Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

2023 & On - College FOOTBAW Thread

Broward83

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Texas won. AnM lost. Texas is...making strides to become a contending team again.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Harley's Weekly FCS Recap. More DII upsets, a couple upsets of FBS schools, and a lot of schools escaping by the skin of their teeth!

FBS UPSET Southern Illinois beat Northern Illinois 14-11! WR Kacper Rutkiewicz had 6 catches for 139 and 1 TD
Another (one) DII upset as Barton College beat Davidson 33-31. RB Jordan Terrell ran for 140 and 2 TD
Holy Cross gave BC all it could handle in a 28-31 loss.
Stonehill beat Central Connecticut 33-30 behind RB Jermaine Corbett's 182 yards and 1 TD
New Hampshire nearly upset Central Michigan but lost 42-45. QB Max Brosmer threw for 493 and 4 TD
More DII upsets as Colorado Mesa beat San Diego 28-21 behind QB Gavin Herberg's 180 and 3 TD through the air.
Morgan State nearly upset Akron but lost 21-24.
FBS UPSET Fordham beat Buffalo 40-37! QB CJ Montes threw for 309 and 5 TD.
A 3rd(!) DII upset on the day as Miles College beat Alabama State 21-17 behind RB Jonero Scott's 74 yards and 2 TD
FBS UPSET UMASS could learn a thing in regaining confidence in their football program @King of Summer Kamala because IDAHO stomped Nevada 33-6. QB Gevani McCoy threw for 313 and 2 TD.
Eastern Washington almost knocked off Fresno State but lost 31-34. RB Justice Jackson ran for 79 and 1 TD.

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score

This story is WILD

This is sad and disgusting at the same time. I was sympathetic to Etute until his quote about “he can’t do this to anyone else again”. Really gross. His shame does not allow him to be the literal executioner of someone.

I also would be more open to acquittal if it happened after the first encounter. The fact that the killing occurred when he went back a second time once he found out ”Angie Renee” was a man makes the story really sad.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score

This story is WILD
I finally was able to make time to read it. I feel for both families. I have no idea where I would land on it as a juror with the facts presented in the story. I lean toward some version of guilt. It is definitely not lacking in gray area. A person is dead, and there should be justice seems simple enough. Stories like this, for me, are a reminder that life is not always black and white. I have zero doubt in the same situation, I would not have done what Etute did in reaction. I would have ran, sure, but I'm not violent. But also, my life experience is nowhere near what this young man has experienced. And does a difference in life experience justify killing?

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It seems more like a manslaughter case than murder to me. I am sure the fact that he went back to seek out the catfisher is what turned it into murder but I don’t think there was intent to kill the guy.

Staff member
Reaction score

oh-my-gawd-yikes.gif

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Ivy League kicks off their college season this weekend including matchups such as Holy Cross/Yale, Penn/Colgate, and Dartmouth/New Hampshire.

Also, keep an eye on Idaho/Cal after Idaho completely smoked Nevada last week.

Sex Machine Gun

Kotzenjunge
Reaction score
It's Florida day for Tennessee! It's at The Swamp this year so I'm hoping for a most supreme ass beating. Like, with sour cream, diced tomatoes, fuckin' STEAK. No matter how disconnected I get from college ball I am goddamn always up for fuckin' Florida week.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
This is '90s episode of WWF Superstars energy. Just missing the PBP guy giving us random facts about College Park, Maryland at the top of the broadcast. Although maybe he did do that and they just didn't mention it in the article.

I'd counter to this article thought that this is the kind of treatment 2023 UVA football deserves.

Sex Machine Gun

Kotzenjunge
Reaction score
Every fucking time I look forward to Tennessee/Florida. EVERY FUCKING TIME. We haven't even won in Gainesville in twenty fucking years! Nine straight losses! Yes, niiiiiiiiiine times.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Maybe there’s hope for next year as my alma matter Miami defeated my beloved Cincy for first time since I was a student there in 2005.

It’s like watching your shitty kid beat up your other actually talented kid but now you gotta listen to your shitty kid act like he’s better than the actual good kid and he doesn’t deserve it.

Staff member
Reaction score
The best thing about football is that the play on the field doesn’t care about whatever the narrative is. And well Colorado State came to play and imo all those celebrities on Colorados sideline are some part in why they had no focus and why they are going to lose.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Worth noting Colorado State still put up 35 and largely shut down Travis Hunter (2 for 21 receiving with a lost fumble, 2 tackles).

EDIT: Saw Hunter got injured in the 1st quarter, hope he's back next week.

Week 3 FCS Recap
- Holy Cross stomped Yale 49-24 behind QB Matt Sluka's 275 and 4 TD.
- Cornell beat Lehigh 23-20 to open up their 135th season of CFB. QB Jameson Wang threw for 293, ran for 85, and had 3 TD.
- Youngstown State beat Robert Morris 48-28. RB Tyshon King ran for 117 and 3 TD.
- Hampton survived Howard 35-34 behind RB Elijah Burris & Darran Butts running for 198 yards.
- North Dakota State rolled Central Arkansas 49-31. RB ShunDerrick Powell ran for 218 and 2 TD in the loss.
- Utah Tech beat Northern Arizona 50-36 behind QB Kobe Tracy's 316 and 2 TD.
- Portland State HUNG 91 POINTS on North American University in a 91-0 shutout. PSU ran for 293 and 7 TD as a team.
- Brown beat Bryant 29-25 behind QB Jake Willcox's 335 and 3 TD.
- Furman beat Kennesaw State 31-28 behind QB Jonathan Murphy's 308 and 2 TD.
- Western Carolina beat Eastern Kentucky 27-24. RB Desmond Reid ran for 177 and 1 TD.
- Tennessee State beat Gardner-Webb 27-25 on a 50 yard FG with 9 seconds left.
- Presbyterian beat Wofford 23-20. QB Tyler Wesley threw for 281 and 2 TD.
- Southern Illinois beat SE Missouri State 26-25. QB Nic Baker threw for 458 and 3 TD.
- Lindenwood beat Western Illinois 43-40. WR Jeff Caldwell was 5-185-4.
- FCS UPSET SACRAMENTO STATE BEAT STANFORD 30-23. QB Kaiden Bennett threw for 279, ran for 100, and had 3 TD.
- Incarnate Word beat Abilene Christian 27-20. QB Zach Calzada threw for 373 and 1 TD. WR Brandon Porter had 10-201-1.
- UC Davis beat Southern Utah 23-21. QB Miles Hastings threw for 256 and 2 TD.

Last edited:

Broward83

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Worth noting Colorado State still put up 35 and largely shut down Travis Hunter (2 for 21 receiving with a lost fumble, 2 tackles).

EDIT: Saw Hunter got injured in the 1st quarter, hope he's back next week.
Deion is saying Hunter is out at minimum two weeks after a flagrantly late, dirty hit from CSU.

So Shadeur will be without his #1 against Oregon and USC.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
Colorado is white hot, so much so that more people watched Colorado and Colorado State (9.3 million) -- two teams that went a combined 4-20 last year -- than watched iconic brands Alabama and Texas (8.8 million) the week before. What makes that more astounding is the Colorado game started after 10 p.m. ET, ended around last call and smashed ESPN's record for the most-watched late-night game of all time by more than 4 million viewers.

I’m on the bandwagon but this is still an interesting breakdown.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Boise State beat San Diego State 34-31 last night behind RB Ashton Jeanty's 205 yards on the ground. Air Force as usual is now a sneaky 4-0 after beating San Jose State 45-20 behind Emmanuel Michel's 148-yard, 3 TD outburst.

Fun Fact: Air Force has gone 31-8 between 2019, 2021, and 2022. HC Troy Calhoun actually has a higher win percentage than legendary AF HC Fisher DeBerry.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
FCS RECAP
- Butler beat Stetson 28-18. RB Jyran Mitchell (converted from WR) ran for 238 and 3 TD.
- Marist beat Valparaiso 36-30 in OT. QB Brock Bagozzi threw for 248 and 3 TD.
- St. Thomas-Minnesota beat Morehead State 35-28. RB Shawn Shipman ran for 204 and 2 TD.
- Western Carolina rolled Charleston Southern 77-21. QB Cole Gonzales threw for 299 and 5 TD.
- Eastern Illinois beat McNeese 31-28. RB MJ Flowers ran for 272 and 1 TD.
- Penn beat Bucknell 37-21. WR Jared Richardson was 12 for 139 and 1 TD.
- Idaho knocked off Sacramento State 36-27. RB Anthony Woods ran for 117 and 1 TD.
- Northern Arizona upset Montana 28-14. QB Adam Damante threw for 212 and 1 TD.
- San Diego beat Dayton 40-25. QB Grant Sergent threw for 262 and 3 TD.
- Elon beat Campbell 28-24. RB Jalen Hampton ran for 169 and 4 TD.
- Delaware beat New Hampshire 29-25. WR Jourdan Townsend had 5 for 122 and 1 TD.
- Austin Peay beat Stephen F. Austin 22-20. RB Jevon Jackson ran for 197 and 1 TD.
- UT Martin beat North Alabama 37-21. RB Sam Franklin ran for 221 and 2 TD.
- Eastern Washington beat UC Davis 27-24. RB Lan Larison ran for 255 and 1 TD in the loss.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Fuckin lol the amount of shit Colorado was talking. They acted like they actually done something already. The part threatening to beat up the coach was hilarious I'm glad these guys lost tbh.
This was incredibly well done.

All jokes aside (see earlier), this is the kind of game they probably needed. A lot of these students are talented enough players for a D-I scholarship but aren't going to make the pros, like most athletes. Instead, they're going to spend (hopefully) 4 years getting mentored by Deion Sanders, privately, and that's pretty damn awesome thing to carry through life. For those students that didn't have the grades to get into college the way I did and had to rely on their physical gifts, regardless of the weekly scoreboard, they are (again, hopefully) getting an education at a damn fine school and also making some memories. The Oregon game was an absolute shit kicking and it's obvious a lot of those young men needed the reality check but if Coach was on the level in the post game presser, it'll be a learning opportunity.

And if you can locate Stephen A and Shannon Sharpe's discussion about this game yesterday, I recommend watching it with an open mind and heart. Both analysts had me silently nodding the entire segment.

And yes, don't threaten the other coach. That's the most "dad" figure many players ever have. My equivalent is my college band director. I still send messages through one of his relatives in my peer group since he doesn't do social media/give his number out. (The arrangement is a welcomed thing by all parties). If someone tried talking shit to my coach/director at that age, I'd absolutely lose the fight in 5 seconds, but I'd go take a punch for him.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
On the opposite end of the spectrum, I am glad you will all have the opportunity to tune into the ACC Sicko Game of the Year between my 1-3 Boston College Eagles and the 0-4 Virginia Cavaliers, at 2 PM EST/11 AM PST on the CW!

This should be where BC gets into the easier part of their schedule and maybe starts picking up some more wins but I said that last week and Louisville blew them out 56-28.

Also I got family in Charlottesville and it’d suck for them to see UVA have a zero win season especially with all that they have been through in the past few years. And if UVA beats BC in Chestnut Hill on family weekend maybe that’s be enough to get Jeff Hafley’s bumass fired.

In any event, this will be the worst thing to air on The CW since The Great Khali’s World Title reign.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Kentucky moved to 5-0, smacking #22 Florida out of the Top 25. Texas A&M, Tulane, Jacksonville State, and BYU are all 4-1 while James Madison and Louisville are sitting at 5-0.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
FCS Recap - Week 5! No real upsets but a lot of great individual performances and some teams are starting to separate themselves in their respective conferences.

Brown rolled Central Connecticut State 42-20. QB Jake Willcox threw for 386 and 4 TD.
Davidson beat San Diego 55-33. RB Mari Adams ran for 169 and 4 TD.
Rhode Island beat Bryant 49-26. QB Kasim Hill threw for 332 and 3 TD.
Marist beat Stetson 34-24. RB Amin Woods ran for 232 and 1 TD.
Butler beat Presbyterian 27-17. WR Dominic Kibby was 5-199-2 in the loss.
Georgetown beat Fordham 28-24. QB Tyler Knoop threw for 216 and 3 TD.
South Dakota beat North Dakota State 24-19 on the road(!). WR Carter Bell was 5-124-2.
Northern Iowa beat Youngstown State 44-41. QB Theo Day threw for 334 and 4 TD.
Elon beat William & Mary 14-6. WR Chandler Brayboy was 4-109-1.
Western Carolina beat The Citadel 49-14. RB Desmond Reid ran for 167 and 5 TD.
South Dakota State beat North Dakota 42-21. RB Isaiah Davis ran for 132 and 3 TD.
Towson beat New Hampshire 54-51 in OT. RB Devin Matthews ran for 114 and 1 TD.
Maine beat Stony Brook 56-28. QB Derek Robertson threw for 394 and 5 TD.
NC Central beat Campbell 49-48. QB Hajj Williams threw for 302 and 5 TD in the loss.
Idaho beat Eastern Washington 44-36. RB Anthony Woods ran for 183 and 5 TD.
Montana State beat Portland State 38-22. QB Sean Chambers threw for 143 & 3 TD while running for 118 and 1 TD.
Harvard beat Holy Cross 38-28. QB Matt Sluka threw for 320 and 4 TD in the loss.
Grambling beat Prairie View A&M 35-20. QB Myles Crawley threw for 241 and 2 TD.
Eastern Kentucky beat North Alabama 32-22. RB Joshua Carter ran for 138 and 1 TD.
UT Martin beat Tennessee State 20-10. RB Sam Franklin ran for 132.
UC Davis beat Cal Poly 31-13. QB Miles Hastings threw for 242 and 1 TD.