull the rug out from under the Libs, there isn't likely to be another election for another 2 years yet so there's still time for the CPC to gain more momentum or for all of us to get lucky and Justin to be forced out of power and replaced (haha).

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

"
"However, jurisprudence has generally interpreted the Constitution that matters of local things are seen as being provincial jurisdiction. So the legal interpretation of the Constitution in a very strict review would allocate responsibility for housing to the provinces."
"

blah blah Justin might be technically right but he sounds like an out of touch asshole, aka exactly what he is. Pierre is a scumfuck but he is scoring major points on housing which is all anyone is really paying attention to right now. If the Libs really wanted to do something about housing they'd find a way but instead Justin just gets up there and equivocates.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
Yeah I don’t care about the technicalities. A fed gov is ultimately responsible to fix the problems of the country. If something important in life that affects so many is going to shit, I feel that the feds should step in and help. If they try to go that it’s technically not their responsibility, they seem pretty scummy. If they ran on the promise that they would fix it, which they did, that’s just plain evil.

But

I feel bad for the family but at the same time, all I can think is that I’ve NEVER heard of a North American leader getting separated while in office in recent memory. So I feel like it must be really rough for them to do this.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score

Trudeau had a “big” meeting on housing and said a bunch of empty words with no actions he was actually going to take, that probably led to this huge drop in support.

NDP are somehow bleeding support at a time like this too, and the cons are leading with Gen Z and millennials. This election is going to be a bloodbath.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The conservatives do look like they are unstoppable right now. The only bright side of the NDP also being down in the polls is that they have no incentive to pull their support from the government and trigger an early election which means the Libs can ride this out for another 2 years in the desperate hopes things improve.

I think all the leaders of the Left-wing parties need to go, not just Justin but I don't know what alternatives we really have. I think Jagmeet is a good man but the NDP is failing under his leadership and I don't see that changing. The Green Party honestly doesn't need to exist anymore. The NDP and even the Libs have taken many of their best policies from them and they're organizationally a disaster. Elizabeth May coming back just proves how broken they are.

Justin is of course toxic and I want him out. The problem I see is that every major member of the federal Liberals I know of is heavily associated with him and would probably be unelectable. They need someone new and I don't know if they have anyone, certainly not anyone that would win a Leadership race.

It's a shit show

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

The BC Liberals (who for Americans are not the same as the Federal Libs) changing their name will go down as the dumbest move of all time in BC politics. NDP have done as good a job as possible dealing with all the shit they have and the Conservative party in BC is completely focused on culture war bullshit. Of course my stupid city will be one of the few to still vote conservative.