Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

2023 & On - College FOOTBAW Thread

Broward83

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Everybody and their mom can know, but be upfront about it. Don't say God called you to make a change in HBCUs, don't get mad when Eddie Robinson JR. calls you out for being a fraud, don't act holier-than-thou when people rightfully get upset that not only are you leaving, but you're "taking your luggage" with you.

If you believe what some players have said about Deion, his staff, and the JSU transfers, then he should continue to get blamed. Ignoring CU players, withholding tape (until they got called out on Twitter), sectioning off into a JSU/CU grouping in locker room... Like, fuck Deion and his sanctimonious "Coach Prime" persona and that he's somehow trying to bring respect/toughness back into the game...AND that's not even mentioning his comments about certain positions and the make-up of the family that player comes from.

All the other "culture" shit he's trying to change about CU and everything..dude wants CU to be like an HBCU. Funny, if he loves that culture, that lifestyle...maybe he shoulda fucking stayed at one instead of appropriating it for his personal benefit in Colorado.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'd love to see CU have a winning program. I'm grateful to them (and any FBS) for giving a payday game to my FCS alma mater. I am also sad that Prime left JSU b/c they're one of my favorite non-Louisiana FCS teams. I am pessimistic about the CU jump, but I want to be wrong. I want to see him change lives and fortunes for that community. Unfortunately, as each week goes by, my pessimism increases. I don't like the shit that keeps coming out, but I also know media can be biased and push an agenda. Maybe Coach Prime isn't a total shit bag, but the optics are unfavorable.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

"Colorado is in the process of leaving the Pac-12 and returning to the Big 12, according to multiple reports on Tuesday.

ESPN first reported news of CU's interest in re-joining the conference in which they were members from its 1996 founding through the 2010 football season, but Brett McMurphy of the Action Network followed that report by saying the Buffs will indeed make the move.

Colorado's Board of Regents is set to meet Wednesday and Thursday, and the Big 12's Board of Directors will approve the move on Thursday, per the report. ESPN reports the Big 12 will hold a call tonight to discuss the move.

Colorado is expected to rejoin the conference in time for the 2024 football season."

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
P12 as we all know it is effectively dead as Oregon and Washington choose to abandon the sinking ship for the B10 and Arizona is joining Colorado in their jump to the Big 12.

Effectively leaving Stanford, Cal, AZ State, Utah, Wazzou and Oregon St to find a landing spot or continue to exist in what is now at best, the west coast CUSA.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Season "Week 0" starts today. Big games are Navy @ #13 Notre Dame (2:30 PM/11:30 AM) in IRELAND; Ohio @ San Diego State (7:00 PM/4:00 PM); and San Jose State @ #6 USC (8:00 PM/5:00 PM). I'll be watching the Hawaii/Vanderbilt game to see the return of the Run & Shoot (again) for Hawaii... again baffled by Timmy Chang's choice in Y1 to just not bring that offense in the first place but lesson re-learned ala Rolovich.

On the FCS side you have North Alabama @ Mercer; Fordham @ Albany which could be a solid matchup; and the spotlight on SC State @ Jackson State at 7:00/4:00.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Effectively leaving Stanford, Cal, AZ State, Utah, Wazzou and Oregon St to find a landing spot or continue to exist in what is now at best, the west coast CUSA.
Stanford and Cal (as well as SMU) are close to joining the ACC.

Really stretching their definition of the ATLANTIC Coast Conference.

Currently in the “denial” phase for Boston College Football. They have one of the weakest schedules in FBS football and there’s no way their entire offensive line will go out injured again. They have to at least make a bowl game, right?

RIGHT!?

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Umass won their first opening game against an FBS opponent in 40 YEARS!. Suck on that, New Mexico State.

Vandy sorta stomped Hawai'i but Hawai'i put up a fight and should've tied it 21/21 at one point but penalties/a costly thrown INT doomed that chance. Definitely not the same team that got steamrolled by 45+ last year.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Currently in the “denial” phase for Boston College Football. They have one of the weakest schedules in FBS football and there’s no way their entire offensive line will go out injured again. They have to at least make a bowl game, right?

RIGHT!?
And they lost in overtime to Northern Illinois.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Lot of D2 upsets this weekend!

- Wyoming knocked off Texas Tech in 2 OT 35-33
- Fresno State beat Purdue 39-35 behind QB Mikey Keene's 366 yard 4 TD performance
- Marshall survived Albany 21-17 while FIU barely beat Maine 14-12
- Texas State beat Baylor 42-31 behind QB TJ Finley throwing for 298 and 3 TD
- Illinois got past Toledo 30-28 on a 29 yard FG as time ran out
- D2 Bowie State beat Delaware State 22-11
- D2 Virginia State beat Norfolk State 33-24
- D2 Central State beat Mississippi Valley State 24-21
- Stetson survived St. Thomas University 34-33 in OT. Kaderris Roberts ran for 124 and 2 TD

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Enjoying Coach Sanders' victory lap this weekend going into this morning's sports talk shows. I am digging his ability to switch from "Prime" to "Coach Sanders" on a dime. And the way he can easily flip between "dad" and "coach" when speaking on his son is also cool to see.

I'm a homer for small schools and would have loved him to keep the attention on Jackson State and the FCS by extension, but I've made the decision in my brain to think of it like this: By going to CU he has the chance to give out even more scholarships to student athletes that he sees merit in and may have been overlooked. He gets to expose even more students to his coaching style, playing style, and general mentoring. Do I think he's the next Nick Saban? Not yet but I do think his name recognition and ability to both lead and be a character is going to continue to change some lives.

And I'm here for it.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
My concern in what will stop him from leapfrogging to an even bigger program in 2-3 years. Although if he is able to turn Colorado into a national powerhouse, maybe he won’t have to!

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That's a very valid concern anytime a coach has success at a mid to lower tier program. I would hope that by being independently wealthy, some of these coaches wouldn't need to make those moves. Specifically the ones in Sanders' situation, successful NFL career, successful broadcasting career, and now being successful with college coaching. Me, a poor, would think turning around programs would be enriching enough since I already have all the money I could need from when I was a pro athlete. I was excited to see how Ed Reed was going to do at Bethune-Cookman but uhh... yeah.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
With all of that mega conference money floating around, you can bet your sweet bippy that the next powerhouse program with a failing coach is going to throw the bag at Deion.

I’d be shocked SHOCKED if Deion’s name isn’t thrown around if/when Miami has another mediocre or worse season.

Idea of a Florida State legend coaching Miami doesn’t sit well but neither has the last 20 years of Miami Hurricanes football!

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Duke's stomping of Clemson was their first win over a Top 10 team since 1989 (#7 Clemson when Steve Spurrier was Duke's HC before he jumped to Florida).