Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

2023 & On - College FOOTBAW Thread

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Boston College podcast I listen to mentioned the other week that some BC Fans want Deion to take over the head coaching job. I'm not sure if he wouldn't be better off staying at Jackson State.

I'd be shocked if Primetime wasn't coaching somewhere (presumably much more appealing than BC) in in the FBS in the next year or two.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
The FCS Playoffs are set! Lots of discussion at Florida A&M (9-2) not being included because they're a SWAC team while several 7-4 teams got included. Not helped by Deion stating he doesn't care about the playoffs while heading one of the best FCS teams in Jackson State... I'm torn as I always think that the teams with the best records should be in so I'd have voted in Florida A&M but if you go 8-4 in the SEC, it's a whole lot different than going 8-4 in the AAC. Same goes at the FCS level comparing say a CAA team going 8-3 against a Pioneer Conference team going 8-3. And check out IDAHO being an FCS playoff team already after moving back down :)

"I do think there either needs to be a distinction made between what’s considered to be a power conference in FCS or just flat out say it,” HC Willie Simmons said of the selection process. “It’s winning the conference or bust for teams in the MEAC or SWAC and those other conferences, you finish middle of the pack, win six or seven games and you’re in the playoff to have a chance to extend your season and I just don’t see how that system is justified in anyone’s mind.” *cough* Look at the FBS and the way it treats schools that go 9-3/10-2 and don't win the middle-tier conferences... par for the course.

"The Big Sky had an FCS-high five teams make the field, tied with the Colonial Athletic Association. It has three teams ranked in the country’s top 10 and three others ranked throughout the top 25. Playing within that gauntlet gives Montana [7-4 Record] the upper hand as opposed to teams from weaker conferences."

2022.jpg

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
As an FCS grad and fan, the HBCUs belong in the playoffs and the NCAA needs to accommodate them to participate and also have their Classic bowls. I'm not paid to figure out the logistics. I just know we've played enough SWAC teams at home to know they bring a crowd and will make huge bank for the NCAA. And if the SWAC team hosts a playoff game, that'll be a sell out game. You get Jacksonville State @ Grambling you're going to have to build another set of stands to fit the fans.

Also, I'm a fatty and Southern, Grambling, and Texas Southern had some damn good tailgating hospitality for the band. I wasn't enrolled for Prairie View or the handful of D2 HBCUs that we've played, but I smelt what I smelt, and it smelt good. Good way to get a bunch of rednecks to behave, tailgating friendships. Holy shit the neckbeards hugging and high fiving the Grambling tailgating fans was the most profound thing I've seen for race relations since Forrest Gump gave that nice lady, Vivian, her textbook.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
As an FCS grad and fan, the HBCUs belong in the playoffs and the NCAA needs to accommodate them to participate and also have their Classic bowls. I'm not paid to figure out the logistics. I just know we've played enough SWAC teams at home to know they bring a crowd and will make huge bank for the NCAA. And if the SWAC team hosts a playoff game, that'll be a sell out game. You get Jacksonville State @ Grambling you're going to have to build another set of stands to fit the fans.

Also, I'm a fatty and Southern, Grambling, and Texas Southern had some damn good tailgating hospitality for the band. I wasn't enrolled for Prairie View or the handful of D2 HBCUs that we've played, but I smelt what I smelt, and it smelt good. Good way to get a bunch of rednecks to behave, tailgating friendships. Holy shit the neckbeards hugging and high fiving the Grambling tailgating fans was the most profound thing I've seen for race relations since Forrest Gump gave that nice lady, Vivian, her textbook.
My issue centers around the HBCU treating their classic bowls as a priority (which they understandably should) and then decrying that the FCS Playoffs don't choose their 3rd or 4th best team in the division because the best two teams are playing the bowl game instead and/or have outrighted stated they don't care about the playoffs, which further hurts the perspective from the playoff committee. With all that said, Jackson State, who are 11-0, are going to be playing a 6-5 Prairie View A&M squad so that also hurts Florida A&M's point of being in a strong enough conference.

I do wish the Ivy League would get off their asses and send their winner to the playoffs already though. Yale, Princeton, and Penn all went 8-2 with Harvard & Columbia finishing at 6-4. The other sports such as Men's Hockey & NCAA Basketball result in programs going to the post-season so they can't use the argument of "academics" over all.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Ohio (9-3, 7-1) won the Mid-American Conference East Division and will play for its first league title since 1968 when it faces Toledo on Dec. 3 in Detroit. :)

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I would love to see how the traditional playoff conferences would fare in Ivy League match ups. NDSU @ the Yale Bowl would be fun. Fantasy booking, HBCU vs Ivy games with playoff stakes. Southern hosting Harvard. Grambling @ Cornell. Eastern Washington @ Jackson State.

MFer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ohio (9-3, 7-1) won the Mid-American Conference East Division and will play for its first league title since 1968 when it faces Toledo on Dec. 3 in Detroit. :)
Eastern Michigan tied with Toledo for first in the MAC West, but lost the head-to-head tiebreaker. Still, EMU won 8 games for the first time since 1987 and swept Central Michigan and Western Michigan for the first time since 2012. Chris Creighton has worked miracles with that program.

MFer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Jim Harbaugh went from on the verge to being ran out of Ann Arbor to snatching control of the Ohio State rivalry. The NC is a realistic possibility.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Umass also got their doors blown off to finish the season with 1 win under new HC Don Brown...

The following small schools are 10-2: Tulane, UTSA, Troy, and South Alabama with Coastal Carolina at 9-2.

In the FCS playoff side: Furman cruised past Elon 31-6; Delaware steamrolled St. Francis 56-17; New Hampshire knocked off Fordham in a shootout 52-42; Richmond shut out Davidson 41-0; Weber State continues its miracle run beating North Dakota 38-31; Gardner-Webb beat Eastern Kentucky 52-41 in a slugfest; SE Louisiana survived Idaho(!) 45-42; and Montana knocked out SE Missouri State 34-24.

So next week's matchups
New Hampshire vs. Holy Cross in a game only the Northeast cares about.
Furman vs. Incarnate Word
Gardner-Webb vs. William & Mary
Delaware vs. South Dakota State
Weber State vs. Montana State
SE Louisiana vs. Samford
Montana vs. North Dakota State in a classic Northwest Plains FCS Playoff Battle
Richmond vs. Sacramento State

Also, the SWAC Title Game will feature Southern and Jackson State squaring off. Jackson State shut them out 35-0 in their prior meeting.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Samford left the Southland Conference around the same time Southeastern brought back football. Should be a good match up.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Utah steamrolled USC to win back-to-back Pac-12 Championships. Buffalo became bowl eligible at 6-6 with a win over Akron 23-22. Finally, UTSA slaughtered North Texas to win the Conference USA Championship and is sitting at an 11-2 record!

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
FCS Playoffs roll on! No real upsets or surprises in this round although IW and Sacramento State got scares from their opponents.

- Holy Cross steamrolled UNH in a rain fest 35-19.
- Incarnate Word survived Furman 41-38.
- William & Mary cruised past Gardner-Webb easily 54-14.
- South Dakota State crushed Delaware 42-6.
- Montana State beat Weber State 33-25 to dash their miracle run.
- Samford knocked out SE Louisiana in OT in a 48-42 shootout.
- North Dakota State easily handled Montana convincingly winning 49-26.
- Sacramento State scored 14 unanswered in the 4th quarter to beat Richmond 38-31.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Incarnate Word is led by Lindsey Scott who was at Nicholls State last year and the COVID season where we put up huge numbers. I can't find anything in terms of personal reasons as to why he went to UIW. He wasn't specifically benched at Nicholls but he definitely was sharing snaps with other players. Dude has played college football all over the damn region thanks to transfer rules, injury redshirt, and COVID stuff. From what I can tell, he's a good dude and originally enrolled at LSU simply b/c his mom worked there. That's an alright guy in my book. I hated seeing him lead the Cardinals all over our faces this season though. That hurt knowing he was leading our guys just a year ago in a similar ass kicking fashion. UIW seems to appreciate him and is helping him get his masters degree. Can't have hard feelings for that.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
I heard on the radio one guy who transferred got a $5 Million NIL deal... and the host made the valid point of: Why not just jump every year and rake in that NIL money at that point as opposed to entering early for the NFL Draft and potentially not being a 1st/2nd Round pick.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Reactions: SFH

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
North Dakota State whipped Samford 27-9 while Montana State easily rolled William & Mary 55-7.

Incarnate Word beat Sacramento State in the highest scoring FCS playoff game ever 66-63. South Dakota State cruised past Holy Cross 42-21.

Incarnate Words goes on the road to face North Dakota State in what could be an epic game while Montana State goes on the road against South Dakota State in a battle of the northern plains to get to the FCS Title Game.

Reactions: SFH

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Double A's Bowl Viewing Guide

Friday, December 16
HomeTown Lenders Bahamas Bowl
: Miami (OH) vs UAB
Duluth Trading Cure Bowl: UTSA vs Troy

Saturday, December 17
Wasabi Fenway Bowl
: Cincinnati vs Louisville