Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Random Thoughts & Topics v2

AnonymousBroccoli

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I've got a couple extra copies of the freebies Humble Store was giving out the past two Mondays. Let me know if you'd like either of them. The Steam codes expire in a few days.

Warlock: Master of the Arcane (expires Monday at 10AM PDT)
http://store.steampowered.com/app/203630/

Receiver (expires Sep 29 at 10AM PDT)
http://store.steampowered.com/app/234190/

Big Papa Paegan

L. A. Z.
Reaction score
Re: Random Thoughts & Topics v2

I'm sick of the shitty modem/router that Comcast is renting me. I'm off to buy my own set either tonight or this weekend.

Any tips or suggestions? I know I want a separate modem and router, I've read up a little and came to that conclusion, but I'm not interested in dropping too much on it.

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The new Lord of the Rings game is getting pretty noteworthy good reviews. I, myself, hate LOTR but when you see a drop of some 9.0+ reviews for a game you at least give it a look I suppose.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
Apparently the game has some of the best mechanics out there.

Also, I've just realized I've got nearly 20 days clocked on Fire Emblem Awakenings. I mean, yeah, sure I play it on bus rides, which I have plenty of, but I didn't think I racked up that much time playing it.

AnonymousBroccoli

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Some Canadian users are getting an e-mail that Steam will be switching to the Canadian Dollar in about a week.

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2014/09/30/canadian-dollar-hits-steam-on-october-7/108608/
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=904328

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
Yup. Just got that in the mail. Though it says that it will have real time Canadian money, so not that it is really changing anything. You can have it on Canadian money or leave it on US.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Paid $49.92 for 12 Mystery Mini's of the Series 2 set of MLP from Funko. Saved myself $21.48 with my employee discount though.

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think bioshock was my favorite game of last gen. Red dead redemption is up there too.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think I only like three games on that list. I can acknowledge that a lot of the other ones are objectively good games, but I don't enjoy them.

However Little Big Planet is a fucking piece of trash garbage game with garbage ass controls. Sure, the creation tools are awesome and you can make a lot of stuff with them, but then at some point you actually have to PLAY it and it all falls apart.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Because it's not a fun game to play, at ALL. It's fun to look at the creation stuff every 6 months and say "Huh. That's neat. Time to never look at this again."

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
My favorite game from the gen before last is definitely KOTOR. ... Whatever it's a random thought...

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I just hastily put together my own list of my 10 favorite games from this past generation, keeping it console only (sorry Binding of Isaac, you deserve it over so many of those games) so that the generations could be clearly defined. Then I kept going and made it 20 instead because if Quentin Tarantino can do that shit with Kill Bill, I can too.

20. Amped 3
19. UNO (yeah, UNO! Hell it should probably be higher up. For the longest time the 360 was my $400 UNO machine)
18. Culdcept SAGA
17. DmC: Devil May Dry
16. Tomb Raider
15. Deadly Premonition
14. 'Splosion Man
13. Saints Row the Third
12. Asura's Wrath
11. Condemned
10. Borderlands
9. Batman: Arkham Asylum
8. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
7. Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
6. Tales of Vesperia
5. Super Meat Boy
4. Trials Evolution
3. The Last of Us
2. Uncharted 2
1. Sleeping Dogs

Feel free to tear my list apart and tell me how wrong it is, that's what these are for anyway. There's a good chance I just simply forgot a game anyway.

Edit: just remembered DmC, rankings readjusted. Sorry NFS!

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
I'm thinking of selling what little is left of my video game collection just to help out. Anyone got any idea what PS2 games are worth? I'm assuming like $10 at most?

AnonymousBroccoli

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Depends on the games, but that seems right. Maybe check eBay for individual games, to see if you've got something unexpectedly rare.

I've used this site in the past to get a rough idea about value, but I don't know what sort of practical info it'll provide:
http://videogames.pricecharting.com/

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
Nah, I don't got anything rare. At least not rare enough for anyone to care.

AnonymousBroccoli

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Steam's making the conversion to several local currencies today. Here's the Canadian Dollar page:
http://store.steampowered.com/cad

I had $2.92USD in my wallet, which was exchanged to $3.28CAD. XE.com puts today's conversion at $3.26086, so that works.

Game prices are good and bad.

Some games seem to do a straight conversion: The Evil Within is in that ballpark, at $66.49.

Somewhat predictably, some $60USD games went up to $70CAD: Far Cry 4, Assassin's Creed Unity, NBA 2K15...

A lot of games added $5. On more expensive games, that works out slightly well for us: Shadow of Mordor, Ryse, CoD: Advanced Warfare and its season pass...

A lot of games--including cheaper items--seem to be adding 10%.

And some are being super nice, by treating us at par: Civ: Beyond Earth, Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, The Crew, DmC: Devil May Cry, various older Assassin's Creed games...

Probably be some oddities, like Tomb Raider (2013)'s base game adding $5, GOTY adding $10, individual DLC and the bundle adding 10%, and the big franchise Tomb Raider Collection seeming like a straight exchange.

Molotov The Bear

Chainsaw Batman & Tyrano Shark
Reaction score
EA's giving away the first Dragon Age for free on Origins

http://www.cnet.com/news/eas-dragon-age-origins-is-on-the-house/

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
:-\ Need to install Origin. Ugh... But free game! Decisions...

oldskool

oldskool
Reaction score
I bought that for $37.50 the first time it went on sale on Steam, and so far I've installed it twice and played it exactly zero times. Damn it.

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score
The guys at Giant Bomb just did a playthrough of the first MGS and that got me to get the HD versions of 2 & 3. MGS2 doesn't look that much different from the PS2 original which says a lot about how incredible it looked at the time.

I was also reminded how fucking awful the Jack and Rose stuff was.

Haws Bah Gawd

TRTSM's Color Commentator
Reaction score
KingPK said:
The guys at Giant Bomb just did a playthrough of the first MGS and that got me to get the HD versions of 2 & 3. MGS2 doesn't look that much different from the PS2 original which says a lot about how incredible it looked at the time.

I was also reminded how fucking awful the Jack and Rose stuff was.

A lot of those 2001 era PS2 games aged shockingly well. They were way ahead of their times graphic wise. The Jack and Rose drama is indeed pretty awful. I would usually just play through the first part as Snake then say screw the rest.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Been playing PS2 Vice City lately and getting hung up on the same mission that hung me up in 2003, the mini helicopter building destruction early on. Like WTF is it with this mission that keeps tying me up.

Sabre

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Of course it is. I really wasn't a fan of. Soz everything you played was just suppose to mimic mgs1. Still a great game, however I feel as if the controls are very dated now. Tho I think I prefer them over the current mgs4 > ground zeroes controls.

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score
I get what Kojima was going for, but it was one of those situations when someone tries to get philosophical but goes WAAY up their own ass in doing so that it just comes across as word vomit and ends up confusing the hell out of everyone.