Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The Attitude Era Thread Vol 1

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Brian Christopher is just a sad case of being wrong person in wrong place at wrong time. If he's born 10 years earlier or later, I think he'd have been a star in some national promotion.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I hate Disco but I won't lie: he and Road Dogg would've clicked way better than Road Dogg and Billy Gunn. Zero offense to Assman.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
They did do it in 2003 TNA kind of and it was not great but they had developed more bad habits by then. I feel like Disco and Dogg would have worked in ‘97.

Disco is enough of a goof that he might have made Rockabilly work. A few years later, Billy Gunn might have been actually able to pull it off but ‘97 Billy Gunn was way too stiff.

Valeyard

Reaction score
'97-98 would've worked perfectly. The TNA stuff was just so TNA. Dogg never recovered from Billy getting hurt in 2000.

Billy Gunn hate is funny to me because I totally get, understand, and even think he deserved the hard push...two years earlier, with Sunny. That 1999 run was doomed.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I really thought the Smoking Gunns Explode feud would be a lot bigger than pre show fodder. But that’s a topic for the New Generation Era thread.

Valeyard

Reaction score
1999 Billy would have had a better chance as a face. He was doing pretty well before he and Road Dogg swapped feuds for no reason. He and Val seemed destined for a prolonged feud based on just douchebag charisma, and Shamrock murdering both any time he wanted, should have gotten a real chance.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Disco and Jesse James feels too jokey, but Disco playing a goof/lackey for so long in WCW has tainted the jury. I recall The Dames putting over the Glen Gilberti TNA push in his reviews.
--
Had Sunny not fired the Gunns at Mind Games and instead stayed on with Billy as his fuck toy to give him some heat, the Gunn feud may have gone better. I guess they wanted Sunny and Ron Simmons to get interracial heat like it was 1972 or something.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
I always thought it was odd that Sunny wasn't a manager of anyone from September of 96 until the new LOD in 98. Was there a reason for this? It seems like she would've been a great way to get someone over, and by 97 WWF was really pushing T&A so it would've been a perfect fit.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I wonder if (and am half assumign that) Sunny's absence from managing in '97 was due to her wanting to spend less time on the road.

And weirdly, I'm having a hard time thinking of who she would've been a good manager to in '97.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
DOA. Put Sunny in biker chick gear and print them checks.
I wonder if (and am half assumign that) Sunny's absence from managing in '97 was due to her wanting to spend less time on the road.

And weirdly, I'm having a hard time thinking of who she would've been a good manager to in '97.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm sure she would have made things marginally better but I'm not sure if even Sunny deserved to be involved in the Worst Feud of the Attitude Era.
I guess it kind of works if tied into the LOD/DOA feud.

===

The idea behind my new character was going to be something like… did you ever see Saturday Night Live with Dan Aykroyd and he is doing the basimatic? That was going to be my character. Part of it was for me to go down and to collect the Basketball and the deer head, and all that other b**lls–t. We were going to do an auction site to boot and I was going to be the host of this auction site. We would sell all that stuff towards an auction and it was just going to be part of the show and another way to drive people to WWF.com. In that, I was going to become a heel character to be in charge of DTK Enterprises, which was Doink the Clown. Get it? You spell Clown with a ‘K’. Black hair, black mustache and goatee and everything.

I'm not sure how Bruce Prichard as heel Don West works with Doink, but ok!

Valeyard

Reaction score
Sunny could have worked with Pillman, maybe. Hart Foundation Sunny.

Maybe haver her pursue Rock who is a super good guy and doesn't want an evil golddigging manager so she spends spring hiring random guys to take the belt off him.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Sunny could have worked with Pillman, maybe. Hart Foundation Sunny.

Maybe haver her pursue Rock who is a super good guy and doesn't want an evil golddigging manager so she spends spring hiring random guys to take the belt off him.

3386c-1535271531-800.jpg

Valeyard

Reaction score
Money. Blow it off at Mania and then make her the Canadian traitor and manage everyone but Bret so it doesn't look like they're fucking while on TV. I just love her being such a gold digger she would turn on her own country.

Also am I the only one who never liked Rock's boots?

Sex Machine Gun

Kotzenjunge
Reaction score
So he waited until he was... Lo Down?

How long did they have the Indian gimmick with Tiger Ali Singh anyway? Hell, just *that* guy is a weird, persistently present character who was always just kinda lingering around for that whole era just about.

Valeyard

Reaction score
There was one Raw where Lo Down got to look look like competition against the Hardys and then nothing came of it. Didn't care that it was Chaz and D-Lo in track pants, the tag division got mad stale by the end of 2000 and I wanted something new.

Lazgistics Supervisor

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Lo Down between their debut as a team and being paired with Singh were one of the hottest teams in the company. I still think Mosh/Chaz Warrington could've been given a better shot at some point.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
So on the left side of Iron Mike I spot Patterson, Briscoe, Garea, and Slaughter. Who are the two gentlemen to his right?

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Blackjack Lanza and I believe that's Arnold Skaaland (who I thought was written off TV forever after Backlund put him in the Chicken Wing a few weeks after he "snapped" and turned heel)

Valeyard

Reaction score
The APA not getting to kill them some Hardys in some kind of ladder match bugged me. I would have 100% bought Faarooq and Bradshaw filling a Dudley spot once in a while.

Lazgistics Supervisor

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
It happened a few times in late 1999. There's a reason they generally stuck with the three teams they did for the bigger stages.