Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Random TNA Bullshit Vol. 2

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Trashbag Dustin was the worst. Glad he got help.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I watched this episode. Not cause the TNA connection but because MTV MADE was probably the last MTV show I got really into!

According to Wikipedia, there were THREE "I want to be made into a pro wrestler!" episodes involving TNA. Others had AJ Styles and Lisa Marie Varon had coaches. I only vaguely remember the AJ Styles episode (mostly cause I was like "Why are they making AJ do lame, low level teen reality TV?), don't remember the Lisa Marie one but I remember the basketball episode with CEDRIC CEBALLOS.

Damn now I hope MTV MADE is on Paramount Plus but I kind of assume it's lost in the '00s/early '10s post VCR/pre streaming void.

Valeyard

Reaction score
MTV truly died when they cancelled My Life As Liz.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
There is one season of MTV MADE on Paramount Plus. Considering the show's run was entirely during that post VCR/pre streaming wilderness era, I'll take a little bit of MADE over none. That one season does include the wrestler episode with Lisa Marie Varon as coach AND a stand up comedian episode with JB Smoove as the coach!!! And considering it's from 2012, there's no damn way I watched these as they were happening so they'll be new to me!

Valeyard

Reaction score
I had a film class with a girl who went on to go from being a geek to being a model or something. Very beautiful but really awkward while still reminding people she was on Made.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I went to college with a girl who was on Made too. She was a somewhat mousy girl with a speech impediment who tried to be made into a dance pop singer. Unintentional comedy levels were about where you'd expect them to be.

Valeyard

Reaction score
It's funny. Like you always think about what happens to people after a show like that ends and they just get weird. This girl was nice when she wasn't humblebragging ("Oh you're in my class good I thought you were someone who recognized me from that show Made. You know it?" shit).

Room Raiders would've been the perfect TNA crossover. Do some Feast Or Fired with it.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think the issue with MTV/TNA cross promotions is MTV is least cool to men who just aged out of the demographic and TNA was marketed almost exclusively to men who just aged out of the MTV demographic.

And that is also why Wrestling Society X was doomed to fail.

Cue @Laz grumbling about how he has been trying to tell me this for years.

Valeyard

Reaction score
WSX talk makes me miss Lucha Underground. Concept done right. WSX was like four years too late, however I was a DIFH guy because Jimmy Jacobs. Can't imagine what watching it now is like.

TNA's cross-promotions never worked. Maybe when they built up Eric The Midget and Bobby Roode feuding on Stern, but that's heavily biased for my bro Eric. But like, it's always going to bring to mind Best Damn Sports Show appearance when I think of TNA's attempts and how embarrassing it was to be a fan.

Epic for the Summer

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Bob Backlund was actually pretty good during his Impact stint. He was in great shape and didn't mind working with younger talent. The match he had with Alex Shelley was a lot better than it had any right to be.

IIRC, Nash kept bringing him up in promos to the point where fans were wondering when Bob was gonna show up.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
What's with the mid '00s obsession at using mostly nude oily, fat and/or hairy men for comedic purposes? And why did it have to happen 10 years before I was comfortable, fat, and hairy enough to cash in.
Epic's post inspired me to look up '07 TNA PPV results and the big fat oily guy was called Big Fat Oily Guy.

Like put in some effort and try to not make your Family Guy ripoffs so obvious, '00s TNA Creative!

Big Papa Paegan

L. A. Z.
Reaction score
I've said it so many times, but Jerry Lynn got me into death metal via an interview he did for WOW back in '00. He ran down a list of his favorite death metal albums, I grabbed a couple off the list, and never looked back.

That all said, he was always one of the worst guys to use "I love death metal" as any sort of gimmick basis. Not because he wasn't talented, of course, but because he was so damn crisp and clean that it was always a surprise he was super into some of the nastiest music that could ever be played.

...and his growl sucked.

Big Papa Paegan

L. A. Z.
Reaction score
I literally don't remember that ever happening.

And he should've called it the Gotcha Pull.
Since it's a Gotch piledriver and "getcha pull" was Dimebag Darrell's trademark saying.