Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

2023 & On - College FOOTBAW Thread

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Colorado got smoked and has quietly? fell to 4-7 after people thought Deion would do an instant turnaround there. A poor 2-8 Pittsburgh team beat Boston College further proving you should never believe in the BC hype, right @Holiday Piss Jug Connor? BC plays Miami and has a good chance at finishing the season out at 6-6.

Toledo (10-1) and Miami Ohio (9-2) both won this week and will square off for the MAC Title. UTSA won and is sitting at 8-3 with a big matchup next week against a possibly ranked Tulane team to decide the top of the AAC.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/recap/_/gameId/401531401 "(Frank) Harris was 31-of-46 passing for 411 yards with three touchdowns and no interceptions and added 112 yards rushing and three TDs on 12 carries. He is the only player in the FBS this season with 400-plus yards passing and 100-plus yards rushing in a single game."

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Getting beat by a lame duck 2-8 Pitt team could definitely be worst loss of the season. Or it’s certainly 1C to the home opener against Northern Illinois’s 1A and the blowout last weekend against a fair to middling Virginia Tech’s 1B.

Castellanos seems worn down and he is generally an absolute shit passer. I’d almost wonder if BC wouldn’t benefit from using a two quarterback formation next season? He still has two more years of eligibility so ideally he’ll be more like his old self after the off season.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
FCS Recap Week 12 Another good week as teams started clinching their conferences, and playoff spots, and defenses started showing up.

Duquesne beat Merrimack 26-14 to claim NEC Title. QB Darrius Perantes threw for 218 and 3 TD.
Holy Cross beat Georgetown 31-10. QB Matt Sluka threw for 123 & 1 TD and ran for 161 & 2 TD.
Lafayette beat Lehigh 49-21 to claim Patriot League Title. RB Jamar Curtis ran for 166 and 3 TD.
Yale upset Harvard 23-18. RB Josh Pitsenberger ran for 99.
Drake beat Butler 13-9 to lock in playoff spot. QB Luke Bailey threw for 120 and 1 TD.
FCS Upset: Wofford beat #2 Furman 19-13. RB Ryan Ingram ran for 111 and 1 TD.
VMI beat Western Carolina 27-24. RB Hunter Rice ran for 138 and 4 TD.
Villanova beat Delaware 35-7 to clinch the CAA Title. QB Connor Watkins threw for 222 and 2 TD.
New Hampshire beat Maine 44-25. WR Logan Tomlinson was 8-121-1.
FCS Upset: Samford beat UT Martin 27-17. RB Jay Stanton ran for 193 and 1 TD.
Towson beat Rhode Island 31-30. QB Nathan Kent threw for 188 and 1 TD.
Richmond beat William & Mary 27-26. QB Kyle Wickersham threw for 152 and ran for 72 & 1 TD.
Colgate beat Fordham 21-14. RB Jaedon Henry ran for 106.
North Dakota beat Illinois State 22-21. RB Gaven Ziebarth ran for 74 and 2 TD.
Austin Peay beat Central Arkansas 14-12. RB Jevon Jackson ran for 70 and 1 TD.
Montana beat Montana State 37-7. QB Clifton McDowell threw for 200 and 1 TD.
Youngstown State beat Murray State 34-17. WR Bryce Oliver was 8-74-2. He's tied the school record for career TD catches with 25.
Alcorn State beat Jackson State 28-24. QB Aaron Allen threw for 225 and 3 TD.
UC Davis beat Sacramento State 31-21. RB Lan Larison ran for 121 and 3 TD.
South Dakota State beat Missouri State 35-17. QB Mark Gronowski threw for 323 and 2 TD.
Incarnate Word beat Houston Christian 45-24. QB Zach Calzada threw for 404 and 4 TD.
Northern Arizona beat Eastern Washington 49-42. RB Devon Starling ran for 125 and 1 TD.
North Dakota State beat Northern Iowa 48-27. QB Cam Miller threw for 238 and 2 TD.
Idaho beat Idaho State 63-21. QB Jack Layne threw for 275 and 6 TD.
FCS Upset: Dayton beat Davidson 45-14. RB Luke Hansen ran for 162.
Weber State beat Cal Poly 48-21. QB Richie Munoz threw for 329 and 5 TD.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Toledo and Tulane have locked in 11 win seasons after beating Central Michigan and UTSA (8-4 themselves) respectively. Memphis beat Temple and Ohio beat Akron giving both of those schools a 9-3 record. Boise State knocked off Air Force sending AF to 8-4 with 4 straight losses.

While other matchups may get bigger play, there are a couple quietly big games in the mid-conferences
#1: Conference USA has 8-3 Jacksonville State traveling to 9-3 New Mexico State
#2: In the Sun Belt, 10-1 James Madison travels to 7-4 Coastal Carolina with two former FCS teams looking to put their stamps on the end of the season against each other.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
FCS Playoffs Round 1
Sacramento State beat North Dakota 42-35. QB Kaiden Bennett threw for 207 and 1 TD & ran for 126 and 2 TD.
Richmond beat NC Central 49-27. QB Kyle Wickersham threw for 291 and 3 TD
Delaware beat Lafayette 36-34. WR Joshua Youngblood was 6-79-1.
Mercer beat Gardner-Webb 17-7. WR Ty James was 7-100
Southern Illinois shut out Nicholls 35-0. RB Ro Elliott ran for 111 and 2 TD
Chattanooga beat Austin Peay 24-21. WR Javin Whatley was 5-97-1
North Dakota State steamrolled Drake 66-3. QB Cam Miller threw for 206 and 2 TD
Youngstown State sailed past Duquesne 40-7. QB Mitch Davidson threw for 316 and 2 TD.

2nd Round Matchups. Lots of familiar teams in the grouping here with some intriguing new ones (Furman, Mercer, Delaware, Idaho)
Richmond @ Albany
Youngstown State @ Villanova
Chattanooga @ Furman
Sacramento State @ South Dakota
Mercer @ South Dakota State
North Dakota State @ Montana State
Delaware @ Montana
Southern Illinois @ Idaho

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Oklahoma OC Jeff Lebby has been announced as the new HC at Mississippi State. Seth Littrell & Joe Jon Finley will be Co-OC for Oklahoma in 2024.

Bobby Petrino is BACK at Arkansas as OC

San Diego State has hired former booted Colorado OC Sean Lewis as their new HC.

Grambling State is also moving on from Hue Jackson after just 2 seasons.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Washington locked in its CFP spot with a win over Oregon. More importantly, Liberty went 13-0 knocking off a very good New Mexico State team 49-35 to win the C-USA Title. Will be curious to see the bowl game they get but they now stand as yet another reason for the future FBS Playoff Expansion as they did all they could and even cracked the Top 25.

Indiana hired Curt Cignetti from James Madison after he went 52-9 at James Madison including a jump from FCS to FBS.

QB James McCloud is reportedly entering the transfer portal. I'm not sure how (unless he gets a 5th RS Senior year?) as he started at USF, transferred to Arizona for 2021 & 2022, then transferred to James Madison for the 2023 season. QB Cam Ward is also entering the transfer portal after 2 seasons at Washington State and 2 seasons at Incarnate Word (he's never quite matched his 2021 season of 4,648 passing and 47 TD).

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Well it’s literally a new sponsorship. That’s how corporate sponsors work.

They aren’t going to put your brand on the field unless are paid for that.

Sex Machine Gun

Kotzenjunge
Reaction score
Well yeah, duh, it's just something I've never seen before from WWE and I didn't really wonder about that secondary stuff beyond the big obvious ones like naming rights for bowls and shit.

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Well this is a very interesting outcome for sure. Texas has the best win of the six teams vying to get in. And it looks like they and a Power 5 undefeated team are the two that won’t get in.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Lots of beatdowns in the 2nd Round of the FCS Playoffs... Idaho continues to legitimately be one of my favorite success stories to follow this CFB season.

- Albany beat Richmond 41-13. RB Griffin Woodell ran for 96 and 1 TD.
- Villanova beat Youngstown State 45-28. RB Jalen Jackson ran for 82 and 2 TD.
- Furman beat Chattanooga 26-7. RB Grant Robinson ran for 62.
- South Dakota beat Sacramento State 34-24. RB Charlies Pierre Jr ran for 123 on just 13 carries
- South Dakota State shutout Mercer 41-0. RB Isaiah Davis continued his beastly season running for 117 and 3 TD
- North Dakota State snuck past Montana State in OT 35-34. RB Tamerik Williams ran for 162 and 2 TD on 11 carries
- Montana rolled Delaware 49-19. WR Keelan White was 4-88-1 TD
- Idaho(!) beat Southern Illinois 20-17 in OT. WR Hayden Hatten was 6-111.

Quarterfinal Matchups
#8 Villanova @ #1 South Dakota State
North Dakota State @ #3 South Dakota [Fuck yeah. I love "rivalry" games getting playoff matchups]
#4 Idaho @ #5 Albany
#2 Montana @ #7 Furman

Last edited:

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
How do you think NDSU matches up against South Dakota here? And I assume the game is at South Dakota?

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Well this is a very interesting outcome for sure. Texas has the best win of the six teams vying to get in. And it looks like they and a Power 5 undefeated team are the two that won’t get in.

You have to do the 3 undefeated teams and Texas in my mind. Anything else is just sniffing the SEC’s butt.

I am not just saying this cause Florida State is probably the undefeated team left out in the cold since they’re down two quarterbacks and the ACC is poop.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
How do you think NDSU matches up against South Dakota here? And I assume the game is at South Dakota?
Game is at South Dakota I believe.

They actually played earlier in the season and South Dakota won a tight one (24-19) but I think NDSU is getting hot at the right moment. Montana State's QB went nuts against NDSU (ran for 150+, threw for 200+) and South Dakota's QB Aidan Bouman is a pocket QB.

My gut says NDSU pulls off the win thanks to a stronger rushing attack and the ability to control the ball. South Dakota has a shot if they let Bouman air it out and the defense can mostly keep the run in check but he'll need to throw it more than just the 12 times he did in their earlier meeting.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
FSU is out

I'm guessing the committee was in "fuck it, we won't matter as much ever again" mode and just put them in. Or they wanted Bama in but couldn't do it without Texas, giving FSU the shaft.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
FSU is out

I'm guessing the committee was in "fuck it, we won't matter as much ever again" mode and just put them in. Or they wanted Bama in but couldn't do it without Texas, giving FSU the shaft.
"For many of us, today's decision by the committee has forever damaged the credibility of the institution that is the College Football Playoff," FSU AD Michael Alford said. "And, saddest of all, it was self-inflicted. They chose predictive competitiveness over proven performance; subjectivity over fact. They have become a committee of prognosticators. They have abandoned their responsibility by discarding their purpose – to evaluate performance on the field."

I agree with his sentiment but seeing years of mid-level majors going undefeated only to get shafted to a 2nd-tier or 3rd-tier bowl game... welcome to reality, dude. That's been the case since the BCS Era and the "playoff era" started. Committees (and computers) have always overrated SOS (in my opinion) at the cost of the actual W/L record of a team on the field.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Honestly, it might be for the best for FSU cause they would have gotten mollywhopped by whatever team they were going to face in the CFP. Now they have a better chance of winning their bowl game and saying "We're the uncrowned national championship."

Plus personally, FSU not being in the CFP means that BC gets shafted to a "second tier" bowl and probably doesn't have to play in the Fenway or Pinstripe Bowl! Nothing I want to see less than them stumble over their dick in 20 degree weather. Now we'll see them stumble over their own dick in Birmingham or Tampa!

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
"For many of us, today's decision by the committee has forever damaged the credibility of the institution that is the College Football Playoff," FSU AD Michael Alford said. "And, saddest of all, it was self-inflicted. They chose predictive competitiveness over proven performance; subjectivity over fact. They have become a committee of prognosticators. They have abandoned their responsibility by discarding their purpose – to evaluate performance on the field."

I agree with his sentiment but seeing years of mid-level majors going undefeated only to get shafted to a 2nd-tier or 3rd-tier bowl game... welcome to reality, dude. That's been the case since the BCS Era and the "playoff era" started. Committees (and computers) have always overrated SOS (in my opinion) at the cost of the actual W/L record of a team on the field.
It's not really the same thing, it's just the excuse they used for keeping FSU out. It was unprecedented that an undefeated power-5 school got left out. Everyone knew FSU deserved to be in, but the committee didn't want to risk a situation where FSU gets wasted by Michigan a la Georgia-TCU (which I don't think would have happened). It was a convenient excuse to not leave an SEC team out of the playoff. Obviously, I'm selfishly fine with it and can justify it to a certain extent, but I was making those arguments thinking FSU was going to 100% be in.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I mean this could be absolutely devastating long term for the ACC. I mean they were already strongly at risk of being Pac 12'd but now you have to think FSU and Clemson are looking to leave after this.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I mean this could be absolutely devastating long term for the ACC. I mean they were already strongly at risk of being Pac 12'd but now you have to think FSU and Clemson are looking to leave after this.
It was gonna happen anyway

Broward83

Integral Poster
Reaction score
FSU should have been in.

Out of Michigan / Washington, I wanted whatever situation kept us in the Sugar Bowl. A (hopefully) pro Texas crowd and a win lets us play a glorified home game in Houston.