Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Wrestling audio or podcasts

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Give us a breakdown @King Kamala . Saw the clip at one of those Twitters we apparently hate here for reasons where he said he went to WCW independent of Russo being hired, complete w/ some gentle Meltz bashing.

----
Strongbow told me the interview in June is part of some sort of convention he's attending. The conversation veered into talking about Scott Casey and Buddy Rose, payoffs at MSG and cocaine.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Conrad dropped a new Ric Flair interview last week (on the Jarrett feed) where Flair starting talking about the night Booker won the world title from Jarrett after Hogan had beaten Jarrett for the title via JJ laying down. Flair started going into a backstage story and Conrad EDITED it out and came back to he and Ric talking about how that story isn't out and maybe shouldn't be. My inner nerd cried.

Flair also gives a heart breaking update on Mongo, teases a story on Piper infidelities that he won't tell until Kitty (Piper's wife dies), Bret Hart being bitter, etc etc

The Darkside of the Ring podcast was also moved to the My World feed, if some of you are like me and failed to find it last week.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
teases a story on Piper infidelities that he won't tell until Kitty (Piper's wife dies),
Like Flair is going to live Piper's widow...

Jeff Jarrett's podcast today is on Owen Hart and according to the people who have already listened to it on AFS, it's a really emotional doozy. Basically, Double J says that he spent the rest of his career with PTSD from having to wrestle in the ring his BF died in like five minutes before. :(

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I liked the ad for Double J's podcast with a moody slowed down version of "My World".

"Is Jeff Jarrett terrible or secretly really good?" is one of the contentious IWC debates that I'll never tire of for some reason!

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I liked the ad for Double J's podcast with a moody slowed down version of "My World".

"Is Jeff Jarrett terrible or secretly really good?" is one of the contentious IWC debates that I'll never tire of for some reason!
Conrad's watching those D/L numbers and sees me hitting JR and Eric's pod most week's. How he direct marketed right into my truck's speaker is beyond me.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Kurt Angle's podcast with Conrad already seems semi-forgotten. Which I guess isn't the first time Jeff Jarrett stole someone's attention from Angle.

(cue Jeff Jarrett strutting gif)

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Kurt Angle's podcast with Conrad already seems semi-forgotten. Which I guess isn't the first time Jeff Jarrett stole someone's attention from Angle.

(cue Jeff Jarrett strutting gif)
They are definitely reshuffling the decks, which makes the mainstream ad buys intriguing. Arn is moving to 605 AM Saturdays to talk about his days before JCP....which I thought he covered in his first or 2nd pod as I gave him a shot. I guess this is going more in depth. You can sort of read between the lines and see Arn's numbers must be poor as he is getting a new day and format. Arn talking 2005 John Cena matches weren't bringing'em in.
Tony is doing 1986 JCP week by week, which may have hooked me if its more than Conrad making dick jokes over everything Tony says. I haven't listened in quite a while, so I am not sure they improved. Had I known of the new format 4 months ago, I'd probably have tried to play catch up.
Angle and Conrad interviewed Randy Orton last week which Conrad keeps pointing out is not what his shows are about.
JJ has done a good job on his twitter teases for his 3 eps but I haven't listened yet. Owen is likely to get my ears at some point. His other 2 WWF ones....meh....
Easy E is going deep diving on the nWo for the rest of the year it sounds like, which may grow old fast. I do enjoy Eric's wordy answers and inside baseball on the entertainment industry.
Red Ass JR is good some weeks.
Bruce has been AWOL most of the year as Vince has him working 25/8.

Adfreeshows patreon is pulling in a minimum of 35 grand a month based on the numbers, so the boys are getting at least a little scratch.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Eric Bischoff seems to be doing more AMA shows lately too, which is annoying. Him and Conrad seem more cognizant of the fact that people are very annoyed by Bischoff's Meltzer meltdowns but they're also aware there's a vocal fanbase of trolls that love to hate Meltz.

I never listened to Arn but previous format seemed awful. Who the hell wants to hear Arn talk about '00s-'10s WWE shows? And I say that as someone who usually likes the other shows episodes on less heralded eras. I like obscure topics but you don't build show around them. That's like if Bischoff talked about his TNA stint most of the time or JR & Bruce mostly talked about---'00s and '10s WWE shows!

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I realized Double J's pod drops the same day as Corny's so he's likely never winning priority. I did download the Owen episode but have several others to plow through before I get to it. Peter Winson > Double J.

Doing a WWA episode after a national ad buy seems like no buys. WWA is shit dummies like me care about and every one else will be "huh?"

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I finally listened to the first episode yesterday actually. It's refreshing to have a Conrad co-host who is actually jovial and even Conrad sounds like he has a pep in his step from working with someone who actually wants to be there. Jeff Jarrett's definitely as much of a carny as the other co-hosts (and Conrad) but his friendlier tone definitely makes him stand out.

THE JEFF JARRETT PODCAST MIGHT ACTUALLY BE GOOD, PEOPLE!!!

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think I'm gonna listen to an episode and I'll report my hearings.

I've still been listening to JR rant at Invisible Twitter Accounts.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Idk why grouchy JR is so much more appealing to us than the other hosts being podcasts. My guess is it's because Bruce is grouchy and flippant because he gets his ass chewed out 80+ hours a week by a senile old man and Bischoff is grouchy cause CONTROVERSY CREATES CASH while JR is just a naturally cantankerous old man. JR's podcast is probably thing I've liked him most in past 15 years or so.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I finally listened to the first episode yesterday actually. It's refreshing to have a Conrad co-host who is actually jovial and even Conrad sounds like he has a pep in his step from working with someone who actually wants to be there. Jeff Jarrett's definitely as much of a carny as the other co-hosts (and Conrad) but his friendlier tone definitely makes him stand out.

THE JEFF JARRETT PODCAST MIGHT ACTUALLY BE GOOD, PEOPLE!!!
That "aw shucks" tone he learned from Roy Lee Welch announcing to the boys that the box office was robbed and so no pay offs tonight.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
STWW returning today for a Steve Williams episode seems odd. Now they've definitely done episodes on wrestlers with shorter WWF runs/less interaction with Bruce than Dr. Death but now that they're only doing 2 shows a month, it seems like an odd one to come back to.

Fake edit- I forgot Bruce had done a bit of stuff for Watts pre WWF and would've interacted with Dr. Death there but my point still stands. I'm guessing they were like "Fuck it! We can squeeze in an episode with Bruce's schedule but it needs to be a dude Conrad already has notes on for one of his other podcasts!"

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Last edited:

Tino Standard

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Listening to a STWW “remix” episode with stuff originally recorded about three years ago, and it’s really noticeable how much sharper and engaged Prichard sounds. That WWE life really is a grind.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Think @Brocklock and @The Art of Postin' will be psyched that Grillin' JR today is on Lex Luger 1987 to 1992.

Although now that I think of it. I feel like Lex Luger is a big enough star (and interesting enough personality out of the ring) that he deserves the year by year breakdown that main eventers like Hogan and Cena get for these podcasts. Maybe not for every year of his career but I feel like there are some years in TP's run worthy of an entire two hour episode. OOOOOOF!!!

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
A few weeks late but the Jeff Jarrett podcast episode on Owen Hart may have been the best thing that Conrad has ever done.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
VINTAGE triple post.

Cause for concern cause now it looks like they're doing REWIND/Remastered episodes of Bischoff's podcasts too. I think it's only a matter of time before JR and Tony are like "Hey! WTH? We actually still work in wrestling. We should get weeks off too."

Has anyone heard Angle's podcast and have thoughts on it? Fact that they're approximately half the length of a normal Conrad pod (or three quarters the length of burnt out Bruce era STWW) is probably greatest allure and deterrent to me listening to them. Yesterday's episode on Kurt Angle in WWECW is first time I've been tempted to listen since it debuted.

Also I'm behind on Grillin' JR but I've heard he is comically grumpy about Conrad putting all of his money behind promoting MY WORLD instead of his show, @BruiserBrody and @Brocklock

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
So the new thing for the Thompson podcasts are Conrad stuffing as many 5-15 second Geico ads as possible into the shows. I counted 11 or 12 in the last Arn episode. And that’s after skipping the first 5-6 minutes of the usual stuff and the last 5 or 6 at the end of the show. So that was in about an hour. It’s super obnoxious and just takes me out of the shows when those interruptions hit.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Ian Riccaboni and Cary Silkin’s podcast has a two part interview with Bushwhacker Luke. They do ask why he rubbed Jacques Rougeau’s junk at WrestleMania V. Cc @BruiserBrody

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It seems like Conrad's streamlining concepts for a lot of his podcasts with WHW being recaps of WCW TV 35 years ago OTD, Arn's podcast being a linear audio autobiography, and now 83 Weeks looks like it's turning into recaps of MNW 25 years ago OTD. I get it but the watch along format sucks eggs IMO. Only ones I like are OVPs and that's cause they're generally shows I've seen 1000x and don't need to watch along to mentally picture them.

But hey...STWW this week is on Ahmed Johnson! Can't wait to listen to that.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
Just ran across a clip on youtube from 83 weeks. On it Bischoff talks about the potential deal with NBC that WCW had in early 99.

He mentioned the one major idea that both NBC and WCW agreed upon would've brought about the biggest ratings in WCW history.

"We've had wrestling weddings. But, never a divorce. We were going to have Carmen Electra and Dennis Rodman divorce on NBC"

Damn, we all missed out.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
That's the logic I like. I can see him sitting there, back in 1999, thinking about how WCW would be getting ads during Friends for a show that ends with both Rodman, Carmen, and DDP spraypainted by Hogan.