Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

WWF New Generation Thread III

SuperMachine#1

Very Active Poster
Reaction score
Hello longtime reader here on this board first time posting: I was wondering rumors for a Jerry Lawler vs Tenryu match at Wrestlemainia 9 were circulating in the dirt sheets around this time, this seemed like a random ass match to throw on a huge card like Wrestlemainia, And I thought with them brawling after being eliminated Mr.Perfect would end up wrestling Lawler. I guess they always say...Card subject to change.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
I just looked through some Observers from the time and Dave says that Vince held a press conference for Japanese press on 1/26 in Fresno announcing that Tenryu would be at Mania. And he worked the Superstars tapings beating Brooklyn Brawler but it didn't air. I couldn't find any mention in there of a match with Lawler.

Fake edit: It did air but only in Europe I guess

JHawk

Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
Reaction score
I once emailed Dave about why Tenryu didn't show and he basically said the deal fell through.

No clue why Lawler didn't show though. He worked Nashville the day before and Memphis the day after but nothing the day of Mania

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
it’s probably just a creative has nothing for you situation. And tbf, RAW the night after WrestleMania was built around Lawler actually wrestling on WWF TV in a one on one match for the first time.

Granted, the first RAW after WrestleMania was approximately 10,000x less important than it would go on to be but still decent enough consolation. Better than what Bam Bam Bigelow and Kamala got for getting cut off the show.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Dude just said he wanted to see your face and neck smashed in front of his very eyes while full of joy and mirth. I'd spit on him too. Sadist.

Tino Standard

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Was Brian Pillman an angry young man…because Hulk Hogan left wrestling for THIS?

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
tcg07b2fg7201.gif

Valeyard

Reaction score
Is it unfair to say that the two month joshi invasion was the best women's division would be for at least another 20 years?

SuperMachine#1

Very Active Poster
Reaction score
If Vince didn't cut the women's division in 95 I would of loved to see the Jumping Bomb Angels return and wrestle with Kong,Bertha Faye,and Alundra Blaze. The Bomb Angels were way ahead of their time in their initial run in the WWF 87-88. They were exciting and doing moves that this 9 year old kid at the time was impressed with.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Bertha Faye is a name no one mentions when it comes to Vince fucking a talent up when she should be kinda high for the time and reputation.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
You know I thought I could have my name retired. I didn’t even need to play a team sport. I could be just like Billy Joel. Who’d he ever beat?

Valeyard

Reaction score
Wait those were rare tights? I feel like I've seen them a lot. More than the weird orange trimmed ones from Survivor Series '96.

I'll always defend Crush being the guy to slam Yokozuna, too. He could've made that work if only because he was a face already. Never getting a Bret/Luger blowoff still sucks, too. Should've swapped Luger and Bigelow's spots in KOTR at least.