Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

2023 & On - College FOOTBAW Thread

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
You made up at least three of those bowl games but I don’t know which.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm happy UConn's bowl is not ranked last.

I have an aunt & uncle in Myrtle Beach, maybe I can visit and convince them to go to the 39th best bowl game with me!

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The MAC selections are always wild to me, the best teams always have to go to god damn Detroit or Boise but the bottom tier qualifying team draws Bahamas.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Mike Leach has died.

What a personality. Also super creative coach.
This one hurts...

Great personality. Up there with Mouse Davis & June Jones as one of the most revolutionary advancers of the passing game in the last 30 years IMO. While others have coached and used the Air Raid, none have done it quite the same as Leach to where he'd willingly throw it 80% in a game if he could get away with it.

Basically gave us at least 5 core plays we see in CFB/NFL with Mesh, Shallow Cross (and its variants), Y Stick, Y Sail, and the Option/Jerk Route for the slot WR.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
North Dakota State survived Incarnate Word 35-32 by scoring 11 in the 4th quarter. QB Cam Miller and RB Kobe Johnson both ran for 130+ with Kobe scoring 3 TDs. The other FCS Semi-Final game is today 4 PM ET/1 PM PT.

For the DIII Title, North Central beat Mount Union(!) 28-21. RB Ethan Greenfield ran for 119 and 1 TD.

The D2 Title Game is at 1:00 PM ET/11:00 AM PT on ESPNU as Colorado School of Mines takes on Ferris State.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
New Year's will get the attention but Monday's a deep slate... Mississippi State playing post-passing of Mike Leach; Tulane/USC going head to head; LSU/Purdue; then #11 Penn State takes on #8 Utah who have knocked off big-name programs consistently over the last several years.

Staff member
Reaction score
Michigan has been getting ripped whenever they blitz and they just won't stop.

MFer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't want to get into the refs, Michigan just had a poor gameplan and the players made uncharacteristic mistakes. They'll be in the hunt next year, but you don't get these types of chances often.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Iowa shutting out Kentucky led to this fun stat find: "The Hawkeyes recorded the first bowl shutout since 2019 and the first for a Big Ten team since 1999."

CB Tayvion Beasley & OG Tyrion Brown are following Deion from Jackson State to Colorado. Deion also gets DL Leonard Payne, transferring from Fresno State and OG/C Landon Babee from Missouri State.

For 909, OT Michael Tarquin is jumping from Florida to USC.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Michigan getting that touchdown wrongly removed didn’t seem like such a big deal when they were getting beaten on. But damn if that wouldn’t have made the difference. TCU looked great though. Was surprised to see them storming out the gate like that.

I was in bed before the other game ended. Shocked Georgia didn’t win by double digits.

Broward83

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Iowa shutting out Kentucky led to this fun stat find: "The Hawkeyes recorded the first bowl shutout since 2019 and the first for a Big Ten team since 1999."

CB Tayvion Beasley & OG Tyrion Brown are following Deion from Jackson State to Colorado. Deion also gets DL Leonard Payne, transferring from Fresno State and OG/C Landon Babee from Missouri State.

For 909, OT Michael Tarquin is jumping from Florida to USC.
USC is also getting Xavier Worthy from Texas, IIRC.

Staff member
Reaction score
They have the #1 CB's from the last two recruiting classes, those guys are almost always great players. But if they don't do something about their run defense teams are gonna run for 400 yards against them constantly.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Timmy Chang's come out and said that Hawai'i is going "all in" on transitioning back to the Run & Shoot offense. It makes sense as it's what their identity is as a school, the HC knows the offense, etc. but (like Rolovich) it's fair to wonder why they tried to hide behind the excuse that it takes a year+ to install and basically wasted their 1st year as HC implementing an offense that struggled instead of going with what they knew best.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Crazy turnover going on in Colorado... A lot of them are being told to do so by Sanders. Not a real surprise given Sanders' heavy leaning on the transfer portal but like with most college programs, I think you really have to create a bedrock foundation through your geographical location and utilize that as a draw. Players coming in from out of state may be more talented but aren't beholden to the school compared to a kid whose father or grandfather attended Colorado and want to follow in his footsteps or a kid who grew up watching Colorado football their whole lives.

"A total of 51 Buffaloes have entered or said they plan to since the portal first opened in December – 46 since Sanders took over Dec. 2. No other program has lost more than 29 players."

"Gray said he was offered a chance to keep his scholarship and not play football and hadn’t heard from any teammates who had not been given that offer. “All the players who entered the transfer portal, we want to play football,” Gray said."

"Casey Roddick, one of the team’s leaders last season and its best offensive lineman, landed at Florida State and joined the Seminoles before spring after starting 30 games and playing in 42 for the Buffaloes. Cornerback Kaylin Moore started 14 games and committed to Cal after entering the transfer portal.

Other Buffaloes have landed at Boise State (WR Chase Perry), Charlotte (OL Austin Johnson), and Southern Illinois (OL Noah Fenske). A trio of quarterbacks — J.T. Shrout, Owen McCown, and Maddox Kopp — ended up signing with Arkansas State, UTSA, and Miami (Ohio), respectively."

Broward83

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Call me a hater or whatever, but I hope Deion fucking fails at every step while at Colorado. I don't think we'll ever know the full, 100% truth of what happened at Jackson State, but I believe he completely used them to get his foot into a D1 program.

I'm not religious in any sense, but dude has to be one of the most special humans on Earth for how much God apparently personality "calls" Deion to do shit.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Call me a hater or whatever, but I hope Deion fucking fails at every step while at Colorado. I don't think we'll ever know the full, 100% truth of what happened at Jackson State, but I believe he completely used them to get his foot into a D1 program.

I'm not religious in any sense, but dude has to be one of the most special humans on Earth for how much God apparently personality "calls" Deion to do shit.
It's hard to blame Deion when everybody and their Mom knew he was using Jackson State as a launching pad for a D1 school. I feel like the Jackson State program/administration deserves more of the blame knowing what they were walking into and knowing it would be a brief boost to the program at the expense of the long-term gain.

I kind of got that same vibe from Ed Reed when he was named HC at Bethune-Cookman. While he told the truth about the poor facilities, that's something you don't do publicly as a HC. They ended up hiring Raymond Woodie Jr as their HC who was a '96 graduate and had been an assistant coach at multiple D1 programs in Florida.