Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

WWF New Generation Thread III

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
It would've been a lot of fun. More about character work than in-ring stuff, which means Backlund is immediately better off, plus Savage would be in "something to prove" mode. Throw in the inevitable Bret and Savage vs Owen and Backlund matches (or the Bret/Diesel/Savage vs Owen/Backlund/Shawn matches) and it's good times.

And, of course, it frees up Bret for the Owen match that needed to happen.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Watching one of the newly dropped Superstars.
Duke the Dumpster vs TL Hopper
Alex Porteau debuts in a face vs face match vs Horowitz that the Wisconsin crowd slept through.
And Freddie Jo Floyd battled Bradshaw! How could the nWo compete?
Jake the Snake cuts a Jesus heavy promo.
Plus the Body Donnas show their progressive ways with their Transgender valet.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I get how important it is to have that match on Raw, but man I wish they'd saved it for Wrestlemania. That environment, the build, Heenan and Savage both on commentary with the potential of a Roman Flair entrance. It's just so good.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
And Flair was around until late February on the house shows (and couldn’t do anything in WCW IIRC until the late summer). I don’t get why neither party didn’t want to extend the relationship another 5-6 weeks to create some WrestleMania magic on a show mostly devoted of it.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Flair would've been for it, or easily talked into it. Bigger payday to put his friend over with the advantage of being able to play around in Vegas? Seems to like a good deal. Maybe even blade for the hell of it. But there's something just right about Perfect/Flair at WM9 and with JR, Heenan, and Savage in the booth. Show-saver, then you run Perfect/Luger on Raw where it feels like a big deal instead of being a lame match on the biggest show of the year.

Just dawned on me that, if you really wanted, you could book Hogan/Flair at WM9 and it would probably be the perfect place. Let Luger cave in Brutus' face with a forearm twice (once on Raw, once to win a match at WM). Bret/Yoko, Flair/Hogan, and Savage/Shawn save the year.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
666798CA-1140-4483-B4E9-07AF5B048919.jpeg6CD073EF-EEF8-44D2-AA8D-A0DAEA5E81EC.jpeg
That Quebecers EXPLODE match should be on one of the unreleased sets if it isn’t already.

Is there a more competent but unexciting sounding match up from this era than IRS Vs Sparky Plugg?

Valeyard

Reaction score
Did any of the Bret/Anvil singles matches pop up anywhere?

Staff member
Reaction score
Flair would've been for it, or easily talked into it. Bigger payday to put his friend over with the advantage of being able to play around in Vegas? Seems to like a good deal. Maybe even blade for the hell of it. But there's something just right about Perfect/Flair at WM9 and with JR, Heenan, and Savage in the booth. Show-saver, then you run Perfect/Luger on Raw where it feels like a big deal instead of being a lame match on the biggest show of the year.

Just dawned on me that, if you really wanted, you could book Hogan/Flair at WM9 and it would probably be the perfect place. Let Luger cave in Brutus' face with a forearm twice (once on Raw, once to win a match at WM). Bret/Yoko, Flair/Hogan, and Savage/Shawn save the year.
Vince told Flair he was going to be a jabroni mid carder and Ric just wanted to get out of there. Staying until WM wouldn’t serve any purpose because Vince was cutting costs and wouldn’t have paid him shit.

Valeyard

Reaction score
It would've helped everyone. Flair losing on TV in a good matchand being run off is way more damaging than losing at Wrestlemania in a great match. I know the loss on Raw was used against him by whoever was running WCW, if nothing else. Perfect gets a real boost as a face that leads into Luger getting one by association. Show has a match that's good and can be easily sold by everyone involved. It makes sense.

Vince was an idiot.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It would've helped everyone. Flair losing on TV in a good matchand being run off is way more damaging than losing at Wrestlemania in a great match. I know the loss on Raw was used against him by whoever was running WCW, if nothing else. Perfect gets a real boost as a face that leads into Luger getting one by association. Show has a match that's good and can be easily sold by everyone involved. It makes sense.

Vince was an idiot.
I'm still waiting for that Perfect/Lawler WM 9 match I predicted after Lawler cheated to pull him out of the Rumble.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Lawler definitely should've been on the show somewhere. Another Savage match thrown to the wayside.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Vince told Flair he was going to be a jabroni mid carder and Ric just wanted to get out of there. Staying until WM wouldn’t serve any purpose because Vince was cutting costs and wouldn’t have paid him shit.

Another lesson from the daddy-gave-it-to-him school of business.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
While Flair would have inevitably become a midcarder if he had stuck around in the New Generation era, I doubt Vince had that low of an opinion of him. I think Flair really really wanted to go back to WCW more than Vince wanted to get rid of him.

I mean Flair ended his run by being in the first notable match on WWF’s flagship and main eventing a European house show loop back when business was booming over there. While I don’t think he would have gotten another World Title run, it’s not like he would have been putting over Virgil if he hung around.

I imagine Flair having Ted DiBiase’s spot if he hung around until when his WWF contract was supposed to end in September ‘93. Come to think of it, Ric Flair and Razor Ramon Vs Mets Maniacs at WrestleMania IX would have been better than what we got.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Flair working with Made in the USA Lex would have been.... interesting?

As far as payoffs go....Vince's MO was to pay guys a ton on the way out if Nash and others can be believed. Vince didn't want anyone claiming they were fucked.

Flair making Tatanka into his 90s Wahoo could have made for some fun chop fests.

Babyface Razor's made from the streets vs Rich Prick Flair also seems like a natural feud, especially given their 1992 past.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
I think you guys are looking at early 90s WWF with a late 90s TV wrestling mentality. At the time wrestlers made the majority of their money from house shows. Since Flair came in his house show programs had been with Hogan, Piper, Savage, Warrior, Undertaker and Bret, which in every case meant main event payoffs. Now they were telling him he wasn’t going to be in the highest paid spot on the card. Flair-Perfect wasn’t going to be a main event house show program and I don’t know who else there was to work with so it was better to let him go rather than having him bitch about money for two months.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It sounds like I am sucking up to Vince again but seriously, how many guys did Vince let out of their contracts 6+ months early with few caveats like he did for Flair? It’s not like he tossed him aside like Tito Santana.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Flair had options. None as good as top guy but still. He makes Perfect as a face on the way out and it benefits everyone. He stays longer, that's when it gets dicey because all I can think of is taking Dibiase's place in the Razor/Kid story and while it would've been great that is a dramatic step down.