Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Random EC F'N W Bullshit

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Absolutely nothing. Really tempt fate and get Gordy to come in for a Gangstas match, for that matter.

Lazgistics Supervisor

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
This brings the "what if they went to ECW in 1995/1996" roster to...

-The Goon
-Duke "The Dumpster" Droese
-Michael PS Hayes

Valeyard

Reaction score
Irwin is probably a low-card Raven's Nest guy who drops off for a while but comes back with the FBI. Irwin, Smothers, and Rich in some fashion are a pretty decent vet stable.

Drose would be beloved by the fans, I think. Like he and Hack Myers would be on the same level. Maybe he can expand to where Balls got because he had the charisma and probably was a better worker in a traditional sense.

Hayes just represents everything ECW was against and could go anywhere. He can be a genuine heel, a comedy guy, a manager, a tag guy...he fits more than he doesn't, and he can hide behind the hardcore stuff enough to be a success story. I really think he has some great stuff with Cactus, Sandman, and Mikey. Get a partner (Gordy is easy but I'm gonna say Jason Knight works too) and you have a perfect foil for Public Enemy or the Gangstas. He's probably done completely before Barely Legal but he has uses.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Hayes was still active in WCW/Texas Indies into 1994 so he could have done some early ECW.

He fits better with SMW vs the Gangsters as Tracy is already a rebel flag waving face.

The high school gyms would be rocking. Houses may have hit 350 instead of 300. Bah Gawd.

---
Irwin coming in with John Hawk (Bradshaw) in 94 could have been some fun tag brawls with the Bad Company, Public Enemy, Bad Breed etc.

--
Drose being a reclamation project in 97 could work. He either cleans up and becomes a whole different gimmick or leans into the sloppiness and tags/feuds with Balls.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That’s got to be from ‘00 or that weird brief 6 month or so stretch at the beginning of WWECW when they had their own house shows and were treated somewhat on the same level as RAW & Smackdown. Sandman looking like he occasionally works out seems to support my theory. Although that photo is taken from such a distance that he might have been his more typical pudgy drunk .

Lazgistics Supervisor

Reaction score
Yeah, that's from 2000 after Sandy returned. He didn't have that barbed wire tattoo up his arm until late in his WCW run, and there's no way that Vince would've let the WWECW truck carry the old ECW '95-'98 logo.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I Mandela Effected WWECW using the ‘95-‘98 logo except in purple (“CAUSE WE NEED COLOR DAMMIT, PAL”). Maybe that is cause that is the chyron that Peacock uses for WWECW?

Valeyard

Reaction score
They've slowly kinda disowned the razor blade logo and I'm cool with it.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Of all the objectionable things about WWECW, the logo was pretty low on the list. And, yeah, the razor logo screams 1998.

CZW just dropped the barbed wire from its logo within the past five years cause DJ Hyde refuses to let go of the late ‘90s.

@Laz : Cowards!!!

Valeyard

Reaction score
The logo is exemplifies the problem. Overly clean and trying to be edgy. It was like an out of touch album cover by a band who "always wanted to change our style and finally could." They shouldn't have touched it, of all things, but they at least were smart in wanting to differentiate in such a way that it's easy to know which era to avoid.

Lazgistics Supervisor

Reaction score
I Mandela Effected WWECW using the ‘95-‘98 logo except in purple (“CAUSE WE NEED COLOR DAMMIT, PAL”). Maybe that is cause that is the chyron that Peacock uses for WWECW?
IIRC, the purple logo came about in 1999 around the TNN deal, and then the cartoonish 3D logo was there for the TNN debut.

Lazgistics Supervisor

Reaction score
The logo is exemplifies the problem. Overly clean and trying to be edgy. It was like an out of touch album cover by a band who "always wanted to change our style and finally could." They shouldn't have touched it, of all things, but they at least were smart in wanting to differentiate in such a way that it's easy to know which era to avoid.
Aye. It's understandable that Vince wanted to make the brand his own, fitting into the conspiracy theory that he intentionally tanked the WWECW brand so that fans would stop chanting "E-C-Dub" whenever something cool would finally happen, but it just happened to work out wonderfully that the new logo coincided with the dreadful first episode.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Ironically, a lot of the people who still chant "WHAT?" in 2024 are probably the same people who still chant "ECW".

Valeyard

Reaction score
She fit ECW perfectly. I also love that she's like the only person who has tried to accuse the Undertaker of being a creep.

Valeyard

Reaction score
The only guy to get anything actually good out of Credible was Lynn, too.

That Lynn and Tanaka vs Awesome and Credible match is severely underrated.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I wouldn’t blame anyone for thinking Heyman had lost his fastball creatively after he picked Justin Credible to be the face of the company after the Mike Awesome/Taz debacle.

Lazgistics Supervisor

Reaction score
Credible was the only credible (no way to avoid that pun) heel they had who wasn't in the Network, and he for sure wasn't going anywhere. He also wasn't as bad a worker as people made him out to be, he just didn't gel particularly well with anybody but Lynn. The Dreamer matches were solid brawls, especially GAC '99.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That seems like a sensible move now knowing that ECW was just trying to survive in the Spring of ‘00 but knowing what we knew then, from a casual fan’s perspective, it was a horrible choice.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I still think Steve Corino would have been better but I also think he was flirting with WCW so maybe he wasn’t as loyal as Credible.

Wait a minute…why not put Rhino in that spot? I know he had the TV Title already (which was weirdly usually almost as prestigious as the World) but still. Babyfaces trying to upend monster heel is as good of an idea as any for ‘00 ECW. It seems like Heyman got that idea eventually but unfortunately it was the last ECW PPV.

Fact of the matter is that Hulk Hogan, Steve Austin, and a reincarnated Ed “Strangler” Lewis could have jumped over to ECW in ‘00 and they still would have been up the creek without a paddle with the way Paul E ran business.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Credible was a fine transitional guy but he never left.

Corino was a way better option but yeah he'd have jumped if the right offer came. But I don't think he'd have pulled an Awesome either.

I'd have given Tajiri a shot because why not?