Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Random TNA Bullshit Vol. 2

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Remember when Punk chose WWE over TNA because TNA wouldn't let him debut in a Broadway with Joe on ppv? Great times.
Where do you think not seeing CM Punk as a main event talent in 2005 rank amongst TNA’s biggest regrets?

Like I don’t think it alters the course of wrestling history cause LOLTNA but having Punk in his prime in TNA during TNA’s best era would have produced a lot of damn damn good wrestling. Cc @Laz

At the very least, I wish we could have seen a CM Punk Vs Big Poppa Pump promo segment…

Big Papa Paegan

L. A. Z.
Reaction score
Punk in TNA would've gone about as well as every other big name indie talent in TNA: some great matches and moments from 2005-2006, and then horribly misused (aside from the inevitable programs with Angle) before they left for greener pastures.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
All that but with more drama. It isn't like Punk would've suffered all that shit with a smile like Storm or Styles did. It'd be a vocal, dramatic series of events that would make TNA look like TNA and Punk look like Punk. No way he and Dixie stay cool and his self-awarded status as locker room leader would cause so many problems with the old guard that it'd be wonderful. Then he leaves the business when Hogan takes over because Hogan doesn't see him as a top guy, WWE isn't quite where they'd bring him in to his satisfaction, and I don't see him having the patience to be a NJPW exclusive until that time came.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I feel like bringing in Hogan and Bischoff in and of itself is not the terrible idea. Even having them as major onscreen characters in the early 2010s is not the worst idea. Bringing them and giving them a similar level of creative control that they did in the ‘90s? Not so good, Al.

I don’t think they were humbled enough to just be a part of the team until after this Impact run bombed

Valeyard

Reaction score
I'm not sure Bischoff is humbled by much.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Maybe if him and Patrick Ewing ever swapped partners at the Gold Club.

Funny thing about Bischoff is he is eager to admit that he was a part of a lot of really dumb stuff in pro wrestling but never takes responsibility for any of it. I guess that’s running a wrestling promotion for you.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Because I drift nowadays into old threads, I just wanna recognize these:

lol

The iconic "Abyss gets the magic ring" taping.

I don't remember the story of Red and London coming in as a team at all. Also people here really liked Trevor Murdoch enough to think he could be a breakout star.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Now this is a Conrad podcast I will tune into. Finally we will get the lowdown on the thought process behind Disco Inferno: main eventer, @Laz .

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Oh crap. Since CM Punk is involved, Conrad will find a way to shoe horn in 45 minutes of current AEW talk and Jeff proselytizing about how Punk in AEW will work this time dammit. Gag.

Valeyard

Reaction score
If the Gilberti push wasn't directly after Raven getting straight entombed and with no other major feud on the horizon, I'd try to defend it, but I seriously can't see anything positive that happened. If you add it into Styles becoming the worst booked champion of all time right after (and Russo coming back as a character), it's all the worse.

I will say that if TNA had a proper midcard title and Disco got that push it doesn't fail half as hard.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I fired up the first PPV for a minute. You never get a second chance to make a first impression. TNA opening up their first PPV with a hastily put together legends segment (cause an obese man broke the ring in the dark match) followed by your three top stars complaining about how stupid the main event is followed by an angry midget promo really kind of sealed the LOLTNA reputation, didn’t it?

At least, Goldilocks looked the hottest she had ever been. Wa wa wee wa.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I mean you gotta start somewhere.

The opening bitching about the gauntlet match wouldn't be that bad if everyone didn't know one of the guys complaining owned the company and could just put the belt on himself. That was always a big problem and ruined a lot of suspension of disbelief.

Early AEW had BDSM Dark Order, Sammy dressed as a panda, and Brandi stealing people's hair for no reason. I accept midgets and Johnsons as early growing pains.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah but AEW didn’t lead off with those shitty things!

I did get pop for Scott Hall wearing a t shirt for the Landing Strip, a strip club near the Detroit Metro Airport. Again really selling this as an important night in wrestling history.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Wes Brisco is an AEW signing that hasn't happened yet.