Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

WWF New Generation Thread III

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Mancow just randomly shooting on Stern was more of a shock to me.
Shock jocks are like any other comedians, they like shitting on each other almost as much as they like performing.

You aren’t worth your salt as a shock jock if you don’t have one rival DJ. You just better hope you age more like Howard Stern than Anthony Cumia.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Who is your primary comedic rival? And don’t say @BruiserBrody

Who is taking bookings from you and shit talking to promoters in Saugus?

Fall of Epic

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Howard was a goddamn international media figure, I only first knew Mancow from wrestling fucking Jimmy Hart in WCW. The two are not comparable.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
As I understand it (and this is based on old memories), Chicago was the only city Stern wasn't able to conquer at his peak. Was always behind Mancow, inexplicably. This inflated Mancow's ego and he kept trying to fuck with Stern for the clout of it, basically, and it ended badly for him. Last I saw were the clips of him on that Vice doc crying about Stern nuking him from space, despite him poking the bear like an idiot. He's now a MAGA jock somewhere, I think, meaning the trajectory is probably the exact opposite of Stern.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Chicago is one of the only truly unique major media markets in the USA. The aggro white dudes who get drunk and angry at Bears and White Sox games weren’t going to be down with a whiny New Yorker (especially one that was JEWISH) if there was a meathead, homegrown shock jock available.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Vader’s jacket looks like the type of “leather jacket” my least favorite uncle would wear.

Do we like Cornette with Vader? Vader probably needed a manager in WWF (and definitely needed one in Vince’s eyes) bu I feel like someone more rugged would have worked better.

WWF hadn’t had any rugged managers since Captain Lou and Blassie retired (and even then they just barely qualified).

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Maybe Dibiase with Vader works but Ted was checked the fuck out. Cornette at least put his shit out for Vader.

I mean, mayyyybe change Dutch up a little and Uncle Jeb could have done the spot but ultimately it would have looked visually fucky.

Wippleman no way.

Is there some veteran that could have played Harley here, Backlund was a joke by this point and doesn’t work, Blackjack was in and out with the company but he would have been too physically imposing to be Vaders handler.

Perfect was doing commentary, you might could pull it off with him playing Harley.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Fuji was the best choice of available options, by far.

Should've brought James Mitchell in.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
She was probably the most rugged of the managers that were there from ‘89 to ‘93.

Actually, Luna was probably the most rugged New Gen era manager too so she might have been OK with Vader.

Fuji was just too old and docile by ‘96.

Left field suggestion: What about Gerry Brisco as Vader’s handler?

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
She was probably the most rugged of the managers that were there from ‘89 to ‘93.

Actually, Luna was probably the most rugged New Gen era manager too so she might have been OK with Vader.

Fuji was just too old and docile by ‘96.

Left field suggestion: What about Gerry Brisco as Vader’s handler?
The right answer would be Patterson. Fits the former veteran who could talk spot and JR can make his “boy he sure knows how to handle the big mastodon, he’s got his hands all over Vader, I tell you what” quips.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Mancow hosted/played in the celebrity softball game in 94 when Summerslam was in Chicago which is where I assume wwf started their working relationship with him.

Mancow was real life friends with Chris Farley which he mentioned in every damn interview he ever did,

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
Vader and ‘91-esque heel Jake as a unit. Jake as ringside second and occasional tag team partner. I know he wanted to be a face because of the religious deal but he wasn’t sincere about that anyway.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Corny was fine and Vader's first 2 angles were memorable. But he came in hurt, and they had him job to Shawn and Warrior all across the country for months before trying to sell him on PPV main events. Then they decided he was stiff and fat and switched him to Uncle Paul.

We are just lucky Vince didn't take the fact that Leon was from Compton and book him to be aligned with Sir Mo with Mabel's January departure.
Mastodons on a Mission.

Valeyard

Reaction score
They didn't click for me. Cornette just felt too goofy for Vader.

You know what? Should've been Hayes. Or even Slaughter.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I agree with Brody. Cornette worked well with Vader. He was similar to Bobby Heenan and it worked like him and Andre, Bundy, and Studd.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Paul Bearer was a better manager for Vader the. Cornette. He had his best run in WWF since his debut when he was with Uncle Paul.

Cornette with Vader wasn’t bad but it wasn’t great. He just made Vader into a standard semi goofy WWF big man. Comparing it to Heenan with Studd and Bundy displays exactly why it was kind of off for me. With all due respect to those two, Vader just had a lot more to offer and that type of big man was irrelevant in 1996.

Now this PPV…(strong wind and rain noises) *post abruptly ends*

Last edited:

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
Shock jocks are like any other comedians, they like shitting on each other almost as much as they like performing.

You aren’t worth your salt as a shock jock if you don’t have one rival DJ. You just better hope you age more like Howard Stern than Anthony Cumia.
Just looked at Cumia's Twitter for the first time in forever. I'm not surprised that he's hate-tweeting about black people and reposting Libs of Tiktok, but he also believes Rob Reiner killed Heather O'Rourke?

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Corny released a video today about how Todd Pettengill had heat from some of the boys because he had a rather big money deal. He only worked a couple of days a month for TV and had a studio in his house so he could tape voice overs in NY without having to go to WWF studios.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I was once again thinking about how the shitty gimmicks hurt during this era.

- Once scenario I was thinking about was once again Ron Simmons' goofy gladiator gimmick. Had they had their ducks in a row quicker, his debut could have gone down something like this:

The Ahmed vs Shawn World title match for RAW is booked as it was laid out IRL. Simmons doesn't attack Ahmed and hurt him at the battle royal taping, but instead Johnson is cutting a promo the week before the match. The "WE ARE THE NATION..." theme hits for the first time. Simmons comes out with Clarence Mason, D-Lo, PG 13 and maybe a couple other guys who are there to fill things out and be cannon fodder.
He cuts a promo establishing the premise of the group and recruits Johnson.
Johnson rebukes verbally and the Nation walks off dismissively.
A week later during the match with Shawn, the ref is bumped. The Nation comes down and wipes Shawn out. They offer Shawn's prone body to Ahmed to pin as they revive the ref. Ahmed attacks the Nation instead and loses the numbers game. The agents and refs pour to ringside to break up the melee.
This can set up a Shawn/Simmons main event for Oct instead of Shawn taking the month off of PPV.
Ahmed and Shawn can continue their loose bromance that was established over the summer.
Maybe Johnson gets the World title run instead of Sid? Ahmed and friends vs Nation makes more sense for SSeries though.

Valeyard

Reaction score
All it takes is better gear and no Sunny, really. Insanely better off. Then just put the IC title on him instead, and don't put him next to Sid in a semi-final match.