Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The Attitude Era Thread Vol 1

Epic for the Summer

Epic Reine
Reaction score
What other 80s guys got shots in the 90s and 2000s? Earthquake worked a few dark matches in 2001 and I read the other day the Nasty Boys got a dark match in 2007 against Drew McIntyre and Dave Taylor. They worked stiff and didn't go home on their cue so they were never brought back again.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
What other 80s guys got shots in the 90s and 2000s? Earthquake worked a few dark matches in 2001 and I read the other day the Nasty Boys got a dark match in 2007 against Drew McIntyre and Dave Taylor. They worked stiff and didn't go home on their cue so they were never brought back again.
The TV taping dark matches are uber fascinating to me for the 90s. Paul Roma is one 80s guy who got a try out in the later 90s. Tenta had a tryout the same time as OMG, but Big John was able to become Golga.

Roadblock with the Genius as a manager!
Giant Haystacks got a tryout? I guess I forgot that. (Reading further it seems it was probably a southern indy fattie)
Rip Morgan and Jack Victory had the size, but I can't picture them in the WWF.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Gang was probably up for the Golga gig. That said, I didn't consider how much the Corporate Twin Towers could've added to the show until now.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Gang was probably up for the Golga gig. That said, I didn't consider how much the Corporate Twin Towers could've added to the show until now.
Makes sense as John Tenta had a few dark matches immediately after OMG's appearance.

3/2/1998: Pierre Oulette defeated Mike Drose (Duke Drose). I wonder if Duke came back if he'd have been thrown into a completely different gimmick.
4/13/1998: Ace Darling & Devon Storm defeated the Misfits. I remember Ace Darling being a hot Indy name by the early 2000s. I think he'd have been an interesting lower card/mid-card addition at the time.
6/29/1998: Rhino Richards defeated Breyer Wellington. I know Rhyno appeared on TV a few times but I wonder if this is partly what got Heyman's attention on him.
7/28/1998: Minoru Tanaka defeated Christopher Daniels. Somewhere @cobainwasmurdered creamed at this match up.

Epic for the Summer

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Yeah I remember Lothario randomly returning and wondered what happened to him at the time as he was off TV for like two years at that point. I don't think he was written off. Just stopped appearing with Shawn.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Rumble 97 was his last shot. Shawn never wanted him around anyway.

Interesting to see they were booking Sid and Bret vs Shawn and Austin tags in the house shows before Shawn "lost his smile".
Austin was still a heel so that makes for some wild booking for the time.
Bret was pinning Shawn for a finish after Austin "accidentally" hit HBK with a stunner. I'm sure that thrilled Shawn.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I thought Lothario was having money problems and HBK wanted to give his trainer a payday?

Then the match happened, Michaels won, and he ordered the match referee to get Jose Lothario out of his ring. That actually happened. Even before this WrestleMania-worthy moment, it was apparent that Michaels did not want his trainer as his on-screen manager. Lothario himself was not keen on the idea, but McMahon wanted it, and so he got it
Here to shed some light is Bruce Prichard.

According to the long-time WWE employee, it was WWE's way to give back to Lothario for training Michaels and bringing him to the sport. He also added that Lothario was a big star and his inclusion added a bit more spark to the building WrestleMania feud with Bret Hart. That said, Prichard did not reveal the reasons to why the angle continued post-WrestleMania and lasted for such a long time, with no major takeaway at the end.

Jim Cornette has claimed that Jose Lothario was mistreated by his own pupil backstage and Michaels did not want him around at all. According to another rumor, Prichard claimed that Lothario was working behind Michaels’ back. Who knows what happened backstage but the on-screen partnership was just not good.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Brody centric: WWF ran Raw in Green Bay in 96 (I was there) and 97 (Ma said no for reasons I can't recall and I had a rage meltdown beyond my almost 15 years of age)... and both years had a Undertaker vs Mankind dark match. You'd think they'd change it up just because.

Ma promised we'd get tickets early for the next time, but with the WWF being hot I don't think they came back until 2001ish.
WCW had a Green Bay house show I can't recall even seeing ads for in the later 90s. I attended a WCW Sat Night TV taping in early 97ish after I won free tickets from the local Polka station.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
McMahon really proved that old Jesse Ventura adage, "sometimes it's better to be lucky than good."