Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

WWF New Generation Thread III

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Like I said, long term. It changed how kayfabe was seen and how booking would change. By derailing HHH's push, it set him on the path he went on that had him be one of the biggest names of the era and wind up with him marrying Steph and currently being the booker of the promotion. Without the curtain being pulled back, the Attitude Era is wildly different if it happens at all. Short term, it didn't have any positives, but in the long term it completely altered the business. We are literally not here now without it.
Paul Heyman was inventing it one way or another.

I'm not sure how much kayfabe was left in the land of wrestling dentists, a clown with a midget, and a zombie fighting his evil twin with special effects.

I respect you bookerman even happened before the curtain call.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Heyman wasn't going to mainstream it, though, and seeing how the events of the curain directly impacted the mainstream business as a whole made it possible to have his style be aped to draw more than ECW was ever worth. That's the thing.

Kayfabe has always been really stupid when you break it down, anyway. Wrestling is like that.

Again Pillman's shit is completely different.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Heyman wasn't going to mainstream it, though, and seeing how the events of the curain directly impacted the mainstream business as a whole made it possible to have his style be aped to draw more than ECW was ever worth. That's the thing.

Kayfabe has always been really stupid when you break it down, anyway. Wrestling is like that.

Again Pillman's shit is completely different.
I think you are highly over valuing a segment that aired when business was months away from coming out of the shitter.

Good day.

Valeyard

Reaction score
It isn't about just when it aired, it's about the actual event happening in the first place and the ripples that came from it. That's the thing.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Curtain Call itself is a very overrated moment in pro wrestling history but its impact on the wrestling industry isn’t overrated, if that makes sense.

It adds the the extra garnish to fully sell the Outsiders jumping to WCW IMO and it also adds a cool backstory to Triple H’s rise. To a casual fan, it means little but to hardcore fans, you can’t really tell any of those four guys’ stories without it.

Sex Machine Gun

Kotzenjunge
Reaction score
I absolutely fucking hate that shit. I didn't see it live as it was when I was *just* getting back into things but fuck you, who thinks that's a tank. It's the "box-like structure" of the Attitude Era, a peak of "don't trust your eyes, accept our words and ours alone" shit. It's like hearing people who grew up only knowing WWE saying "title" instead of "belt" and it drives me nuts.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score

If Watts lasted another 8 months maybe he would have sent Backlund, Brisco and who ever else to beat the piss out of the Kliq in MSG while they were having their bro orgy.

=====
Extra aggravating to think about Vince bowing to Shawn and fucking over Bret a year and half later after Nash and Shawn both bombed out as top guys, and Shawn spent the past 2 years pilled up and refusing to drop titles left and right. Meanwhile, Bret had created the hottest new star WWF had in forever. Hart would have likely made Rock and Shamrock in 98 along the way. But HHH stuck needles in his ass and had nice hair.

Maybe Watts could have gotten the BSK to finally snap and throw Shawn off a bridge.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
First of all, Cornette would never masturbate to the fantasy of howdy doody Bob Backlund being anyone’s heater.

Blackjack? Absolutely but Backlund? Again, get the actual god damn fuck outta here

Valeyard

Reaction score
Watts and Opie Cunningham is the big bang boom period of the 90s.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I want to circle back to this absurdity here because Backlund was 100% content to do comedy spots and jobs because he wanted the easy payoffs.

Why the actual fuck would Backlund give two French fried tittyfucks as Mr Cornette would say about Bill Fucking Watts and his hurt feelings and upset the gravy train he had going.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
You know what, people have been joking about it for years and it's become such a hacky line that I feel almost dumb saying it. But given how much we learned about Vince in the Janel Grant lawsuit and how much of his bizarre sexual pathology involved other men, I do feel some of his attachment to Shawn was psychosexual, and not just in the "Shawn is the ladies' man Vince wishes he was" way. I used to think that his approval of HBK's clandestine relationship with Sunny was due to his worldview that the hot chick should be with a stud and not a midget like Chris Candido. Now I believe deep down he wanted to engage the two of them in a three-way. I think he cut out pictures of dicks and pasted them onto Shawn's Playgirl. I think he got dome from his secretaries with Shawn's Hasbro figure lodged in his ass.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I mean it's a safe bet Shawn got all the Brock perks, maybe worse. It wouldn't shock me in the slightest if Vince wanted to at least watch Shawn fuck once he became a top guy. Clique Cuq.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I spent way too much time trying to figure out who was the first WWE Champion that VKM had little to no desire to watch have sex and thought it was probably Jeff Hardy. *shrugs*

Oh I guess Bob Backlund too, who was VKM’s first champion and a guy he has been fairly explicit about thinking he was unfuckable.

Every other pre 2010s WWE Champ, Vince wanted to watch fuck it only for a curiosity “GOD DAMMIT, BRUCE, WHAT DOES THIS GUY LOOK LIKE LAYING PIPE!?” factor.

Valeyard

Reaction score
It's probably a very short list of people Vince wanted that relationship with, honestly. Shawn probably was the first one, only because Hogan probably got freaked out and Bret probably thought he was joking and never thought about it again.

You can't convince me, regardless, that the legendary Rumble intros weren't initially conceived by him introducing corresponding dildos into an affair.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
My friend who toured with WWE for a year backstage in the mid 2010s told me that most of the boys and a lot of the powerbrokers in the company were bisexual and I was highly skeptical. After this past year though, Idk…

Hey who knew a job that involved semi nude people grappling would have a sexual subtext?

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I want to circle back to this absurdity here because Backlund was 100% content to do comedy spots and jobs because he wanted the easy payoffs.

Why the actual fuck would Backlund give two French fried tittyfucks as Mr Cornette would say about Bill Fucking Watts and his hurt feelings and upset the gravy train he had going.
He started what very much appears to be a shoot fight with Mancow's body guard at the Slammy's after chastising their lack of respect for the business.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I guess 1:17 is my Konga Dave moment then. Still looks like Bob gives the guy the business once the pushing starts. Plus the "our world" comment. Just because he's smart enough to not go full Dr. D doesn't mean there isn't some smoke there

--
Shit, Shamrock is in the building. It would have been amazing if Shamrock and Bret ran up to clear up the scene. If anybody was left standing, Ron Simmons murks them.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Mancow prodded Stern for years because because Stern couldn't beat him in Chicago. Sent him a box of literal shit at one point. This led to the famous "I want to skullfuck Mancow's dead daddy" rants that basically ended him.

The Slammys would've been a perfect Stuttering John bit, though.