Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

WWF New Generation Thread III

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
I guess you can argue the Tyson segment could be the catalyst if not for Montreal. Vince plays up the big announcement of Tyson signing in Dec. Austin tells him he doesn't give a damn, nobody is stopping him from getting the world title. Not the doctors, not Tyson and not HBK.

Vince threatens Austin to not mess with Tyson at the Rumble or beyond and Austin defies him.

Vince had been ramping up his physical angles with Bret and Austin over the year.
---
For the most part, Montreal isn't part of the boom. Late November/early December is even a bit dreary with Rude and Crush leaving too (Optics) along with Davey and Neidhart. Owen's AWOL. Shamrock isn't quite as hot as he should be and feels like a bit of a stand in challenger with Taker and Austin looming. A fat old Sarge is one of the top matches for the PPV. Tom Brandi is getting a push. The Gang Wars is kind of bleh. They've killed off the Road Warriors.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
It's a huge part of the boom. It was what officially made Vince recognized as the owner of the company, was the departure of the biggest star of that time, and further pulled the curtain back. In the long term, it's the most important event for the company. The intrigue was massive. The gravity of the Tyson stuff was that it was officially out in the open who Vince was and he was not to be trusted. If you just do an authority figure angle, it's no different than Jack Tunney telling someone not to do something.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It’s like the Austin 3:16 promo, except with a 10x bigger effect. Yeah, smarks can easily point out that it didn’t have any immediate effect (November/December ‘97 WWF and even a lot of early ‘98 does suck!) but it was in the back of everyone’s mind (“Vince fucked over the top guy before Austin! Imagine what he will due to Austin”. during the height of the boom.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score

I know they had bigger fish to fry and Uncle Fred was just going to be a JTTS, but maybe they should have given him yet another gimmick change?
They could have thumbed their noses at WCW and made him Corny's new Big Bubba....since he used to be Big Bubba.

Million Dollar Corp brings him in as US Steel, the beefy capitalist of union labor!

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
WWF @ Chicago, IL – Rosemont Horizon – June 25, 1993

The Brooklyn Brawler pinned the Predator with a backbreaker

Mr. Hughes pinned Bob Backlund with a roll up and hooking the tights for leverage

Luna Vachon pinned Sensational Sherri after Doink the Clown came ringside and tripped her from the outside

WWF World Champion Yokozuna (w/ Mr. Fuji) pinned Jim Duggan in a lumbjerjack match with the Bonzai Drop after Fuji distracted Duggan; prior to the bout, Crush chased Doink the Clown back to the locker room and neither returned as scheduled lumberjacks

Owen Hart pinned Damien Demento with a roll up

Crush defeated Doink the Clown via reverse decision; Doink originally won the match via count-out after a second Doink came to ringside and hid under the ring, holding on to Crush’s leg to prevent him from getting back in the ring; the referee then reversed the decision when he saw the second Doink

Hulk Hogan & Brutus Beefcake (w/ Jimmy Hart) defeated Ted Dibiase & IRS when Hogan pinned Dibiase with the legdrop after bringing Horace Grant of the Chicago Bulls out of the crowd to help him pin Dibiase; Sgt. Slaughter was the guest referee for the bout

---
Rough show for the big market. They are hoping Hogan carries the show of course. The women probably had the best match. Even Owen was saddled with a lug. Predator was Horace Hogan.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
John McAdam has talked about how the last show he went to at Boston Garden was one headlined by Money Inc Vs the Mega Maniacs with Sgt. Slaughter guest reffing. He said it barely drew 3,000 people.

I’m surprised McAdam didn’t return for Survivor Series ‘93. It’s funny to imagine that show offending his old school smark sensibilities! “Four Doinks! Give me a break! It was ridiculous!”

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
I’m surprised McAdam didn’t return for Survivor Series ‘93. It’s funny to imagine that show offending his old school smark sensibilities! “Four Doinks! Give me a break! It was ridiculous!”
If you're going to be offended by anything that match is a good place to start.

Valeyard

Reaction score
The fact Borga was a horrible human being is why he's there, so I get it.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Valeyard

Reaction score
I always liked their matches but they never seemed to click, anyway.