Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Wrestling audio or podcasts

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Eh... I don’t know if you can count me. I was never a big Tough Enough guy. I did watch this season and I can’t imagine this podcast having any interesting stories.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Brian Last bought Kayfabe Memories. If he doesn't lose interest, this could be great for historians. The site was doing massive territory coverage in long form articles a decade + ago. The articles can be great sources of info, but they aren't organized by titles or anything, so like in a section it will just be Florida 1-34 and you'd have to guess where to find the write up on Dusty vs Kabuki or whatever. Hopefully Last finds some people who can return this to glory. KM wasn't a paid gig IIRC.
I think they even had Useless Moron Scott Keith reviews of old stuff up for a while.

The message board itself vanished a year or 2 ago for a good while, but it returned and still has old farts talking wrasslin' on it.

At it's peak, George Steele, Buddy Rose, Gary Hart, Akbar and others were commenting. Not sure if any old workers bother anymore, at least those who were above jabroni status. Last can start a "Jerry Grey" forum. Rose actually had 2 or 3 accounts and would troll. Steele quit after Mrs Elizabeth died and he commented about people needing to find God, which got a mod to reply that religion was not allowed to be talked about.

While expanding his podcasts, Last sunk his own baby, the 605, with LONG breaks in between shows and chasing off several contributors with his attitude. Its a miracle he and Corny haven't exploded yet as both have the rep of scorched earth asshole behavior,

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Do you think Last was always an a-hole or was it just from working with Corny too much?

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Only Last hosted podcast I listen to is John Arezzi's, where he's a good natured, friendly sidekick but it is kind of a person being overtly courteous and respectful to their friend's parent type energy.

I'm very excited to see what he does with Kayfabe Memories. Board has been a shell of itself for years and if nothing else, Last seems like a great curator of old school content. I might sign up to yell at Brody and New England MAN John McAdam.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I've been listening to a bunch of Grilling JR and I guess I like it much more than a lot of other fans. I think once you get used to the fact that JR is basically Hank Hill right down to having the same exact cadence when he's angry, it makes the entire thing more entertaining and humorous to me. Conrad is probably the best he is on any of his shows since he clearly respects JR and doesn't bicker with him or shoehorn in unfunny Bubba The Love Sponge shock jock esque humor like he does on What Happens When. Ross doesn't really even bother me that much, although I understand why his grumpiness rubs so many people the wrong way. I find him arguing with imaginary people weirdly amusing. The guy has been through some serious shit though and wrestling fans (well the ones on the threads on Squared Circle I'm reading about the podcast) seem less empathetic to him compared to other legends because he will be critical of current wrestling. He also has a great memory and is so much more honest than a lot of his contemporaries.

The amount of commercials are absurd though and have ruined some episodes like Survivor Series 95. JR had a bad experience at the airport right before recording that episode and was extra grumpy. So it was just JR bitching about something for 5 minutes than a Dick Pill or Mortgage ad then more bitching, then another ad and rinse repeat. He barely talked about that show.

I might try Bischoff's soon, because I've been dipping my toe into getting back into rasslin podcasts, but we will see. I heard Arn's is a snooze though so I might not try that one.

Last edited:

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
JR’s is my favorite now too. I waver back and forth between that and Bischoff. When Bischoff is engaged and expounding on some weird subtopic, I think it is great. I do think he does have a really unique vision of how the business works. I also think him and Conrad have best dynamic and it seems like he’s the one that Conrad is willing to push back and forth with. However, I feel like he gets triggered way too easily (which makes that last attribute also a detriment) and his anti Meltzer diatribes are even worse than Bruce’s, which is saying a lot.

Speaking of Bruce, I listened to a recent STWW for the first time in a long time and they just need to take that show out to the back of the shed and put it out of its misery. Bruce is just audibly incredibly burned out and going through the motions and Conrad seems tired of putting up with it. Fact that last two episodes were remasters of old episodes (and we have gotten so many repeats and retreads past year) makes me feel that I might get my wish soon.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6

I am baffled by this set up. I watch no view Youtube toy channels who do this livestreaming thing with people across the world and it doesn't look like this garbage. We know Bruce alone was generating 6 figures for his pod, so money isn't the issue.

Conrad the Friendly Ghost and his friend JR Headroom.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
Speaking of Bruce, I listened to a recent STWW for the first time in a long time and they just need to take that show out to the back of the shed and put it out of its misery. Bruce is just audibly incredibly burned out and going through the motions and Conrad seems tired of putting up with it. Fact that last two episodes were remasters of old episodes (and we have gotten so many repeats and retreads past year) makes me feel that I might get my wish soon.
I tried listening to the episode on the '91 Rumble. After a few minutes of listening to them argue whether or not the Gulf War had started by the time of the event, where Conrad pointed out that the US started bombing Iraq on January 16th and the Rumble was on January 19th and Bruce was like "NO IT WASN'T," I had to turn it off. He's an absolute dipshit and not even an entertaining one.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah. I've noticed Conrad getting more and more basic wrestling knowledge wrong too. He's almost Feinstein like in his ineptitude and glossing over lately.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I listened to a Bischoff (Clash 23) and I liked it. For all his faults, bullshit, and lies Easy E is a charismatic bastard and engaging to listen to. I'm gonna check out more.

I never cared for the Bruce one. I don't find him that entertaining or funny and there are better nostalgic options that appeal to me.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
For Bischoff podcasts, I would stick to pre Monday Night Wars and TNA episodes. I feel like he better shows off his knowledge on eras when he had less emotional investment in. It seems like having the greatest roster ever assembled and gradually letting the inmates take over the asylum and blowing it still irks his craw. Recent episodes on '01 WCW shows are fascinating too because of how little knowledge he had on the product and it really made me question the whole nature of the Fusient deal.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I haven’t listened to Bisch in forever and I think the only Bruce I’ve listened to in recent months was one of the more recent Ask Bruce Anything because you can always count on the awkward question about Batista’s dick. Bisch was fun at first but I grew tired of him fastest. It does sound like it has gotten better.

Conrad had some sequence of events or something screwed up on a recent JR episode, I want to say it was the No Way Out 2001 episode. I know my weird extensive knowledge on some of that stuff is beyond what a lot of fans care about but it is always something that sticks out to me when I hear something wrong. I wish I could remember what it was. Now Bruce arguing with him on indisputable dates is an entirely different beast.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Prichard was embarrassing himself on the RR 91 show. Conrad was clearly trying to get him to admit that they were exploiting the war and really turned up the Iraqi stuff post war but Prichard had to play stupid. Couldn't listen to the rest after that really.

But I did find out from that show that Sam Houston had a run in 91 where he only worked house shows and dark matches. Never knew that before.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Okay, I'm listening to Bischoff on The Last Nitro and he just said that the DVD Market was dying in 2001!?!
At this point, not only do you have to deal with them being colossal egomaniacs and masters of manipulation but now Prichard & Bischoff are old and experiencing general memory decline (although ageist Kamala will point out that plenty podcast hosts my age just straight up remember things wrong too). Combine that with Conrad overworking himself and not doing research as well as he used to and you got some tough listens.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I haven't listened to that but maybe he meant VHS?
Conrad was asking Bischoff why Fusient wasn't going to do anything with the WCW tape library if they bought the company and Bischoff said "The DVD market was slowly dying even back then". DVD market didn't start dying until the rise of streaming.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah I’ve heard Bischoff claim that the DVD market was drying up when Conrad has asked him about why WCW didn’t have strong home video presence in ‘00-‘01 multiple times.

It’s bizarre since that’s the opposite of truth. Unless he is confusing ‘01 for 2011. DVD market was headed into a boom in the early ‘00s. Not saying that a better presence would have saved WCW but it couldn’t have hurt. DVDs did a lot to maintain whatever relevancy WWE had left in the ‘00s and were responsible for the ‘00s Indy boom.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
JR recapping WrestleMania XXVII this week sounds oddly interesting. At very least, me and @Brocklock will be amused to hear JR pronounce "Snookie" one last time. Looking forward to him getting red assed about the Michael Cole angle too.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Started it up and JR has the right to be bitter as fuck about that era of his career. He mentioned that when Cole threw the BBQ sauce in his eyes that they didn't tell him it was going to happen. Just so much of that creepy Vince hard on for humiliating him in that era. I don't blame JR for being pissy a lot of the time dealing with shit like that.

Last edited:

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
From reading JR's second book, it seems like Vince was trying to get him to quit from 2003 till like 2011-12ish. It's too bad he never said fuck it and decided to go to TNA cause I think even a somewhat passed his prime, mid '00s and on JR would have helped their product a lot in several capacities. However, he never went to Nashville cause he wanted full on creative control and to overhaul the product which IDK how that would've turned out.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
If horny old JR isn't just a gimmick you would've had lots of women's gimmick matches.

Tino Standard

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I’ve still got about 20 minutes to go, but this week’s Sports Media Podcast with Richard Deitsch and Paul Heyman is really, really good.