Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Random Thoughts & Topics v2

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I got into the AC games late. I bought 1, 2, Brotherhood and Revelations all at once. I think Brotherhood was my favorite. Finishing part one was a chore though. Revelations was fun but added nothing to the story.
I've just now started AC3. I like the setting, but I'm not sure how I'll like the game.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
AC2 and Brotherhood are easily the best in the series. It's all downhill from there, but 4 is a decent game too.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
If anyone here likes Civilization series or 4X type games, I'd recommend Endless Legend. Game just came out recently and I've been immensely enjoying it since yesterday. The AI is a bit timid once you build up a decent army, but I like it. There are many different ways to win the game as well. Questing (I think?), Expansion, Commerce, Science, Diplomatic, Domination, and I think two or three others I'm forgetting.

It is a fantasy/sci-fi type of world, so if you want something realistic, this isn't your game. Also, it has a mechanic for winter in which you get hit by a lot of harsh conditions. When winter hits, you lose food production (like lots of it to all of it). I only so far have experience with the Vaulters, and they've got ways around it later since they are a Science faction, but early on, winter is your worst enemy.

Oh, and no mods just yet as it is really that new. For those wondering who made the game, it is Amplitude Studio that did.

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score
Two Mass Effect games down. This time I finally managed to rescue my crew (including sweet Kelly Chambers) and only lost one party member (Zaeed, but he's a dick). ME2 is probably the best game of the 360/PS3 generation. Great story, great characters. Only 3 has the better gameplay. I might be the only one that actually enjoyed probing planets.

Edwin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I also loved probing planets! At least once I bought the scanner upgrade. It's awful when it's slow, but weirdly soothing when you have the speed upgrade.

I think ME2 is my favorite game of that generation, too. 3's combat is a little tighter and it has the dangerously addictive multiplayer, but 2 has better characters and sidequests. The Shadow Broker DLC also happens to be one of the best scenarios in the entire trilogy, almost as good as Virmire in the first game and Tuchanka in the third.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
Hold my monies for Cyber Monday and hope that the Complete Edition of Civilization V goes on sale or take some of that money and buy a micro-action from an MMO instead of grinding it out. Decisions, decisions.

AnonymousBroccoli

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Civ V Complete is currently $17USD here, which seems like it's the typical sale price.
http://www.dlgamer.us/download-civilization_5_the_complete-pc_games-p-22569.html

Somewhere like Green Man Gaming might have it for around $12-13 with a coupon code in the next week. Or this Christmas, it could go down to 75% off on sale, which would be $12.50.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I got the first 2 skate games, bully scholarship edition and Kingdoms of Amular all for under 4 bucks each as Black Friday sales on the 360. I might pick up a few more.

AnonymousBroccoli

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Flik, if you didn't buy either of those, here's Civ V: Complete again, for $9.62USD. You have to log in to see it, and add to cart from that page to get the price. Vouchers aren't valid, but if you have GMG credit, you can use that.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/green-thursday-vip/

AnonymousBroccoli

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Geoff Keighley's The Game Awards are tonight at 9PM EST.
http://thegameawards.com/

And Steam's got a related sale, with some nominated games.
http://store.steampowered.com/sale/2014vgas/

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Bruno 'The Tire Iron' Coltrane said:
Operation Rainfall is doing a poll on which games to try to get localized next! http://operationrainfall.com/vote-to-localize-sega-konami-polls/

YAKUZA 5 in the SEGA section was a no-brainer vote for me. WANT WANT WANT!

Sega finally caved! While the campaign above failed, both Sony and Sega recognized how loud the fans voices were for a localization of Yakuza 5 and are bringing to PS3 (digitally) next summer! SO. HYPE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBHYncsmasQ

Exslade ZX

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Any chance anyone has a stored Demonoid invitation?

Or know a reliable torrent/download site for comics? Had the urge to catch up on the DC Universe, but then realized with TPB gone for the moment, I'd have to resort to Google. And..eh. If it's as good as it once was, Demonoid is really the only other torrent site I like getting anything from.

Danville_Wrestling

Danville_Wrestling
Reaction score
EA Sports can kiss my ass. I went the other day to get the rest of the DLC for Tiger Woods 14 and they pulled it because they don't want to pay Tiger royalties anymore. Ridiculous.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Xavier Woods submitted a guest top 10 list for Giant Bomb again this year

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/xavier-woods-top-10-games-of-2014/1100-5128/

But fuck that noise, supposedly Stardust also submitted a list, but it just hasn't been published yet.

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score
I'm honestly struggling to find even 5 games to list as the "best" of the year. Most I've played has been just OK at best. My list would probably be Sunset Overdrive, South Park and then an amorphous blob of meh.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah I went through earlier in the week looking at a wiki of every game released in 2014, and I could only find 9 or 10 games I would even categorize as good. Obviously I haven't played everything, but that's still a sad number. Everything is just "Junk. Junk. Broken. Remake. Broken. Remake. Remake. BADLY Broken. Junk."

I think my 2014 GOTY is Valiant Hearts.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
Here's what I consider Best of 2014:
Nidhogg
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII
Bravely Default
South Park: The Stick of Truth
Dark Souls II
Infamous: Second Son
BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasm
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Transistor
Wolfenstein: The New Order
Mario Kart 8
Shovel Knight
Divinity: Original Sin
Rogue Legacy
Super Smash Bros.
Suikoden II
Dragon Age: Inquisition

Now I don't own all of these. ..., I can admit I own like maybe 3 of those at best. Probably haven't played enough of these to give a good opinion either. But they would be the games I point people to who want a good game.

And yeah, we totally forgot about the games that came out at the beginning of the year. I honestly thought the third game in the awful FFXIII franchise was last year. Shocking that it isn't.

Edit: I think the biggest problem is that a lot of the good games have flaws that drop them from being those games we cherish a lot. Like Realm Reborn is a MMO, Inquisition needed more time to bake, Bravely Default drags when it gets to a certain point, etc.

You can't point at any game this year that is good and go "yup, everyone will like it".

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score
I didn't know getting a copy of College Hoops 2K8 would be so difficult. I finally got one off EBay after losing four bids. I remember playing the shit out of it back when it came out and just have a Jones for a college basketball game.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
KingPK said:
I didn't know getting a copy of College Hoops 2K8 would be so difficult. I finally got one off EBay after losing four bids. I remember playing the shit out of it back when it came out and just have a Jones for a college basketball game.

The thing that always gets me with college games (especially hoops) is turning some kid that isn't a superstar in real life into one in the game because of the way you play and thinking "man...if only he could be like this in real life." Then you get disappointed that he's a failure.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
http://www.joystiq.com/2015/01/12/multiplayer-friday-the-13th-game-in-production/

A multi vs. solo player Friday the 13th game is in production, according to EGM. Positioned as an "asymmetrical, co-operative and competitive multiplayer predator/prey horror experience," the game is currently in development at an unnamed studio. This is not a reboot of the terrible NES game.

"We have some exciting new ideas for a game that supplies plenty of replay value, while delivering the kinds of thrills and scares that fans of the franchise have come to expect," Friday the 13th creator Sean S. Cunningham tells EGM. The game's October launch will coincide with a new film and television series. The studio in charge of the game will be announced "in the coming weeks."

If you thought an Evolve-style game set in the Friday the 13th universe was already in development, we're with you on the association. There's the teen horror movie survival game Until Dawn, which has been on the periphery for two years now. There's also the 5 vs. 1 survival horror game, Last Year, which was funded on Kickstarter and uses Friday the 13th iconography.

DrVenkman PhD

You don't know me and you don't have to know me
Reaction score
Hopefully it includes this:

hqdefault.jpg

Or better yet:

CpUI5vF.jpg

AnonymousBroccoli

Integral Poster
Reaction score
In news I'm sure everyone expected to hear today...

NEW ROCK BAND 3 DLC TOMORROW
1k9b.gif

http://www.harmonixmusic.com/blog/rb-dlc-11315/

Arctic Monkeys – “R U Mine?”
Avenged Sevenfold – “Shepherd Of Fire”
Foo Fighters – “Something From Nothing”