Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The Metal Thread - Version 2

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score

Only in BRANDON'S AMERICA.
I listened to it, and I have the same feeling about the album I did for "Hardwired" and "Death Magnetic": it's fine. Nothing in it is bad per se, and there's some good songs, but at the end of the day it's rather by the numbers, which is what I expect at this point. Also, it doesn't need to be as long as it is, which could be said about them ever since "Load".

Lazgistics Supervisor

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Hot take: Covenant is in the bottom tier of Morbid Angel albums, and Heretic would be looked at more fondly if the production wasn't so drowned.

So I'm getting the itch to play again, and the missus has given me her blessing to start up now that junior is a little older. I just really wish all the local "metal" musicians weren't either a) delusional with this being a career option, or b) not 15 years younger/older than me.

A) Guys, the only metal band to make any sort of waves from here has been Inferi, and that's cutting them some real slack. A very fun band, like a way more technical TBDM, but that's it. Scale it down a bit.

B) Seriously. The only folks looking to make anything but third tier clones of early 00s metalcore or Nightwish copies (let alone the folks that think Breaking Benjamin play metal) are either pushing retirement or freshly dropped out of college.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I'm finally reading Rob Halford's memoir from 2020 and he's not a fan of Point of Entry. I think he's too hard on that record. It's actually pretty decent (though a far cry from Priest's best work).

Hot take(s): Painkiller is the best Priest record and Turbo > Ram It Down.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I hate everything about Tim Owens. Glad he got to live out his dreams but everything else, meh.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I was reeling from Epic’s random virulent hatred of Ripper Owens then Laz knocked me over with a ghost pepper hot take!

Lazgistics Supervisor

Reaction score
What I've been digging lately:
-No Return's Contamination Rises (death/thrash, this one's more grind than their other stuff)
-Onward's Forevermore (trad/power, haven't listened to them since high school)
-Mortal Decay's Forensic (brutal/tech death, exactly the kind of shit I've been high on for the last decade)
-Hate Eternal's King of All Kings (how this band isn't considered tech or brutal death is beyond me, but HAIL THE RUTAN)
-Resistant Culture's All One Struggle (Native grind that makes excellent use of indigenous chants and instruments)

Lazgistics Supervisor

Reaction score
New Suffocation single is out. It's like a quick rundown of the entirety of death metal as a genre in just 4 minutes, starting with some classic thrash riffage before going into the legendary rhythmic brutality that Suffo became known for, then devolving into some chunky breakdowns before finishing with some of the ambient flare that's been everywhere for the past decade.

I love it. Ricky Meyers is the perfect choice to replace Frank Mullen, and his vocals here are like a blend of Mullen's and Ricky's gutturals from the Disgorge classics.

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score
New Suffocation single is out. It's like a quick rundown of the entirety of death metal as a genre in just 4 minutes, starting with some classic thrash riffage before going into the legendary rhythmic brutality that Suffo became known for, then devolving into some chunky breakdowns before finishing with some of the ambient flare that's been everywhere for the past decade.

I love it. Ricky Meyers is the perfect choice to replace Frank Mullen, and his vocals here are like a blend of Mullen's and Ricky's gutturals from the Disgorge classics.

Yeah, this is great. Best they've sounded since "Souls to Deny".

The new Dying Fetus album rules, and Cryptopsy have a new album album out. It's...better than their last two albums (being better than "The Unspoken King" isn't a huge accomplishment TBH), but the production really hurts it IMO.

New Tomb Mold out on Friday-shit this has been a great year for Death Metal.

Last edited:

Lazgistics Supervisor

Reaction score
The Souls to Deny comparison is a good one, because I think this is the best single since "Surgery of Impalement."

The new Dying Fetus is solid, but I've had the same problems since Reign Supreme with their production. I know everybody uses plug-ins these days, and DF always sounded like they used solid state amps anyway, but the guitar tone strikes me as too digital. It's still solid, but I think the last DF release I really loved was Descend Into Depravity.

Recently listens:
-Kamikaze Zombie - The Destroyer of All Things
Thrashcore in the vein of Ringworm. Catchy, quick, and dripping with horror goodness.

-Gross Reality - Return to Ruin
Thrash in the vein of Demolition Hammer and a hint of classic Solstice.

-Extreme Noise Terror - Peel Sessions
Now THIS is the kinda grind I love. Why it took me so long to check ENT out is beyond my comprehension.

-Brutal Truth - Extreme Conditions Demand Extreme Responses
I haven't listened to them in years, and never with a particularly attentive ear, but see above and multiply it by 10.

-Celestial Sanctuary - Insatiable Thirst for Torment
Solid as hell death metal. Reminds me of Broken Hope's Assimilated and Mutilated in a sense, but less NYDM and more Bolt Thrower (yet not actively boring like BT).

Last edited:

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
His tenure in Priest was the lowest in band history. Gary Cherone didn't get in with Van Halen and this doofus didn't need to go in with JP.

Lazgistics Supervisor

Reaction score

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score
I am now the proud owner of vinyl of the first three Atheist albums. These guys and Death got me into Death Metal in the first place, so it feels good to own them (I also own "Human", "Individual Thought Patterns" and "Sound of Perseverance" on vinyl)

Last edited: