Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Vintage Independent Wrestling Thread: Discuss the Stars of Today Yesterday When They Were Stars of Tomorrow

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
If we're going by figures I'm 99% sure ROH outdrew TNA basically every time because TNA did so many shows without charging people during the first five years and even then they didn't run house shows terribly long. TNA no doubt trounced them with merch because of the Don West machine.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
ROH and Impact were neck and neck and I think ROH was ahead at times during the doldrums of TNA/Impact’s popularity in the mid 2010s.

When the Broken Hardys feuded with The Young Bucks, they showed up in ROH but Young Bucks didn’t show up in Impact (despite Matt Hardy constantly making jokes about them).

Valeyard

Reaction score
Omega killing Swann and then losing the title to Christian was really bad. TNA got no wins while TK cut bad promos on how shitty they were.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Brod brought up Jesse Hennig a little while back.

In retrospect, wearing his brother’s tights seemed to invite negative comparisons. Also he should have gotten a damn haircut. He looks like the Mr. Perfect you ordered on Wish.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Also I thought his career was a lot earlier than it was. His Cagematch profile exists entirely during Mr. Perfect’s second retirement in the mid ‘90s. If he was anything close to passable, someone would have given him a shot at least mid card filler. WWF and WCW were loading up their rosters and I’m sure replacement level Mr. Perfect would have gotten a shot somewhere.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6

I would have been in high school yet, but apparently I could have seen George Steele's last match on record. (Per Wrestlingdata)

I went to plenty of ACW shows in the early 2000s. I was actually just talking to the promoter on FB last night about how they booked Honky Tonk in GB a couple years after this and yet I don't believe I went. Best guess I have is we went to the Dells or something that weekend. The shows used to run a few blocks from my buddies house.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Matt Taven stupidly did a dive on at a show that Animal did a guest manager spot on sometime in the early 2010s. I remember that was the first time I hated Matt Taven but once again, @Laz was probably there before me.

Lazgistics Supervisor

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
I literally signal the pushes of QT Marshall and Matt Taven as when ROH ceased to be relevant. Apparently, the general indie audience agreed with me.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Damn. If we didn’t get a Jake Roberts Vs Christopher Daniels match out of that…Clash of the two wrestlers falsely rumored to be The Higher Power in the Summer of ‘99!

Valeyard

Reaction score
Even when they're old they still look more intimidating than their relatives.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Idk how many underaged kids worked New England indies scene of the ‘00s until I was much older. If I had any semblance of athleticism, I could have worked a few matches and maybe been squashed by Rick Fuller, @Laz

RIP Kid Crazy. Long live the EWA!

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6

Johnathan Vargas walked so Tony Khan could run.

I guess we can be thankful he didn't hire Vince Russo to book this.

I feel I've talked of this in the semi recent past.
I'm pretty sure I mentioned how I have memory pegged this as taking place during the later Attitude Boom era and not 2009.

Why the hell did my local station air this in 2009?

Lazgistics Supervisor

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
It would've been interesting to see how it went if it lasted longer, that's for sure. I don't think it would've lasted particularly long, because I see Crockett and Heyman butting heads far too often, but interesting for sure.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Those had the HD shows. I can't think of anything else about it.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Somehow it evolved into that NWA Texas promotion with Kevin Von Erich and Skandar Akbar as friends and Greg Valentine and a young Ahmed Johnson on top.