Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The Attitude Era Thread Vol 1

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
It didn't happen enough. I know they beat the fuck out of Hayes era Hardys, but fully over Hardys vs APA would've been nice.

I just got so burnt out on all the Hardys, Dudleys, and E&C combinations. They always delivered but it was always those three coming back to each other and the rest of the division didn't get a real chance to hit the top. There were so many.

Valeyard

Reaction score
You can never have enough Bull Buchanan though. Dude was great.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
That clip is exactly why Ahmed was never a top guy. Dude getting hurt off a simple suplex. C'mon bro.

Yes, I understand he was likely still battling kidney problems at this time

Valeyard

Reaction score
The excessive leg pads always are funny to me. Should've gone with long tights.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Sorry @tekcop :(

That one King Mabel appearance in Summer of '98 was v. odd. I remember I must've watched Nitro that night cause one of my classmates or brothers was like "Then King Mabel showed up and lost to Ken Shamrock" and I was like "HUH!?"

Checked it on Cawthon's and this was the RAW that went against the Nitro where Goldberg won the World Title so no wonder I missed it.

Lazgistics Supervisor

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
the rest of the division didn't get a real chance to hit the top. There were so many.
I mean, the APA had awful matches on the regular, and the only other options were Lo Down (ruined quickly by Tiger Ali Singh) and RTC (X-Pac heat by that point) and...Too Cool?

Valeyard

Reaction score
APA were solid enough but needed to work with smaller guys and just straight brawls. Too Cool didn't get the run they should've, honestly. You go through 2000 there were a lot of teams that could've at least gotten slotted into multi-man stuff. I'll maintain that after the HHH match that Kaientai could've been rehabbed just enough to be legit for a few months. It just got crazy stale for me having the same three teams over and over, as good as they were. Little variety would've been nice, not to hold the belts but to at least make it feel like less of a logjam.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Every time the APA got a title shot the matches seemed to suck. RR 2000 v Outlaws was horrible even with how short it was. And they weren't really that over until they started doing the vignettes

Valeyard

Reaction score
To be fair the Outlaws are the Outlaws.

Lazgistics Supervisor

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
And the Outlaws had fun matches with LOD a couple years prior.

Bear in mind that the best Acolytes/APA match was the Barroom Invitational at Vengeance '03.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I'd put the X-Pac and Kane matches over the brawl.

The Outlaws just weren't that good and just didn't fit anywhere after the DX split in '99. I seriously don't remember any worthwhile matches they had with LOD, just LOD being pathetic. Take dumpsters away and the Outlaws were just there.

Valeyard

Reaction score
They could have turned it all around at so many points and made it better. Never perfect but just better than we got.

Valeyard

Reaction score
If you just have Austin out for himself it could've made everything better. Hates WCW because WCW, hates Vince for making him into a joke, and still obsessed with holding onto the title. It would have brought back everything good about Austin while using the best parts of the heel turn. Booker should've dumped the belt in the trash anyway.

If you HAD to turn someone it should've been Jericho.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah it could have been helped by keeping ECW and WCW separated. Yeah, I know they combined WCW and ECW because they felt the WCW side was weak but you know what? They could have actually taken a lesson from '00-'01 WCW by building up the Natural Born Thrillers. But this is all pipe dream fantasy booking since they didn't even want to put over the actual main eventers they had let alone some midcarders from the era only me and @Laz cared about.

Valeyard

Reaction score
The ECW part would have worked better if it happened a month later than it did and give Heyman people to root for. Heyman cheering WCW in any form or fashion is wrong. ECW as a standalone group would've gotten more over no matter what they did just by RVD and to a lesser extent Rhino. Summerslam with Austin/Booker, Rock/RVD, and Angle/Jericho would've ruled almost as much as what we got. Say what you want about the booking but the ppvs were by and large awesome.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
The ECW part would have worked better if it happened a month later than it did and give Heyman people to root for. Heyman cheering WCW in any form or fashion is wrong. ECW as a standalone group would've gotten more over no matter what they did just by RVD and to a lesser extent Rhino. Summerslam with Austin/Booker, Rock/RVD, and Angle/Jericho would've ruled almost as much as what we got. Say what you want about the booking but the ppvs were by and large awesome.
Idk, summerslam was good but unforgiven, no mercy and invasion were all mediocre iirc.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Idk, summerslam was good but unforgiven, no mercy and invasion were all mediocre iirc.
No Mercy is a good show imo. Rock/Jericho is great, Austin/Angle/RVD is very good, and Edge/Christian is good but a tad disappointing. The rest of the show isn't bad either. Kane vs Test is surprisingly solid. Kane had his working boots on and moved really fast. Test works hard too and they have a good hoss battle. The opener with The Hardys vs Storm/Hurricane is fun as well. The only real slog on the show is a fairly dull Taker/Booker match.