Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Puroresu Love & Resources V4

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Someone sat down with Riddle and explained what he can and can’t take while in Japan, right?

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Even with Ospreay Vs Moxley on top, it seems overly ambitious for NJPW to run a 10,000 seat arena in the US. Especially just a week or two after WrestleMania.

Staff member
Reaction score

A technical wrestling dream match taking place in Japan for the first time ever will pit Bryan Danielson against Zack Sabre Jr. After ZSJ seemed to take Danielson’s mantle as the best technical wrestler in the world, a long overdue singles reunion between the two took place last September at AEW’s Wrestle Dream card. Yet although the American Dragon was successful that night, he picked up victory with a knockout blow in the form of the Busaiku Knee. Sabre has maintained that Danielson is unable to tap him out, and has insisted he will be the one to do so in Osaka. Just who can finally lay sole claim to the world’s best technician?

New Beginning, Feb 11th

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
SPOILERS for the NJPW show this morning.

Okada/Tana/Ishii won (amazing match, Fujita looked like a fucking world-beater in losing) and after Okada (who was crying like a baby) announced they were going to surrender the titles.

I don't know about this being the right decision for business but the crowd was absolutely 100% behind Okada and they might have risked a backlash if he got pinned TBH. They seem to have decided to give Okada the classiest possible exit from the company with the idea he will be back one day. Whether that's the right call, time will tell.

They also put Shota over in the main event. For a match with a HoT guy this was as good as it gets tbh. They kept the interference to the very end and had some unique bumps. They gave Tama Tonga a nice moment on his final Hall show. Shota declared he was going to take the NEVER title from EVIL and that he was going to replace Okada as the top guy.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Do we have any joshi people able to condense the Rossy Ogawa thing down?

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My basic understanding is that Stardom/NJPW believed Rossy (who says he had given notice some time ago and was finishing up) was attempting to poach talent from Stardom to go with him to a new company he would be starting. Rossy was the founder of Stardom originally and he wasn't happy with the new ownership interfering with how he ran the company after he was forced to sell. Ogawa is not well liked by several top joshi workers like Asuka and Kairi Sane from what I know, for what that is worth.

Meltzer thinks that it is unlikely that Ogawa will work with WWE on a new company since his issue with NJPW was being interfered with and WWE will obviously want a lot of say in any company they're involved in. @Slayer might know more because I don't follow joshi at all.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
NJPW last nnight/morning was great.

War Games match was a perfect sendoff to Ospreay and I think it made Francesco Akira in particular look like a huge babyface star. Alex Coughlin looked like a monster. They did every insane thing you can do in this. They took apart the ring and I was extremely worried because the ring started to disintegrate and guys were falling between the boards.

Danielson Vs Sabre was a must-watch. They should show that to anyone getting into wrestling.

Okada Vs Tanahashi was obviously very emotional but not up to their previous standards. The video they showed before the match was tremendous.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
kmwtxiD.png

very lucky no one got bad hurt

JHawk

Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
Reaction score
That War Games match was at the perfect go home spot at about the 35:00 mark (all ten guys stare at each other and start brawling, clearing the ring to leave it to Ospreay and Finlay) then went another 30 minutes. Pretty much the definition of too much of a good thing.

Not saying I hated it or it won't be a MOTY candidate but I would have liked it a lot more had it ended then

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
February 23 will see Okada, Tomohiro Ishii, Hirooki Goto, YOSHI-HASHI, and YOH take on Jeff Cobb, Great-O-Khan, Aaron Henare, Francesco Akira, and Callum Newman. In his final match with the company on February 24, Okada will team with Hiroshi Tanahashi, Ishii, Goto, and YOSHI-HASHI against Matt Riddle, Cobb, Great-O-Khan, Henare, and Akira.

Tama Tonga’s final match with NJPW will also be held on the 24th. He will team with Tanga Loa to take on fellow Guerillas of Destiny stablemates Hikuleo and ELP.
---

Big letdown for anyone expecting Okada to put a young guy over on the way out. I don't know why NJPW made this call but my guesses would be a combo of wanting to get him back as soon as they can and also fear of a fan backlash against anyone who beat him. The fans have been so behind him on this final tour I could see the possibility of a negative reaction sort of like when Naito was originally pushed.

I'm hoping Chaos is disbanded with Okada gone but I'm getting the feeling with this setup he's going to ask Tanahashi to join in his place or something.

Epic for the Summer

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Dolph Ziggler and Matt Riddle are now NJPW title holders. About damn time they started pushing some real stars SMH.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Suzuki leaving isn't a big deal since he's been a very minor part of the company for years now and he's got nothing left to do there. The other stuff last night was terrible. At least EVIL can't win NJ Cup this way though.

I don't know what is going on with NJPW's booking but two ppv's in a row where they switch all the belts that are on the line just looks chaotic. I assume some of this is because of Tama Tonga and Okada leaving somewhat unexpectedly. Cutting Finlay's run short doesn't make a lot of sense though.

They need a major reset and refocus on the younger talent plus Naito and Sabre.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
He also vowed to come back in previous comments. Saying both is the best strategy for him.

There is zero question WWE would fumble him. When have they ever booked a Japanese wrestler well? The closest is Asuka maybe and they still turned her into a caricature. How many people not born in the US/Canada have they booked well period? Rey and Eddie were both born in the US.

AEW hasn't created any megastars but they've created several stars such as MJF. If they ever put the effort into developing their infrastructure then they could create a megastar and Okada could be one of those.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
NJ Cup starts tonight/tomorrow at the anniversary show, along with Naito Vs SHO.
%E8%8B%B1%E8%AA%9E600400.png

As usual most of the first round isn't super exciting. It also looks like Shota is setup to lose to Jack Perry in the first round which continues the Shota being the new Naito "face who must suffer" storyline. Classic Gedo.

I can see Finlay, Sabre, one of the Reiwa 3/Yuya, or just because Gedo hates us, EVIL winning in that order. Hard to see anyone else winning although I'd personally love to see TAICHI get a title shot.

I'm just making something up here off the top of my head but if they decide to have Shota beat Perry they could have him win the tourny and pull a Nakamura where he decides not to challenge for the main belt but instead go after EVIL again because of the promise he made to Tama Tonga to win it. That way he gets to win the tournament and win a title because he's not ready to have the main belt yet and I don't think Naito should drop it either.