Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The Attitude Era Thread Vol 1

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Stevie Ray was supposed to be in Bossman's spot in early 2002 but HHH talked Austin out of it (Austin had to give his blessing) saying Stevie would hurt him

Fall of Epic

Epic Reine
Reaction score
It was actually Lance Storm in that match instead of Bossman. Trayler wasn't on the card at all unless he made an appearance in one of those goofy hardcore title segments.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Stevie Ray was supposed to be in Bossman's spot in early 2002 but HHH talked Austin out of it (Austin had to give his blessing) saying Stevie would hurt him
Another reason Triple H is the worst. Stevie could've got a commentary gig out of it at least.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
He'd be much better than Ernest Miller, Bill DeMott, or Steve Romero

I could see him and early 00's Josh Matthews (when he was somewhat tolerable) being fun together and having weirdly entertaining chemistry.

Fall of Epic

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Steve Corino auditioned for a commentator role after ECW's demise. They didn't want him on camera due to all the scarring on his forehead from blading.

Tino Standard

Integral Poster
Reaction score
No Mercy '99 to Wrestlemania 17 is peak, just because a really great ladder match turned into a fucking awesome TLC match.
I was at that No Mercy, and that ladder match is probably the best match I have ever seen live.

Fun story about that show: I was in high school and went with a few buddies. We had seats in the nosebleeds, but one of my friends knew someone with a suite directly across from the hard cam. They snuck us (and apparently a LOT of other people) in during the undercard.

Anyway, sometime after the ladder match, there was a lull in the action and the crowd decided to ignore whatever match was happening in the ring and instead focus on another tradition of the Attitude Era: getting a hot girl in the stands to flash the crowd. After some convincing, she did it, and like a bunch of idiots, all of us in the suite piled over the railing to get a look.

Unfortunately, this caused a security guard in the section below us to look up at the commotion. As soon as I saw him doing a head count, I knew we were on borrowed time, and sure enough, we were back in the nosebleeds by the main event.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
King of the Ring '99 is complete Mr. ass as well. Sorry @The Art of Postin' . Nothing stands out on the non major PPVs after St. Valentine's Day Massacre either outside of, for some reason, Ken Shamrock and Steve Blackman fighting in a parking lot and the Six Pack Challenge main event at Unforgiven '99.

Oh and Owen Hart dying but that's something I don't wax nostalgic about.
I thought attitude era lasted till the invasion angle and in that case WMX7 obviously holds up. I guess we need to define some terms here

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Feels like there should be a name for that period Austin was gone. I missed him a TON but by the time he got back I didn't think he'd fit in that landscape. The idea of Austin coming in right after the HHH/Angle/Steph thing was crazy.

JN News

Pizzamaniac
Reaction score
Edge and his tortured soul gimmick is what put me on his bandwagon forever. Plus, Owen Hart & The British Bulldog were the two workhorses of the WWF in the Attitude Era.

Sex Machine Gun

Kotzenjunge
Reaction score
Feels like there should be a name for that period Austin was gone. I missed him a TON but by the time he got back I didn't think he'd fit in that landscape. The idea of Austin coming in right after the HHH/Angle/Steph thing was crazy.
Yes, this. At the time I was pretty happy with the roster and 2000 was SO good. Then he had a decently cool Disturbed version of his song but, at that time, time compression was very real. Even in 2000, watching the Royal Rumble '98 tape I borrowed from a friend in high school, that period looked positively ancient and insane in comparison.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Corny talking about Too Cool on his latest pod gave me this fun experiment: Drop Attitude Era guys into the New Generation w/gimmick intact and see if they work or if they were part of the rising tides of Austin carrying everything into a "cool" vibe.

Too Cool in 1995 feels like a team that would work silly dance spots to dead crowds wondering if Techno Team 2000 is coming up soon.

Side bar: I was surprised a few weeks ago to see Too Cool only got 1 run with the straps. I would have guessed more just based on the ADD booking (granted Russo was gone by the time they were "over")

Valeyard

Reaction score
Too Cool would've been the bigger version of PG-13 thus getting them a full time gig.

Big Papa Paegan

L. A. Z.
Reaction score
I'm not sure if Too Cool would've hit that niche in 1995 like they did in 2000, though. "White boys into rap" looked and acted VERY different in those two years.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Brian Christopher and Scott Taylor were (even at that point in '95-'96) solid enough workers that I think Too Cool would've worked in New Generation Era but slightly less well than they did in the Attitude Era. They never would've gotten a cup of coffee with the tag team titles. I think they basically would've been the defacto Bushwhackers replacement. A fun team to go over in opening matches.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Brian Christopher and Scott Taylor were (even at that point in '95-'96) solid enough workers that I think Too Cool would've worked in New Generation Era but slightly less well than they did in the Attitude Era. They never would've gotten a cup of coffee with the tag team titles. I think they basically would've been the defacto Bushwhackers replacement. A fun team to go over in opening matches.
Probably be accused of being soft versions of Public Enemy.

---
Val Venis was a top guy in Mexico with a Robot inspired gimmick. Plop that into the WWF and get a jacked up joke more than likely.

The Godwins and Jarrett as Southern Justice probably do much better than as a singing goof and pig farmers.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Maybe Jarrett but I don't see Godwinns doing better as Southern Justice in New Generation era. The goofy pig farmers fit cartoony '96 WWF better. If they were serious bruising heels, I don't see them doing much better than Jacob & Eli Blu (or Shanghai Pierce and Tex Slazenger in '93-'94 WCW).

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
TOO MUCH would have been perfectly placed in the New Generation era. Gay panic heels against the likes of the pig fuckers and the rodeo boys? Cmon man.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I just like imagining them getting PG-13's spot in the Nation.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I wish we had gotten some interaction with Brian Christopher and Ahmed Johnson.

Comparing them to PG-13 makes me wonder about a sliding doors scenario where Too Cool jumps to WCW in '99-'00. They probably would've been multiple time tag team champions. But I mean, being the 5th or 6th most important tag team in '00 WWF is probably better than being multiple time tag team champions in '00 WCW.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Think of how much better '00 WCW would have been if Too Much were Double J's lackeys instead of the Harris Boys.

Well not a lot but it'd have been somewhat better!

Valeyard

Reaction score
His SEX gimmick would've been huge in 1998. Forced to be in charge of the Corporation while Vince is off somewhere, if only for the interaction with Mankind wanting to know where his dad was.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If Brian Christopher was taller, he probably would've been a massive star. He could work, but did seem to break down fairly quick. He was pretty great in USWA though. His dad totally aped his high pitched voice and weasel laugh too. It was weird when Jerry said he took the high pitch voiced from Curly on his Broken Skull Sessions. That was totally him doing Christopher's laugh and voice.